•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bresser vs. Amscope Stereo Microscope - which is better?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rossn

rossn

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rocky Mountains

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:04 PM

I have a few used microscope options, and want to pick up one of them for my 6 year old.

Is one of these higher quality build or optics than the other?

Is 10x-60x or 20x-80x a more usable range?

Bresser Stereo Microscope Researcher ICD Halogen 20x-80x (European 220V version with adapter - and older model)
https://www.woot.com...en-microscope-2

AmScope 10x-60x Stereo Microscope with Halogen Lighting (5 years old)
Something Like: https://www.amscope....0x-30x-60x.html

Thanks!

#2 db2005

db2005

Apollo

• Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5/6 skies.

Posted 04 June 2021 - 12:26 AM

I have owned a close sibling of the Bresser ICD and found it to be a nice beginner's stereo microscope; and I would expect the Amscope to have fairly similar optical performance. A few caveats through: With entry-level optics like the two options listed I would definitely go for the lower magnification range 10-60x rather than 20-80x. Illumination is simply not strong enough to support the highest magnification levels. Of course that can be fixed by using a strong external light source. But entry-level optics IME also tend to get noticeably softer once crossing into the territory of 40+ times magnification.

• B 26354 likes this

#3 rossn

rossn

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rocky Mountains

Posted 04 June 2021 - 11:17 AM

Thanks, Apollo. I picked up the used 10x-60x Amscope yesterday for $30, and I think she will have fun with it.

Edited by rossn, 04 June 2021 - 11:18 AM.

• db2005 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics