•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece Replacement?

Eyepieces Observing Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ezzz

Ezzz

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cochrane, Alberta, Canada

Posted 30 May 2021 - 10:33 AM

Hey Folks,

Just got a new Omax microscope, and have been very impressed so far. My question is - Should I replace the eyepieces that the scope came with? Would there be a significant difference in the viewing experience if I did?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Ezzz

Edited by Ezzz, 30 May 2021 - 12:16 PM.

#2 Couder

Couder

Apollo

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 30 May 2021 - 01:17 PM

If it works like it is, why change? However, I suppose says the guy with boxes of eyepieces, it never hurts to have another pair to try.

• Ezzz likes this

#3 Ezzz

Ezzz

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2021 - 03:13 PM

Thanks!

Do you have any you would recommend? Wide field?

#4 Couder

Couder

Apollo

Posted 30 May 2021 - 05:15 PM

A little confused - you say you got a new microscope, then say scope. Either way, you can't go wrong with wide and narrow field. It depends on your seeing conditions, assuming you mean telescope. Many people like a variable power eyepiece, some like high-end eyepieces, some like decent ones. It's a lot like asking which accessories to get with your new car, everybody has their own opinion/uses. 

#5 Ezzz

Ezzz

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2021 - 05:26 PM

Yes. Sorry, I mean Microscope. I’m so used to saying scope on on the astronomy posts.

I was just curious if you had any recommendations on any brands that carry microscope oculars. I’ve seen a couple that advertise as Plan Oculars, not sure if it would be worth it or not.

I guess, in the end, what I am wondering is if you compare buying a new microscope scope to that of a new telescope... you always toss the eyepieces that the telescope came with and buy better ones (Televue, Baader, etc). Is it the same for microscopes? Do you toss the ones it came with and buy new higher-end oculars?

Thanks

#6 Couder

Couder

Apollo

Posted 30 May 2021 - 06:07 PM

I have several microscopes, many use the same screw-in type eyepieces. I just keep them all, buy new (or new to me) eyepieces when one catches my eye. I have one that uses 2 eyepieces, they seem to be an odd size so I make my own adapters and use .965 eyepieces. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer a narrow field in my microscopes, but a wider field in my scopes. Possibly because I can get all the light I need with the microscopes!

The attached picture shows an adapter I made for a small microscope filar micrometer, so I can use it in the larger microscope.

Attached Thumbnails

• Cooke Troughton and Sims Filar Micrometer 02.jpg

• Ezzz likes this

#7 Ezzz

Ezzz

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2021 - 07:52 PM

Now that is one interesting piece. Never seen anything like it before. 

#8 Couder

Couder

Apollo

Posted 31 May 2021 - 08:52 AM

If you're still around: I have several filar micrometers. Most are like the one pictured above, but one is huge, picture attached. Since it looks like you're collecting microscopes, another thing to watch out for is the photography attachment in the last 2 pictures. Unfortunately this one does not fit my camera, but it is still a nice collectible.

Attached Thumbnails

• Manent Filar micrometer (21s).jpg
  • Clipboard-1.jpg
  • Clipboard-2.jpg

#9 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 01 June 2021 - 06:54 PM

Eyepieces are a rather personal thing.  Plus, we have no idea of which eyepieces you specifically have nor what you feel could be improved.  

I didn't like my kit microscope eyepieces for the same reasons I didn't like my kit telescope eyepieces.  The kit eyepieces didn't have enough eye relief for my eyeglasses and preferences.  The kit eyepieces had tiny top lenses which compounded the lack of eye relief problem.  And, of course, a wider field of view is almost always appreciated.  

I quickly replaced my kit telescope eyepieces way back when and chose a full set of Baader eyepieces.  I also quickly went on a search for more appropriate microscope eyepieces.  I have to say that finding the right eyepieces for my binocular compound microscope was a long, arduous search.  After almost a year of on again and off again searching, I finally found some eyepieces on eBay that I found were great for my specific needs.  

Patrick

• Ezzz likes this

#10 Ezzz

Ezzz

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:01 PM

Eyepieces are a rather personal thing.  Plus, we have no idea of which eyepieces you specifically have nor what you feel could be improved.  

I didn't like my kit microscope eyepieces for the same reasons I didn't like my kit telescope eyepieces.  The kit eyepieces didn't have enough eye relief for my eyeglasses and preferences.  The kit eyepieces had tiny top lenses which compounded the lack of eye relief problem.  And, of course, a wider field of view is almost always appreciated.  

I quickly replaced my kit telescope eyepieces way back when and chose a full set of Baader eyepieces.  I also quickly went on a search for more appropriate microscope eyepieces.  I have to say that finding the right eyepieces for my binocular compound microscope was a long, arduous search.  After almost a year of on again and off again searching, I finally found some eyepieces on eBay that I found were great for my specific needs.  

Patrick

Thanks Patrick!

May I ask why it was so arduous? I was toying with the idea of picking up a set for my bino compound as well. Something that offers longer eye relief as well. The ones that they came with are 10x18 WF, with quite a bit of vignetting. Not sure if a pair of 10x22/23 will help or not.

Eric

#11 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:46 AM

There were a few problems I encountered through my search.  One was finding long eye relief eyepieces in the smaller 23.2mm size.  I was finding that the 30mm size is more common but my microscope uses 23.2mm eyepieces.  The other really big problem was that I wanted the largest top eye lens possible.  Far too many microscope eyepieces have a very small top eye lens.  Being that my eye is placed away from the eyepiece because of my eyeglasses, I really needed a larger top eye lens for both comfort as well as for seeing the whole field.  This proved to be very difficult to find.  

I came close to purchasing a couple of used Olympus eyepieces.  I don't like buying things used though so I was hesitant.  Also, I need two of the exact same eyepieces and was having trouble finding exact pairs.  I kept the Olympus eyepieces I found in a saved list in case I decided to go that route though.

I ended up finding these...  10x 22mm eyepieces...  and they were exactly what I was hoping to find.  As I said, I didn't stumble upon these until about year into my search.  These eyepieces (I purchased two of them for my binocular compound microscope) are very comfortable to use for me so that was a success.

I had already upgraded my objectives to PLAN objectives.  The objective upgrade was the most significant as far as image quality.  My views are now sharp to the edge.  This eyepiece upgrade made viewing far more comfortable too.  Oh yeah...  plus, these provide a wider view than my previous 18mm kit eyepieces.  That was noticeable too.  Comfort was really my primary concern.  Next was a big top eye lens and a wider view.  I got all of that with these new eyepieces.

I rarely use more power or need more power than the 10x eyepieces provide but I did some searching for eyepieces in the 15-20x range with the same characteristics...  long eye relief and a big top eye lens...  and in the 23.2mm size.  I had no luck in finding that.  It seems like the more powerful eyepieces get smaller and smaller in eye relief as well as the top eye lens.  

Patrick

• Ezzz likes this

#12 Ezzz

Ezzz

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:27 PM

There were a few problems I encountered through my search.  One was finding long eye relief eyepieces in the smaller 23.2mm size.  I was finding that the 30mm size is more common but my microscope uses 23.2mm eyepieces.  The other really big problem was that I wanted the largest top eye lens possible.  Far too many microscope eyepieces have a very small top eye lens.  Being that my eye is placed away from the eyepiece because of my eyeglasses, I really needed a larger top eye lens for both comfort as well as for seeing the whole field.  This proved to be very difficult to find.  

I came close to purchasing a couple of used Olympus eyepieces.  I don't like buying things used though so I was hesitant.  Also, I need two of the exact same eyepieces and was having trouble finding exact pairs.  I kept the Olympus eyepieces I found in a saved list in case I decided to go that route though.

I ended up finding these...  10x 22mm eyepieces...  and they were exactly what I was hoping to find.  As I said, I didn't stumble upon these until about year into my search.  These eyepieces (I purchased two of them for my binocular compound microscope) are very comfortable to use for me so that was a success.

I had already upgraded my objectives to PLAN objectives.  The objective upgrade was the most significant as far as image quality.  My views are now sharp to the edge.  This eyepiece upgrade made viewing far more comfortable too.  Oh yeah...  plus, these provide a wider view than my previous 18mm kit eyepieces.  That was noticeable too.  Comfort was really my primary concern.  Next was a big top eye lens and a wider view.  I got all of that with these new eyepieces.

I rarely use more power or need more power than the 10x eyepieces provide but I did some searching for eyepieces in the 15-20x range with the same characteristics...  long eye relief and a big top eye lens...  and in the 23.2mm size.  I had no luck in finding that.  It seems like the more powerful eyepieces get smaller and smaller in eye relief as well as the top eye lens.  

Patrick

Thanks Patrick!

I will take a serious look at the eyepieces in your link. Price is pretty good. I have 1 60x plan objective coming, it’s only a matter of time before I upgrade the rest. No quality control issues with the eyepieces?

Eric

#13 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 02 June 2021 - 04:12 PM

"No quality control issues with the eyepieces?"

I haven't noticed any problems nor heard of problems.  Then again, I don't know anyone else with these eyepieces.  

I upgraded my 4x, 10x and 40x plus I chose to add a 20x.  So, for now, I have 4x, 10x, 20x and 40x PLAN objectives on my turret.  I do plan to get 60x and 100x PLAN objectives but I'm in no hurry for those.  Actually, I attempted to get the 60x PLAN this past Christmas but there were none in stock.  They sent me an objective that wouldn't even work on my microscope instead so I sent it back.  These last two objectives can wait.  I rarely use them.  

Patrick

• Ezzz likes this

#14 Ezzz

Ezzz

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2021 - 12:25 AM

"No quality control issues with the eyepieces?"

I haven't noticed any problems nor heard of problems.  Then again, I don't know anyone else with these eyepieces.  

I upgraded my 4x, 10x and 40x plus I chose to add a 20x.  So, for now, I have 4x, 10x, 20x and 40x PLAN objectives on my turret.  I do plan to get 60x and 100x PLAN objectives but I'm in no hurry for those.  Actually, I attempted to get the 60x PLAN this past Christmas but there were none in stock.  They sent me an objective that wouldn't even work on my microscope instead so I sent it back.  These last two objectives can wait.  I rarely use them.  

Patrick

Thanks for all your advice, Patrick! 
Eric

#15 Ezzz

Ezzz

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:01 PM

Thanks Patrick!

I will take a serious look at the eyepieces in your link. Price is pretty good. I have 1 60x plan objective coming, it’s only a matter of time before I upgrade the rest. No quality control issues with the eyepieces?

Eric

Alright! Just ordered a pair. I look forward to them arriving!

Eric

• PatrickVt likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces, Observing, Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics