•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A review of the Unistellar EVscope

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#301 GSBass

GSBass

Skylab

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 13 June 2022 - 05:43 PM

Good ap is in the eye of the beholder of course but in all fairness, it kinda needs to be judged by the aperture and focal length and camera of the instrument, which is something most people do not do. And of course post processing skill has a lot to do with final results also…. Anyway, just saying there is not much apples to apples comparisons done in our hobby and it’s more likely the winner of any contest had the most money to spend on their equipment. Moral of the story, my Vespera holds its own in the 50mm 200fl 462c class :)

You know… I found it kinda toy-ish at first at first glance.

But having just bought a bunch of equipment for some EAA, AND dabble in AP, thinking I did enough research, and spending more money than this thing costs(new, and definitely used) I’m starting to see some of the allure this thing offers. To make a long story short, I was WRONG. I may just scrape by with being able to do EAA, and “good” AP will be out of the question according to the opinion of several experienced amateur astronomers. Things like my Mount being inadequate, my “guide ratio” being not good enough, my focal length being too long… I’m like look man.. I just want to be able to use a camera on my telescope to see what visual observation can’t show me. To me, the only bummer about this product would be that it can’t be used as a conventional telescope. Being able to just “plop” it down, and start doing some EAA type observations with a simple app? Sounds pretty darned amazing right now. I’ve got to learn several software suites, go through a lengthy set-up, and polar alignment process, have spent some serious cash(to me anyways) to get accessories to make those processes easier, I do have to spend considerable effort moving my scope and all its accoutrements, including a laptop and table from point A to point B… and the learning curve is going to be steep, I know there will be lots of frustration, confusion, and difficulty ahead of me to get my desired results, and I’d be pretty darned happy to get some results similar to those produced by this EvScope.

Sure it may be “limited” but having the ability to take it out, plop it down, let it take care of the alignment, knowing that everything will work, without having compatibility issues, opening op your tablet or phone, and viewing DSOs sounds pretty dang enticing at the moment having just found out my (expensive) mistakes I’ve made trying to cobble together my own EAA/AP capable rig. This things all integrated..ready to run, and produce live Images of the night sky, knowing what I do now that’s pretty impressive. I’d rather be observing, than troubleshooting to be honest. If/when this thing comes out with a larger aperture selection, higher quality sensors, matured software, and possibly the ability to be used for conventional visual observing I’d absolutely consider owning one.. especially if the price is competitive, even make a base model that’s modular, let folks soup it up with a range of pre-configured and tested components based on their budgets and desires with the same “it works guaranteed” build quality - I’d be all over that!

I guess what I’m saying is I definitely understand why folks would want this now, heck if I didn’t already invest myself into my current rig, I’d be considering it with a very hard look. I do hope they develop this product to be more capable, more affordable, and keep simplicity at its core. 

Theres folks like me out there that just want to view the universe in detail, not necessarily take “award winning” pictures. But to see more than what Visual only can offer, it’s really cool that this thing does fairly well in light polluted areas. I see several appealing aspects regarding this thing, I understand why people would want to buy them.

• Neanderthal likes this

#302 Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Messenger

• Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 13 June 2022 - 11:00 PM

Here's a pretty good review. I didn't realize this thing has an eyepiece (sort of) that you can see the image. Shame it doesn't have the capability to use a loose one.

https://www.youtube....h?v=_ZJ7JjaZCIE

#303 Brainebula

Brainebula

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2022 - 03:31 PM

Here's a pretty good review. I didn't realize this thing has an eyepiece (sort of) that you can see the image. Shame it doesn't have the capability to use a loose one.

https://www.youtube....h?v=_ZJ7JjaZCIE

Actually, the "eyepiece" simply points you to a mini LED screen inside the scope which makes it "feel" more like a traditional scope,  but you are not actually looking at the direct light from the sky but rather are looking at an electronic image. 

Stellina doesn't have an eyepiece at all..or should I say that your IOS or Android device serves as a remote, electronic "eyepiece" without having to look down the geometry of the scope to see the small screen inside. 

But the difference is that the EV lets you look in "real time" whereas Stellina (in its current configuration) needs to take a 10 second exposure (or longer if you so choose) before you can see what it's pointing at. Of course, the integrated exposure reveals a lot more than what's available with real-time viewing. 

There's always tradeoffs. 

Edited by Brainebula, 14 June 2022 - 03:34 PM.

#304 GSBass

GSBass

Skylab

Posted 14 June 2022 - 06:42 PM

Interesting, your saying the electronic eyepiece does not show stacked images? I always assumed it was not a live view, however I could still see the advantage if you were able to up or lower gain of the internal screen, for the super rich I suppose they could even integrate a night vision module

Actually, the "eyepiece" simply points you to a mini LED screen inside the scope which makes it "feel" more like a traditional scope,  but you are not actually looking at the direct light from the sky but rather are looking at an electronic image. 

Stellina doesn't have an eyepiece at all..or should I say that your IOS or Android device serves as a remote, electronic "eyepiece" without having to look down the geometry of the scope to see the small screen inside. 

But the difference is that the EV lets you look in "real time" whereas Stellina (in its current configuration) needs to take a 10 second exposure (or longer if you so choose) before you can see what it's pointing at. Of course, the integrated exposure reveals a lot more than what's available with real-time viewing. 

There's always tradeoffs. 

#305 Brainebula

Brainebula

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2022 - 11:09 AM

Interesting, your saying the electronic eyepiece does not show stacked images? I always assumed it was not a live view, however I could still see the advantage if you were able to up or lower gain of the internal screen, for the super rich I suppose they could even integrate a night vision module

I can't speak for the EV, but Stellina creates a new JPEG with each new FITS sub. So the first shot you see is the initial sub, but each shot you see thereafter is the culmination of the entire stack up to that point (minus rejected subs based on an internal algorithm). You can also elect to create a new TIFF from the subs accumulated so far. I generally intermittently save a TIFF just in case something does awry during the observation, and then I save one final TIFF just before ending that session. You can also load all the FITS, JPEGs and TIFFs onto a USB stick and process them to your heart's desire later. 

I assume EV has similar capabilities, but I'll let the EV user step in to answer that. 

Edited by Brainebula, 15 June 2022 - 11:10 AM.

#306 GSBass

GSBass

Skylab

Posted 15 June 2022 - 01:05 PM

Thanks, yeah I am familiar with vaonis but just didn’t know the particulars of the evoscope eyepiece, I had assumed it showed the stacked image just like the one you would see on your iPad or phone

I can't speak for the EV, but Stellina creates a new JPEG with each new FITS sub. So the first shot you see is the initial sub, but each shot you see thereafter is the culmination of the entire stack up to that point (minus rejected subs based on an internal algorithm). You can also elect to create a new TIFF from the subs accumulated so far. I generally intermittently save a TIFF just in case something does awry during the observation, and then I save one final TIFF just before ending that session. You can also load all the FITS, JPEGs and TIFFs onto a USB stick and process them to your heart's desire later. 

I assume EV has similar capabilities, but I'll let the EV user step in to answer that. 

Edited by GSBass, 15 June 2022 - 01:05 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics