•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Book influence on early astro amateur career?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#26 AstronomyFred

AstronomyFred

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: North Rhine - Westphalia, Germany

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:17 PM

Hi all,

Quite interesting to see which books have shaped the beginning of our journey into Astronomy.

And Especially nice to see this in different Languages.

For me it was a book in Dutch, which my father purchased for me at our visit to the Eise Eisinga Planetarium in Franeker (The Netherlands).

This place is a marvel, well worth to look at their homepage, as I promise you it is nothing like you expect from the title as this is the oldest working planetarium in the world.

Link to English homepage: https://www.eisinga-planetarium.nl/en/

Anyways, the book is called "Blik op oneindig", which translates more or less into "View on Infinity".

It was published 1986 and I got around 1990. 

Govert Schilling is still a very talented science/astronomy writer and journalist, and this book is no exception.

I think that its strength lies in both descriptions what we see in the sky, explaining what it is, combined with very well described basics of astronomy.

It is not an observers handbook, I sadly did not have a good handbook for observing until much, much later, but I read this book cover to cover multiple times and this resulted in my first telescope; a Polarex 60/900mm. 

An Image of the very book I got when I was about 10 years old;

Blik op oneindig.jpg

Thanks to Govert Schilling, I found my way into the Astronomy hobby.

Clear Skies Everyone!

Fred

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics