•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Animation - Sunspot AR2829 and Prominence, June 2nd 2021

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:18 PM

Got good seeing today, some passing clouds and did a quick capture on AR2829.

Attached and below is an animation over one hour time lapse (Thumbnail link) and two still captures. 

Equipment:

Meade AR6, 152MM mask to 120mm (F10)

ASI174MM-Cool

DayStar Quark Chromosphere

AS!3, IMPPG, and Phototshop

Thumbnail link to animation on Astrobin: 

get.jpg?insecure

Thanks for looking, clear skies!

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• AR2829 2021-06-02-1815_0-Sun_lapl8_ap2089__v2_LP.jpg
  • AR2829 2021-06-02-1815_0-Sun_lapl8_ap2089__v2_DP, jpg.jpg

• peterm, Jim Waters, philmor56 and 12 others like this

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:24 PM

Nice images Michael

• astro rocketeer likes this

#3 peterm

peterm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:34 PM

These are really good images Michael and the animation is a beauty!

#4 mikela

mikela

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 02 June 2021 - 11:02 PM

Animation is mesmerizing!

#5 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 03 June 2021 - 08:11 AM

Great shots and animation Michael, very smooth!  I'm wondering what you might have changed on the processing between the still shot and the animation that gave a little strange look to the proms (at full resolution) in the animation compared to the details in the still shot.  I know I tweak my still shots more than the frames in my animations simply because you don't have to worry about doing the exact same changes to each an every frame.  Just curious as to what might have introduced the "banding" in the proms which may even be due to reducing the size of the GIF since these can get quite large!

#6 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 03 June 2021 - 08:17 AM

Sweet animation! Love the grass in the wind spicules!

Very best,

• rigel123 and astro rocketeer like this

#7 DavM

DavM

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Almelo, Netherlands

Posted 03 June 2021 - 08:43 AM

Nice smooth animation waytogo.gif

Dave

#8 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:00 AM

Great shots and animation Michael, very smooth!  I'm wondering what you might have changed on the processing between the still shot and the animation that gave a little strange look to the proms (at full resolution) in the animation compared to the details in the still shot.  I know I tweak my still shots more than the frames in my animations simply because you don't have to worry about doing the exact same changes to each an every frame.  Just curious as to what might have introduced the "banding" in the proms which may even be due to reducing the size of the GIF since these can get quite large!

HI Warren, good catch on details! I've noticed that too and I too think its resizing the gif file. The original file is 140Mb and shows lots more finer details, but when I re-sized it to a smaller one (43Mb on Astrobin), I noticed that I lost some (actually, lots of) resolution from sizing down the image file. How do you prevent this from happening? Any recommendation would be apprecaited. I'm using Photoshop Creative Cloud. 

BTW, I hope you get some Sun soon too, I miss your daily animations!

Michael 

#9 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 03 June 2021 - 12:21 PM

HI Warren, good catch on details! I've noticed that too and I too think its resizing the gif file. The original file is 140Mb and shows lots more finer details, but when I re-sized it to a smaller one (43Mb on Astrobin), I noticed that I lost some (actually, lots of) resolution from sizing down the image file. How do you prevent this from happening? Any recommendation would be apprecaited. I'm using Photoshop Creative Cloud. 

BTW, I hope you get some Sun soon too, I miss your daily animations!

Michael 

Oh wow, that is a BIG file!  My largest ones are at about 41MB so you must have either a lot more frames or a much larger ROI than I am using.  The compression must be the culprit.  I think AB could handle the full sized animation but it would take quite a while to upload to view.  I have actually thought of going back to taking AVI's every minute instead of every 30 seconds just to make the files smaller so I could do longer animations.  The motion isn't quite as smooth but it certainly reduces the overall file size.

I'm hoping to get back out either Friday or Saturday and Sunday at the least when the rain is supposed to leave!

#10 lorenzo italy

lorenzo italy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Montichiari (Bs) Italy

Posted 03 June 2021 - 02:47 PM

Good job.
For both animation and still images.

Lorenzo

#11 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:22 PM

Nice images Michael

Thank you Jim, I appreciate the comment! 

These are really good images Michael and the animation is a beauty!

Thanks Peter! Btw, I saw you suggested on a recent post with someone needing help with day time polar alignment and that’s an excellent idea!! I’m def going use it. Also, the dark limb on this capture and process was an inspiration by you! I like how you did yours so a adopted that too! Thank you!

Animation is mesmerizing!

Thank you Mike, I too enjoy your captures!

Sweet animation! Love the grass in the wind spicules!

Very best,

Thanks Marty! Love your tutorial videos and thanks for help along the way! 

Nice smooth animation waytogo.gif

Dave

Thanks Dave, really enjoying your captures and share too! Looking forward to more of your captures!

Oh wow, that is a BIG file!  My largest ones are at about 41MB so you must have either a lot more frames or a much larger ROI than I am using.  The compression must be the culprit.  I think AB could handle the full sized animation but it would take quite a while to upload to view.  I have actually thought of going back to taking AVI's every minute instead of every 30 seconds just to make the files smaller so I could do longer animations.  The motion isn't quite as smooth but it certainly reduces the overall file size.

I'm hoping to get back out either Friday or Saturday and Sunday at the least when the rain is supposed to leave!

Yes, very large file. I was doing animation of 1 minutes before but like you said, it’s not that smooth. I actually went with 30 seconds now bc you had great animations and was doing at 30 seconds. We recently had cloud weather, but now that we have clear skies, we’re also now having to deal with strong winds. I had 2 more animations of these two sunspots with higher mag, but the winds just threw it all off completely and I just didn’t want to bother. Looking forward to your next capture Warren! I learned animation from you!

Good job.
For both animation and still images.

Lorenzo

Thank you Lorenzo!  Really much appreciate it and I really like your full disk double stack!! Lots and lots of details! Can’t wait to see more.

• rigel123 likes this

#12 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Ahern Observatory Viera Florida

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:42 PM

Great work Michael, love the animation, wonderful action.

#13 philmor56

philmor56

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bolton, ON

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:42 PM

Wonderful!

Very well done Michael. waytogo.gif

Cheers

#14 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:03 PM

Great work Michael, love the animation, wonderful action.

Thank you John! I think of you when I'm on Lunt's website and see your ISS captures featured on their page! 

Wonderful!

Very well done Michael. waytogo.gif

Cheers

Thank you Phil! really much appreciate the kind comments. Looking forward to your captures too! 

#15 fiston

fiston

Vostok 1

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:31 PM

Excellent animation, thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics