•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wireless control of my observatory computer - Any suggestions?

Observatory
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gordo Bulger

Gordo Bulger

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2021 - 08:16 AM

I am using TeamViewer to control my observatory through ethernet but graphics are a bit low res for me. We are at a remote location so internet is not available here. Any suggestions on setting up a stand alone wireless control system to control my observatory computer?  I also have a Starizona focuser with wireless remote. I would like to be able to use the wireless focuser hand controller from the house as well. I know programs such as APT allow focuser control over the ethernet but I would still like to use my wireless manual push button controller as well.

Thanks

Gordon

#2 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 29 May 2021 - 09:04 AM

It would seem that a basic WiFi setup would work here, even if you are not connected to the internet.  You'd need a router and a wireless access point (at least one).  Depending upon the distances involved, you may need a wireless directional antenna setup as well.

However, your posts suggests that you already have an ethernet connection, so I suspect your problem isn't the connectivity. Have you tried an alternative to TeamViewer? (BTW, I assume you have set up TeamViewer so you are using direct LAN mode.)

If your observatory computer is running Windows Pro you should be able to run RNC and that would seem to be a better solution.

• numchuck likes this

#3 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 29 May 2021 - 09:13 AM

I’m betting ‘accept point’ in the first paragraph above, is really ‘access point’ - don’t you just love ‘auto-correct’?

#4 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 29 May 2021 - 10:04 AM

I’m betting ‘accept point’ in the first paragraph above, is really ‘access point’ - don’t you just love ‘auto-correct’?

Correction maid. ;)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics