•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A review of the Unistellar EVscope

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#101 BromoGNU

BromoGNU

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ipswich, MA

Posted Yesterday, 09:16 AM

BUT if you are someone starting out, who is looking to see if they like the hobby with this as a possible entry to bigger things, then there is really no room to grow, and 3-4K is a lot to spend on something that locks you in.  For a little more money, you will get a lot more performance and not much more in terms of learning curve.

Just my take and reasonable folks can disagree. 

Cheers!

JMD

I suspect a typical customer of theirs (just a guess) is someone who used a telescope as a kid, has a good job and kids now, and was thinking it would be fun to get something like this to introduce their kids to astronomy.  Given the visual you get through the eyepiece and on the phone looks nicer than what a naked eyeball view would look, and it sets itself up on its own, as a parent you can be a STEM teacher superstar.

I think someone who wasn't already exposed to astronomy at some point in their life would freak out at the cost of the systems we are tossing around here - especially with the learning curve and technical expertise ... and the smart telescope system.  Sticker shock and then the $200-300 telescope that will end up in a closet in most cases.

JUst my thoughts on who would do this.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics