•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Glitches with remote observatories

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PABresler

PABresler

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Osos, Ca

Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:00 PM

I have an observatory in my yard which I usually operate remotely from my house. Sometimes things happen though and I need to go out there, like a camera disconnecting in software. The only way to get it back is to plug it in again. How do you handle that with a remote observatory which really is remote?

Peter

• archer1960 likes this

#2 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:51 PM

In my case, I found that cycling the power is usually sufficient to bring things back, so I bought an IP controlled 8-poistion relay bank, which allows me to cycle the power to most of my components individually. If that fails, I can cycle the power to the entire rig and/or the computer via an IP-controlled power strip. So generally the only thing I have to go outside for is to remove the cover at the beginning of the night.

• Raginar likes this

#3 ac4lt

ac4lt

Viking 1

• Loc: Shenandoah Valley

Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:52 PM

The Pegasus Astro Ultimate Power Box v2 can cycle its USB ports effectively unplugging and re-plugging in the USB cable. Definitely helpful for remote situations.

• archer1960 likes this

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:58 PM

You yet again call your brother who owns the country estate. He yet again agrees to climb out of bed and take a look... but this time adds that he's decided to plant corn right on that exact spot next week.    Tom

• John Miele, Astrola72 and t-ara-fan like this

#5 PABresler

PABresler

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Osos, Ca

Posted 30 May 2021 - 03:41 PM

That sounds like a good solution, but not really necessary for my situation since I can easily go out there to re-plug.

It sounds like a nice observatory you have there. Why are you selling it? I am not too familiar with the real estate market at that location. Say you value the observatory and scope at $50,000. That leaves $440,000 for the house. That sounds pricey for a pre-fab house in a remote location?

Peter

#6 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 30 May 2021 - 10:07 PM

Sometimes it gets fixed by cycling the power......SOmetimes I have to pull the USB cable (my camera and filter wheel in particular), wait five seconds, and plug it back in. Is there a device similar to the power controller that will cycle a USB port?

Alex

#7 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 31 May 2021 - 02:19 AM

Sometimes it gets fixed by cycling the power......SOmetimes I have to pull the USB cable (my camera and filter wheel in particular), wait five seconds, and plug it back in. Is there a device similar to the power controller that will cycle a USB port?

Alex

Pegasus Ultimate Power Box will do this and is really good. 

I also have one of these (link below), which is quite simply the best USB hub I have every used. I have 2 full frame CMOS cameras, a 1600mm and several guide cameras and this hub handles them all, at the same time, easily. You can cycle all the ports individually and you can also connect it to 2 computers and switch between them. This is a really really useful function for mission critical kit like your observatory roof. Expensive, but well worth it. Also programmable. 

https://acroname.com...e/s79-usbhub-3p

Edited by SimonIRE, 31 May 2021 - 02:21 AM.

#8 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Soyuz

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 31 May 2021 - 09:08 AM

I've also use software that supports resetting a USB port at the computer. If this doesn't work, removing the driver and power recycling everything should also fix the problem but this is the equivalent of using a sledgehammer to kill a fly. Most of the time, power cycling the computer will do the trick.

#9 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 31 May 2021 - 09:44 AM

>>>>>>I've also use software that supports resetting a USB port at the computer.

What is the software?

I would imagine it should be in the operating system, right?

Alex

#10 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Soyuz

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:48 AM

>>>>>>I've also use software that supports resetting a USB port at the computer.

What is the software?

I would imagine it should be in the operating system, right?

Alex

Devcon, a downloadable Microsoft utility will do it. The program is difficult to use.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics