•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Difference between 3mm,4mm and 5mm TV Delites

Eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:12 PM

The highest power Delite that I  own is the 5mm. I mostly view the Moon and planets. Wondering if there is much of a difference between the 3,4 and 5 to make it worth my while to buy the 3 and/or the 4. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Mark

• NC Startrekker likes this

#2 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:26 PM

So much depends on your sky conditions. The general rule of thumb is your highest power eyepiece is equal to the focal ratio of your optic. So at f/7 you have already passed that 5mm. I find this rule holds true for my scopes and sky conditions most nights of average to good seeing. However, there are those rare nights where high quality scopes can go much higher. If you feel like investing in eyepieces that you may only use 5% of the time then go for it. Hope this helps...waytogo.gif

• JohnnyMac, MarkGregory and PNW like this

#3 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:32 PM

Mark, the consistency is very good across the range, especially among the shorter focal lengths. If you really like your 5mm, the 4mm and 3mm will be more of the same.  You will like them as well as long as the resulting magnifications, FOV, and exit pupils fit your needs. Looking at the scopes in your signature block, 3 and 4mm eyepieces would prove very to be very useful additions to your kit unless you already have these general focal lengths covered with eyepieces already. 

• Kutno and MarkGregory like this

#4 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:32 PM

I really like my TV 3-6 Nagler Zoom on the Moon, Planets, and Double Stars with my Stellarvue 105mm Triplet F/7.  It gives a continuous power from 122x to 245x, and the best part is its parfocal throughout the whole range.

The Delite's have a little bigger AFOV (62* vs 50*) but I use a Go To Mount, so 50* is plenty, and I don't have to switch eyepieces all the time.  Its a real joy to use! waytogo.gif

Living only 13 miles from the Pacific Ocean, I get above average, or better seeing on many nights.  Using my Celestron Ultima barlow with the TV Zoom at 400x or more is not out of the question on the Moon, and Double Stars.

Edited by Astro-Master, 31 May 2021 - 07:45 PM.

• John Huntley, MarkGregory and Steve Cox like this

#5 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:35 PM

So much depends on your sky conditions. The general rule of thumb is your highest power eyepiece is equal to the focal ratio of your optic. So at f/7 you have already passed that 5mm. I find this rule holds true for my scopes and sky conditions most nights of average to good seeing. However, there are those rare nights where high quality scopes can go much higher. If you feel like investing in eyepieces that you may only use 5% of the time then go for it. Hope this helps...waytogo.gif

What I am wondering is, will the 3 or 4 show “that much more” detail on the Moon than the 5? I do get your point about spending big bucks on an ocular that will be rarely used. I’ll definitely take that into consideration. Sometimes I do get caught up in the “gotta have” mode. Not really a good thing to do. Mark 

#6 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:37 PM

Mark, the consistency is very good across the range, especially among the shorter focal lengths. If you really like your 5mm, the 4mm and 3mm will be more of the same.  You will like them as well as long as the resulting magnifications, FOV, and exit pupils fit your needs. Looking at the scopes in your signature block, 3 and 4mm eyepieces would prove very to be very useful additions to your kit unless you already have these general focal lengths covered with eyepieces already. 

Good points. I will consider your comments in my thought process. Thanks much. 

#7 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:37 PM

I have the 3mm and 5mm, skipped the 4mm. The 3mm is the absolute highest mag I can use in my 72ED and 90FD. The 5mm is the highest for the 100ED APO. I like to split binaries and hunt remote carbon stars so having the 3mm is the best I can do. IMO, there is enough magnification difference between the 3 and 5mm to warrant owning the 3mm and skip the 4mm.

I'm not much of a planetary observer but the 3mm with a suitable "moon filter" will bring up more detail. However, I think the 3mm is more sensitive to atmospherics so one has to factor that in.

Clear skies.

Edited by BlueMoon, 31 May 2021 - 07:41 PM.

• MarkGregory and sevenofnine like this

#8 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:38 PM

I have the 3mm and 5mm, skipped the 4mm. The 3mm is the absolute highest mag I can use in my 72ED and 90FD. The 5mm is the highest for the 100ED APO. I like to split binaries and hunt remote carbon stars so having the 3mm is the best I can do. IMO, there is enough magnification difference between the 3 and 5mm to warrant owning the 3mm and skip the 4mm.

Clear skies.

Aha, just the kind of input I am looking for. Thank you much.

#9 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 May 2021 - 08:52 PM

Get both the 3mm and 4mm DeLites.  The Tele Vue 85 easily provides fine lunar and planetary images at 200x and 150x.  The DeLite clan performs very nicely and consistently across all of the focal lengths I have used.  

• george tatsis likes this

#10 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2021 - 09:22 PM

Like Astro-master, I also own and regularly use a TV 3-6 Zoom.  To maybe answer your question of will a 3mm Delite show you more detail than a 5mm?  Well, that depends on your scope, seeing conditions and what you're viewing.  Most of the time, in my 6" f/8 or 4" f/7, the 3mm setting on the Moon or Saturn doesn't show anymore detail, but often does help make the finest details a bit easier to see, though at the expense of slightly reduced sharpness.  However, on nights of very good seeing, the 3mm setting will help me see details that are at the limit of one of my scopes' resolution - think Plato craterlets.  Also, if you ever spend anytime on close high contrast doubles, like Sirius, then the 4mm and 3mm settings are definitely handy.  And if I'm looking at Mars, I want all the magnification my scopes can give me.

• MarkGregory, Astro-Master and AJK 547 like this

#11 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 31 May 2021 - 10:09 PM

One area of observing that you may find the higher/est magnification of real benefit is in splitting double stars at the threshold for you aperture, providing seeing will support the increase. It really depends on your telescope/s, object of observation and seeing.

When I tried the DeLites I found all the focal lengths to be consistently excellent. That assumes above average seeing that will support the focal length in use.

Randy

• Kutno, Astro-Master, AJK 547 and 1 other like this

#12 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:28 AM

I'm not much of a planetary observer but the 3mm with a suitable "moon filter" will bring up more detail. 

Seriously ? The small exit pupil in itself will act as a "moon filter" and will bring down the brightness. 

The 4mm will be a good step up from your 5mm even in your TV-85 . It is especially true when you try to match the unstable seeing conditions . The zoom is king of this game .  

#13 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 01 June 2021 - 05:20 AM

Nikon EiC16 1.6X Barlow is very good optically, and will give you higher magnification, but not too high, from your 5mm Delite.   

• russell23 likes this

#14 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:53 AM

Seriously ? The small exit pupil in itself will act as a "moon filter" and will bring down the brightness.

The filter is useful for reducing glare, or "moon glow" at any exit pupil which enhances detail. Reducing brightness is a side-effect.

Edited by BlueMoon, 01 June 2021 - 09:52 AM.

#15 Mrrodgerdelodger

Mrrodgerdelodger

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Leicestershire, UK

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:51 AM

Hi

I use a 4mm Delite on my TSA120, for 225x. I want to go higher magnification and thinking of buying the 3mm for 300x. I reckon this scope can easily take this in fair seeing.
Anyone on here used it with this scope? Or any better suggestion?

Thanks, John
  • MarkGregory likes this

#16 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:06 AM

Like Astro-master, I also own and regularly use a TV 3-6 Zoom.  To maybe answer your question of will a 3mm Delite show you more detail than a 5mm?  Well, that depends on your scope, seeing conditions and what you're viewing.  Most of the time, in my 6" f/8 or 4" f/7, the 3mm setting on the Moon or Saturn doesn't show anymore detail, but often does help make the finest details a bit easier to see, though at the expense of slightly reduced sharpness.  However, on nights of very good seeing, the 3mm setting will help me see details that are at the limit of one of my scopes' resolution - think Plato craterlets.  Also, if you ever spend anytime on close high contrast doubles, like Sirius, then the 4mm and 3mm settings are definitely handy.  And if I'm looking at Mars, I want all the magnification my scopes can give me.

Vdry helpful, thank you very much. Mark

#17 Mrrodgerdelodger

Mrrodgerdelodger

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Leicestershire, UK

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:14 AM

Mark
Oops, sorry I just realised I’m hijacking your thread!
I should have read more...took it from the title to be more general

John
  • MarkGregory likes this

#18 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:23 AM

Mark
Oops, sorry I just realised I’m hijacking your thread!
I should have read more...took it from the title to be more general

John

No big deal. Have a good weekend. Mark

• Mrrodgerdelodger likes this

#19 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 06 June 2021 - 10:56 AM

What I am wondering is, will the 3 or 4 show “that much more” detail on the Moon than the 5? I do get your point about spending big bucks on an ocular that will be rarely used. I’ll definitely take that into consideration. Sometimes I do get caught up in the “gotta have” mode. Not really a good thing to do. Mark 

Mark,

My 102 triplet can use the 3mm (238x), 4mm (179x), and 5mm (143x) and still not yield ridiculous powers.

I use the 5mm and 4mm a lot on small star clusters and the Moon.

It is stable enough for the 3mm maybe 10 times a year, but it becomes my go-to Moon eyepiece (or planet when high in the sky) when it is.

The magnification difference shows a dimmer image, but definitely more detail is visible when I can use it.

As for a Moon filter?  With a 102mm aperture, I don't have need of one.

First, you can't maintain night vision and look at the Moon, anyway.  And I'm not doing DSO observing when the Moon is above the horizon.

Second, I almost never look at the Moon at less than 100x (a 1mm exit pupil), and the Moon just isn't that bright at a 1mm exit pupil.

Third, I use primarily 62° apparent field Delite eyepieces in that scope, so the portion of the Moon viewed is not as wide as a 100° eyepiece might yield, and since you're talking about Delites............

• BlueMoon, GeneT, george tatsis and 2 others like this

#20 Dennis Tap

Dennis Tap

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 53° N, The Netherlands, Bortle 5

Posted 07 June 2021 - 04:40 AM

I have the Delite 3, 4 and 5mm. If you like one of them, then you probably like all three.

In my 8 inch Dob they will give 400x, 300x and 240x magnification. Quite a lot, but for some targets it's really nice (like the moon, globular clusters and double stars).

I wear glasses, so I needed an eyepiece with a long eye relief. smile.gif

The only negative about a Delite is its price lol.gif (here in Europe €339 equals about 412 USD atm)

Edited by Dennis Tap, 07 June 2021 - 04:44 AM.

• 25585 likes this

#21 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:05 AM

15mm & ×3 = 5mm

18mm & ×3 = 6mm

13mm & ×3 = 4mm

13mm & ×4 = 3.25mm

I am covered, for the cost of 2 Barlows 

#22 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:26 AM

15mm & ×3 = 5mm

18mm & ×3 = 6mm

13mm & ×3 = 4mm

13mm & ×4 = 3.25mm

I am covered, for the cost of 2 Barlows 

And 3 DeLites !

#23 starcam

starcam

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:11 AM

I used the 3 and 4 and 7 delites on uranus and neptune. I notice photon loss with the 3mm, the planet was not as colorful as the 4mm and 7mm. Due to probably higher magnification.

• MarkGregory likes this

#24 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2021 - 03:20 AM

And 3 DeLites !

I am learning that people love their barlows. smile.gif Mark

• 25585 likes this

#25 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:59 AM

The highest power Delite that I  own is the 5mm. I mostly view the Moon and planets. Wondering if there is much of a difference between the 3,4 and 5 to make it worth my while to buy the 3 and/or the 4. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Mark

I use 3mm much more than 5mm. I have great seeing so using a 3mm that can give powers over 600x in some of  my scopes is no problem. The 3mm is longer and weights a tiny bit more than a 5mm.

• 25585 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics