•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looks like a Criterion 6" in Texas on Craigs list

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:17 PM

I just purchased a RV-6 so can't get this but maybe somebody out there might want to know. Craigs list has what appears to be a Criterion 6 on sale for $400. Price is also out of my reach right now. Here's a link. Criterion 6 If nothing else, the pics are great. Very pretty scope.

#2 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:49 PM

There may be some collectability on the 6" SCT and it might be a fine scope. But when Criterion tried to compete with Celestron for SCT models, it was the beginning of their end. They weren't received too well by the viewing public and Celestron beat them on sales, hands down.
Bonco

#3 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

true, they were not known for having the best optics but I have heard of several 6" versions that were decent to good optically. Sure is a pretty scope though.. You gotta admit that...

#4 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:33 PM

Daren,
I agree, it's a good looking scope and the mount and tripod appear to be of superior quality.
Bonco

#5 bobbie

bobbie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:17 PM

Yes mount and tripod are good, and it will perform on deep sky objects like a six inch, if that's what you want. Planets will probably be a very different story, but so what - skies are rarely that good anyway. But, ... four hundred US dollars???? I'd want to know it was a good one.

#6 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:57 AM

I once observed near some guys who had a 6" Criterion SCT at Zion National Park. I was using my old 6" first generation AP f/8 triplet. We both looked at M31. Compared to what I was seeing, the SCT view was a dim smudge with many fewer field stars. I concluded it was the worst 6" scope I'd ever seen.

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:45 AM

There are deals to be had on Craigslist but I don't think this is one of em...

Jon

#8 tbourg

tbourg

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:01 AM

Hello,

I owned the 8" Criterion SCT and I wouldn't recommend it. If the 6" is of equal quality I wouldn't consider it for half the asking price.

My astronomy hobby began in 1961 with a 4" Dynascope and I waited the better part of a year for the 8" SCT because I thought so highly of Criterion. I was deeply disappointed that the company had fallen so far. It was obvious the company was cutting corners for financial reasons.

If I remember correctly, though, the optics weren't bad. I got some good views of the planets, moon, and deep sky. Maybe the 6", being lighter, would not suffer from some of the problems of the 8".

Clear skies.

Tom B.

#9 blandp11

blandp11

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

The reputation of Criterion SCTs is as bad as the reputation of Criterion Newtonians is good. Stock advice for these is stay away.

Philip

#10 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

The Dynamax 6 is very tightly baffled.
So tight, that to get 6" of aperture for an on-axis image, you have to use the scope without a star diagonal (ie. straight thru).
Use a star diagonal and the change in primary mirror position results in the baffle tube cutting the clear aperture down to nearer 5".

But, it sure is a handsome looking scope! :cool:

#11 refractory

refractory

Apollo

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:11 PM

Since people started talking about Craigs the other week, I started checking their webpages out. They certainly don't make it easy to do a nationwide search do they?? What is their policy on interstate or nonlocal sales/offers?

Jess Tauber

#12 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

They make searching outside of the local area, even local city difficult. I don't know there policy but just try to search the state of California or Texas.

#13 habsburg8

habsburg8

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:12 PM

In the past month or so there have been TWO vintage Criterion RV-6 6" f/8 Dynascopes listed on www.craigslist.com in the Portland, Oregon area. They were offered by separate sellers, but were both priced in the $100-125 range. I got one of them (very minor restoration project), while another member of my astronomy club got the other one. Great scopes from a past era! Haven't yet compared them optically to a Criterion 6" or 8" SCT.

#14 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:49 PM

The Criterion RV6 Newtonians are known to be excellent telescopes. The SCT's offered by Criterion did not hold the same standards of optical quality/ performance. Criterion soon went out of business when they tried to compete with Celestron in the SCT market.
Bonco

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics