•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edmund 8" f/8

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 02 June 2021 - 09:47 AM

I was already running an errand in NJ so I went and bought the Edmund 8" f/8. Seller was really nice and we chatted for a while about astro, cars, and DIY stuff. The mirror coatings are in great shape and apart from some really minor wear to the mount and tube it looks great. Tube seems to be Bakelite like an RV6 and not aluminum like the smaller Edmunds. The yellow tape at the ends seems to be from the factory.

e8c2.jpg

e8c.jpg

I knew this thing was heavy going in, but I did not expect it to be so tall. Zenith eyepiece height is 82" which makes it barely shorter than my 24" Dob. I can put the scope together myself but securing the OTA is a lot easier with 2 people. That being said the thing looks awesome and I'm really excited to see how it does on planets.

I wonder if I can fit it under a Telegizmos cover.....

• siriusandthepup, highfnum, plyscope and 26 others like this

#2 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 02 June 2021 - 09:54 AM

You're gonna need a bigger house here soon.

• mdowns and Augustus like this

#3 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 02 June 2021 - 09:57 AM

Good for you Zane! I’m glad you got it. I’m looking forward to your observing report. I saw one of those more than fifty years ago and had a chance to look through it. As I remember, tho being of a somewhat impressionable age, the views were amazing.

• jim kuhns, steve t, mdowns and 3 others like this

#4 M11Mike

M11Mike

Apollo

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:04 AM

A amateur's dream scope back in the "good old days".  Bet it still will do quite well.  Congrats. 

M11Mike 

• jim kuhns, mdowns, Augustus and 2 others like this

#5 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:06 AM

Thanks guys!

This may sound insane, but with a little work to make it easier to mount the tube I genuinely might want to try this as a public outreach scope. I can use cheap eyepieces with it, it tracks, and the spectacle is undeniable.
  • John Gauvreau, jim kuhns, starman876 and 3 others like this

#6 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:08 AM

Well done!

Edmund's biggest and best!

(A little later a 12.5" came along but it wasn't even in the catalog)

Robert

post-50896-0-88084500-1518285829.jpg

• jim kuhns, steve t and Augustus like this

#7 mdowns

mdowns

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 02 June 2021 - 11:00 AM

This absolutely makes my day knowing that someone here got this jewel.BTW,you can get a TG 365 made to order for it.I really look forward to seeing and reading more about this scope.One of several I use to drool over while catalog viewing in the sixties.

• steve t, Terra Nova and Augustus like this

#8 Starsareus

Starsareus

Mariner 2

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:25 PM

I recall seeing the 8" in the Store, MANY years ago!   Seemed Big  then !

• steve t and Augustus like this

#9 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:36 PM

Glad you got it.  Now I wont go golfing in NJ.

• Augustus likes this

#10 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:49 PM

Great! Glad it's going to get back under the stars! There was a thread a while back about restoring one that I can't seem to find. 

But here's a thread on the mounts:

https://www.cloudyni...info/?hl=edmund

Chip W.

• Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#11 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:52 PM

Very nice!  Congratulations.  Clearly it has found a good home.

#12 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 02 June 2021 - 01:47 PM

Very nice     can't wait to see it and see through it at outreach

And Spectacle  yes  that is the exact word for outreach I think    you know

you get the curious   their kids    the newbees   the passersby   Big showy  attention getting   

it cries out    look at that telescope..

Kind of what I will be trying to do with the the Unitron 150  and the big 10 inch rescue Dob

big showy wow scope for the uninitiated

Good show Zane

• Augustus likes this

#13 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 02 June 2021 - 06:23 PM

Much better than the one i got back in 1987 at a boat yard.  Loved the mount.  Had great optics. If your ever in FL i would take it off your hands for 4 times the price you paid.

• Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#14 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:05 PM

Love it   

I  like the creamy off white almost yellowed look    nice patina   as they say     reminds me of Jimi Hendix  1968/69 white strat he played at Woodstock      the nitrocellulose finished turned that creamy color        82 inches is tall? that is tall 

But heck you are a lot taller than I am

• Terra Nova and Augustus like this

#15 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:09 PM

Love it   

I  like the creamy off white almost yellowed look    nice patina   as they say     reminds me of Jimi Hendix  1968/69 white strat he played at Woodstock      the nitrocellulose finished turned that creamy color        82 inches is tall? that is tall 

Seems mine was shorter. But after all these years i am not sure.

#16 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:23 PM

Excellent! Years ago I had a chance to look through an Edmund 12.5” f/8 and it was amazing! I recall observing Vega and seeing black sky all the way to the brilliant point of the star. Enjoy the scope!

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#17 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:56 PM

Looks like it'll be clear enough Friday to try it out (and not clear enough to go DSO observing with the 24", which would normally take precedence). I am ordering up some thumb screws for attaching the pier legs which should make getting the thing around a lot easier. Probably going to store the whole mount/pier in the shed in the long term in the spot currently occupied by the Fecker case (the Fecker is almost done with the refinish at my friend's body shop and going back to WAS in a week - I'm gonna have a lot of pics of the results!) 

I am a little confused as to how to get the mount on the pier for actual use - do I need to spin it around to screw it tight in those threads? When I tighten the lone hex key screw it can still kinda spin. 

Love it   

Yeah, it's a bit off-white in color. I don't think I'd bother with repainting the OTA because the original finish looks fine but perhaps I'll do the mount because it is kind of ugly at the moment. I am good at repainting mounts, not so much tubes. I already have so many restoration projects though that this might take a while - the blue Dynamax needs some work, the gray one needs a complete teardown and repaint, and then there's the Sears which is currently a pile of parts and the Fecker which is also currently a pile of parts (albeit not for much longer!) - and all those are a lot lighter and easier to dismantle!

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#18 Ben H

Ben H

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 June 2021 - 12:08 AM

That mount is definitely a cumbersome beast to tote around. My mom has asked to have a telescope at her house to use, I've thought of moving my Edmund there and permanently mounting it on a concrete pad with a weatherproof cover. I've bashed my knuckles one too many times trying to wrassle with it in the dark. 

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#19 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:34 AM

I left my mount outside. It was so nice to just slap the OTA on the mount and with the rotating rings it was much nicer to use vs the strap rings.  I had Metro machining make the rings in 1988. He was local to me and ran ads in SKY& TELE back in them days.  Later on the scope went on a Optic craft 60mm shaft mount and a cement pier.  I have posted pics of it before on here.

It should show you how much better a slow Newt vs a 8" SCT is. Collimation is easy as well.  I still say the 8" F/8 Newt is the best all around scope. Once you get over 10" the OTA's get too heavy and bigger mounts are needed.

The motions on the mount were so smooth on them 1.5" Edmund mounts even at 400x, but my mount did not have a drive.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and jcruse64 like this

#20 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:27 AM

Looks like it'll be clear enough Friday to try it out (and not clear enough to go DSO observing with the 24", which would normally take precedence). I am ordering up some thumb screws for attaching the pier legs which should make getting the thing around a lot easier. Probably going to store the whole mount/pier in the shed in the long term in the spot currently occupied by the Fecker case (the Fecker is almost done with the refinish at my friend's body shop and going back to WAS in a week - I'm gonna have a lot of pics of the results!) 

I am a little confused as to how to get the mount on the pier for actual use - do I need to spin it around to screw it tight in those threads? When I tighten the lone hex key screw it can still kinda spin. 

Yeah, it's a bit off-white in color. I don't think I'd bother with repainting the OTA because the original finish looks fine but perhaps I'll do the mount because it is kind of ugly at the moment. I am good at repainting mounts, not so much tubes. I already have so many restoration projects though that this might take a while - the blue Dynamax needs some work, the gray one needs a complete teardown and repaint, and then there's the Sears which is currently a pile of parts and the Fecker which is also currently a pile of parts (albeit not for much longer!) - and all those are a lot lighter and easier to dismantle!

you got a lot of projectswaytogo.gif

#21 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:45 AM

Looks like it'll be clear enough Friday to try it out (and not clear enough to go DSO observing with the 24", which would normally take precedence). I am ordering up some thumb screws for attaching the pier legs which should make getting the thing around a lot easier. 

The original leg bolts were a very course self tapping thread. They aren't a good thread for frequent use. The mount is very heavy, just be sure of what you substitute for the leg bolts. 

The pier pipe and cap are standard tapered pipe threads. Yes, it has to be spun on as a complete unit. The RA and DEC assemblies can not be unbolted from the pier cap like most mounts. The main RA housing is pinned to the altitude bar and won't come off. I had to jig up and drive that pin out to dismantle mine. Spin it on till snug then back it off a little so you have some azimuth adjustment room.

Careful with that hex key screw. It drives directly into the threads of the pier pipe and can seriously gall up the threads should you have to go on and off frequently. I put a soft plug in mine. I also added a second screw. I also feel for you if you have to go on and off frequently with this mount.  You best have oats for breakfast to feel them later. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P6110002 - Copy.JPG
  • P6180001.JPG

Edited by apfever, 03 June 2021 - 01:00 PM.

• jim kuhns, astro140, Bomber Bob and 4 others like this

#22 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2021 - 02:16 PM

After some work with a Scotchbrite it looks a lot better.... most of the crud on the tube and mount was surface-level grime and dirt, not corrosion or paint damage. 

IMG_0644s.jpg

The original leg bolts were a very course self tapping thread. They aren't a good thread for frequent use. The mount is very heavy, just be sure of what you substitute for the leg bolts. 

The pier pipe and cap are standard tapered pipe threads. Yes, it has to be spun on as a complete unit. The RA and DEC assemblies can not be unbolted from the pier cap like most mounts. The main RA housing is pinned to the altitude bar and won't come off. I had to jig up and drive that pin out to dismantle mine. Spin it on till snug then back it off a little so you have some azimuth adjustment room.

Careful with that hex key screw. It drives directly into the threads of the pier pipe and can seriously gall up the threads should you have to go on and off frequently. I put a soft plug in mine. I also added a second screw. I also feel for you if you have to go on and off frequently with this mount.  You best have oats for breakfast to feel them later. 

I see. Screwing the pier on isn't too much of a hassle with some lubricant added, just an additional consideration. The leg bolts on mine seem to be only kind of coarse, I was thinking of substituting them with heavy duty hand knobs. I have to measure the threads.

• jim kuhns, astro140, mdowns and 4 others like this

#23 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2021 - 02:18 PM

The included 7x50 finder with this thing is really odd - huge 2" eyepiece with seemingly no field stop, AFOV in excess of 90 degrees. I wonder how it does at night.

• jim kuhns likes this

#24 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 03 June 2021 - 02:37 PM

It really looks great.

I've never seen one in such nice and original condition.

That is a real treasure you have there.

Robert

• Augustus and BradFran like this

#25 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

Posted 03 June 2021 - 03:26 PM

Yes  agree   it looks great   even better cleaned up      nuf said on the ota   Anyone should be proud to have it

As mentioned before   we really like that patina    that off white color is sweet...

enjoy it

• Terra Nova and Augustus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics