•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bullialdus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Evans

Rick Evans

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2021 - 02:07 PM

Crater Bullialdus with neighbors A and B just above it. Crater Konig is above left.

Prime focus imaging with Celestron 8 and ZWO ASI178MC at prime focus. Averaged with

Autostakkert!3 from the best 150(15%) frames of a 1000 frame video. Frame rate 60 fps.

Minor brightness and contrast adjustments and wavelet sharpening in Paintshop Pro 2021.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bullialdus.21_33_48A.jpg

Edited by Rick Evans, 02 June 2021 - 02:09 PM.

• Magellanico, Achernar, Kenny V. and 11 others like this

#2 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:40 PM

This is a good image, but you would want to use at least 500 frames, 1,000 or more is better to keep the noise down. I find when I use fewer than 500 frames the noise becomes a nuisance. You can refer to my recent image of the same area here in this forum.

Taras

#3 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 11 June 2021 - 04:31 AM

Great detail - I think that with detail scale the noise is at an acceptable level.

In my opinion, it makes no sense to stick to the same percentage constantly because the proportion of useful and unuseful frames depends, for example, on weather conditions and seeing. It is completely different when conditions are stable and different when conditions are fluctuating.

For example, in my conditions, I practically do not use less than 20%, choosing a smaller number of frames does not improve the quality but only increases the noise. I always do 4 attempts with a different number of frames and choose the optimal one. It often turns out that the difference in detail between 20% and 50% is virtually unnoticeable, while more shots help deal with noise.

Edited by LukaszLu, 11 June 2021 - 04:31 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics