•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Minimalist Observatories

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 30 May 2021 - 12:57 PM

I was looking through this forum looking for minimalist observatories........and after scrolling through five pages of thread titles, I found surprisingly few ideas. 

I am thinking of the things that I already have. I have a pier in my backyard, completely set up with the scope, power, everything I need to conduct a session. I unlock a door, roll the box away, flip a few switches, and start imaging.

I see also:

.....https://www.pierplates.com/motel.html Motel-O-Scope. Flip the cover off, and ready to go. 

.....RAC19 has  . His Mini Observatory

.... HONGMING has  Same idea. Just cover the scope, and uncover as needed. 

....And just for the record, my    The Outhouse Observatory....In its simplest form, open the door, roll it away, and start it up. 

(On Edit.....note....I tried to include links to RAC19 and HONGMING (here on Cloudy Nights OBS forum) and my own website for my example.....but for some reason, the system is not showing them. )

I'm not talking small roll off roofs, or small domes. As a matter of fact, I'm not looking for any thing much bigger than four foot by four foot or so---just big enough to hold an assembled and ready to go telescope and imaging system. 

Who has  or has seen some good ones that they can provide a picture or especially link me to so I can get some ideas for how other people have done this. 

Alex

(And while I realize, I cannot control where the thread leads, please, just link to them or display them. Let's not use this thread to comment or ask questions about a particular edition of one, or about a particular design. If you want to discuss relative merits, please head back to that thread to discuss it, or start a new thread on that particular design. Thanks.) 

Edited by Alex McConahay, 30 May 2021 - 04:28 PM.

#2 John Miele

John Miele

Aurora

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 30 May 2021 - 01:14 PM

Hi Alex,

I am building a motel-o-scope housing right now. Should be done in a week or two (I move slowly on these things!). I'll post you some pics and a quick report when I am done.

Like you, I wanted the absolutely smallest structure that would do the job and the motel-o-scope looked to be it. I'm using the 1" thick foil covered Lowes insulation panels but truth be told, they have me a teensy bit concerned whether they are strong enough to withstand heavy wind gust. So much so that I went beyond the standard build instructions and I reinforced the side panels with aluminum angles. We shall see how it goes...it's all just a bunch of parts on the garage floor right now...

cs...John

Edited by John Miele, 30 May 2021 - 01:14 PM.

#3 bugbit

bugbit

Vendor - Octopi-Astro

• Vendors
  • Loc: west of seattle

Posted 30 May 2021 - 01:46 PM

Paul Bunyon observatory.jpg

• psandelle, R Botero, DHEB and 10 others like this

#4 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Apollo

Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:49 PM

My Crescent Moon...

Attached Thumbnails

• 2Crescentmoon-big.jpg
  • 3Crescentmoon-big.jpg

• R Botero, GrandadCast and GaryShaw like this

#5 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 30 May 2021 - 03:41 PM

Here's one I found on the web. It's pretty much what I have to do to enclose my Newtonian.

BTW, I'm pretty impressed by the Motel o'scope...only works with a wedge I guess.

Thanks for your post!

Gary

image0.jpeg

• gonzothegreat, bugbit, pioneercomputing and 1 other like this

#6 gonzothegreat

gonzothegreat

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 August 2021 - 03:01 AM

Here's my very compact remote observatory to give you an idea.

post-204198-0-85029000-1602867342.jpg

post-204198-0-79877300-1602867352.jpg

post-204198-0-61472700-1602867367.jpg

• psandelle, R Botero and elpajare like this

#7 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:34 PM

I was looking through this forum looking for minimalist observatories........and after scrolling through five pages of thread titles, I found surprisingly few ideas. 

I am thinking of the things that I already have. I have a pier in my backyard, completely set up with the scope, power, everything I need to conduct a session. I unlock a door, roll the box away, flip a few switches, and start imaging.

I see also:

.....https://www.pierplates.com/motel.html Motel-O-Scope. Flip the cover off, and ready to go. 

.....RAC19 has  . His Mini Observatory

.... HONGMING has  Same idea. Just cover the scope, and uncover as needed. 

....And just for the record, my    The Outhouse Observatory....In its simplest form, open the door, roll it away, and start it up. 

(On Edit.....note....I tried to include links to RAC19 and HONGMING (here on Cloudy Nights OBS forum) and my own website for my example.....but for some reason, the system is not showing them. )

I'm not talking small roll off roofs, or small domes. As a matter of fact, I'm not looking for any thing much bigger than four foot by four foot or so---just big enough to hold an assembled and ready to go telescope and imaging system. 

Who has  or has seen some good ones that they can provide a picture or especially link me to so I can get some ideas for how other people have done this. 

Alex

(And while I realize, I cannot control where the thread leads, please, just link to them or display them. Let's not use this thread to comment or ask questions about a particular edition of one, or about a particular design. If you want to discuss relative merits, please head back to that thread to discuss it, or start a new thread on that particular design. Thanks.) 

My minimalist solution.

https://www.cloudyni...e-shed-dry-run/

Chris

#8 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:43 PM

From AAVSO and Richard Berry....some interesting thoughts in there.  As Richard Berry says, you really want a light roof.

https://www.youtube....h?v=5RbpUKwubsw

I built a simple observatory is a day.

The maximum size for a small observatory is 8X8 with a take-off roof.  The walls are bolt-together, the roof is a simple take-off and the floor is pressure treated wood with plywood floor.

Worked great and is cheaper than a plastic shed. 

I expanded it to a 10X16 observatory and that was quite a bit more difficult, but the bolt-together walls still worked great.  The roof is really the issue once you expand the size above 8X8.

I then retro-fitted the 10X16 to a 10X10.  You don't want to retro-fit.  Start clean with new materials.

The problem is that there are REALLY talented builders in the amateur astronomy community.  That set's up all us really bad carpenters for failure.  

If your talented, go for it.  If your not....watch the video and keep is ugly and simple.

Edited by vsteblina, 03 August 2021 - 09:44 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics