•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Steps Into Variable Star Photometry

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 01 June 2021 - 05:06 AM

This short white paper aims to demonstrate that it is possible for the average amateur astronomer who is engaging in digital astronomy to step into the world of photometry. Why might you consider this? Well, it opens up opportunities for advancing one’s knowledge in the hobby, as well as the potential to participate in valuable citizen science projects, such as the upcoming Exoplanet Watch program. Participating in a course on exoplanet transit measurements hosted by the Boyce-Astro Foundation started my interest in photometric analysis. I wondered if my modest telescope setup could carry out such measurements.

Click here to view the article
  • cookjaiii and smithrrlyr like this

#2 John Miele

John Miele

Aurora

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:07 PM

This is truly an excellent getting started paper. I can't tell you how much this will help me as I have been wanting to start photometry myself but find myself floundering around a little. A start to finish guide like this is perfect! Thank you so much for all the effort you put into this.

cs...John

• garyhawkins likes this

#3 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2021 - 06:34 PM

John,

I very much appreciate your feedback.  If I can be of any help as you start photometry, please reach out.  Happy to help.

Gary

#4 FloidPienk

FloidPienk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 June 2021 - 04:34 PM

Nice manual. Well done !

I am using aij also. Just one remark : i had some strange behaviour with the "remove stars from background". The flux for some comparison stars jumped between two lines. Results were much better when this tickbox was off.

Question: do you extract the green channel after calibration ? The workflow is not exactly clear to me.

#5 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:08 AM

Thank you.

I've not experimented with the 'remove stars from background' option, but I will now you've brought it to my attention.  

I do my Dark and Flat frame calibration on-the-fly in Sharpcap, so the green channel is extracted after calibration.  Even if you do the raw image capture, and then do the Flat/Dark frame calibration in post, you would still do this before channel extraction.  

Please let me know if you have further questions on the workflow.

CS Gary

Nice manual. Well done !

I am using aij also. Just one remark : i had some strange behaviour with the "remove stars from background". The flux for some comparison stars jumped between two lines. Results were much better when this tickbox was off.

Question: do you extract the green channel after calibration ? The workflow is not exactly clear to me.

#6 steppen

steppen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:18 PM

Is it possible to do variable star photometry from a very bright sky. I live in a city. Bortle 9. Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics