•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Expanding from EAA into Photometry

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:39 AM

If anyone is interested in expanding their EAA interest into photometry using the current equipment, this paper might help to get you going.

First Steps Into Variable Star Photometry - https://www.cloudyni...hotometry-r3302

The paper basically described how I started, what software tools you need, how to process the data, and how to submit your first results to the AAVSO. Using these techniques, it would be a small step to participate in the upcoming NASA Exoplanet Watch program or do some asteroid hunting.

Edited by garyhawkins, 01 June 2021 - 10:03 AM.

• Ptarmigan, roelb, orionic and 3 others like this

#2 hornjs

hornjs

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:44 AM

If anyone is interested in expanding their EAA interest into photometry using the current equipment, this paper might help to get you going.

First Steps Into Variable Star Photometry - https://www.cloudyni...-steps-into....

The paper basically described how I started, what software tools you need, how to process the data, and how to submit your first results to the AAVSO.
Using these techniques, it would be a small step to participate in the upcoming NASA Exoplanet Watch program or do some asteroid hunting.

Gary, link may not be working.  I get a "Sorry, we could not find that" message.  Was looking forward to reading it.  

#3 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 01 June 2021 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for letting me know, the link should be working now.

Gary, link may not be working.  I get a "Sorry, we could not find that" message.  Was looking forward to reading it.  

#4 jcannady

jcannady

Lift Off

• Loc: Danielsville, GA

Posted 14 July 2021 - 11:03 AM

Follow-up question.  I am in the market for a new CMOS camera.  I have upgraded my 12 inch LX200 to a new 14 inch LX600 and I want a CMOS that will enable me to do general EAA but also I'd like to get into photometry with the AAVSO.  I'm not planning on doing much if any astrophotography.  I have found good references on the best CMOS cameras for EAA and articles on the best choices for photometry, but not both.  I really would prefer not to have two cameras.  I would greatly appreciate any advice on a camera that would allow me to do both, even if it wouldn't be ideal for either.  I'm leaning towards the ASI2600 but certainly open to getting something else (and spending more or less money) if there is a better choice.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

#5 jcannady

jcannady

Lift Off

• Loc: Danielsville, GA

Posted 14 July 2021 - 11:12 AM

And here is the correct link to the file mentioned above:  https://www.cloudyni...hotometry-r3302

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics