•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do I NEED a Unitron?

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 Alanvogt

Alanvogt

Explorer 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:11 PM

I have long admired your use of the Unitron 4 inch for outreach and sidewalk astronomy. Yes this is why I have sought out a big four inch longfellow for outreach as per your example. I have the Unitron 150 Alt Az mount. It is not the older Alt Az fork mount though.  It sets up fast. This should be a good scope for outreach.  It will take some getting used to.  I will need step stools and height assist for myself and  especially for young folks. I was never taller than 5'8'' and even that was an exaggeration at age 18, but at my age, 64 now, I swear I am at least an inch shorter. So it goes. Looking forward to trying it out.

For folks like me who have not had  a Unitron 4 inch the relative size comparisons to the 3 inch...the 140 I called long tall Sally... is striking...

Thanks for the kind words. Here is how I see it.  This is not really MY Unitron, I'm just it's caretaker for now.  I'm 64 and can easily wrestle this beast in and out of the car. But in 10 years or so who knows. Then it will be time for the next enthusiast to take it off my hands and hopefully still take it outside and point it up. People could still be enjoying this scope long after I'm in the ground.  This scope is for looking at AND looking through!

Unitron moon.jpg

• clamchip, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 6 others like this

#102 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Here is how I see it.  This is not really MY Unitron, I'm just it's caretaker for now.  I'm 64 and can easily wrestle this beast in and out of the car. But in 10 years or so who knows. Then it will be time for the next enthusiast to take it off my hands and hopefully still take it outside and point it up. People could still be enjoying this scope long after I'm in the ground.  This scope is for looking at AND looking through!

attachicon.gifUnitron moon.jpg

It’s wonderful seeing you use and enjoy your 4” Unitron so much Alan, and to see you sharing that joy with so many folks, introducing a whole new generation to the wonders of Unitron.

• deepwoods1, Defenderslideguitar and Alanvogt like this

#103 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 12 June 2021 - 08:01 AM

Seeing anyone use their Unitron is always wonderful.waytogo.gif

• deepwoods1 and Alanvogt like this

#104 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:04 AM

To the OP

Thanks for getting this thread started. We do think everyone should have a Unitron. The three inch (I have the 140) seems to be in the easy to manage and  quite capable sweet spot.

Alanvogt

Yes  good show with the Unitron 4 inch....

Funny we have so much going on in our lives that is similar.

I just turned 64 last week. I have a similar sloop.

Just got a Unitron 4 inch here to use for outreach.

You are probably correct  there is no reason why the Unitrons should not outlast us

Concerning the Unitron 4 inch. I have not really been able to test drive it properly yet. But I am amazed at the wide range of positioning depending on what we are looking at. For low in the sky stuff like planets I am going to be on the stool/milk carton. When looking Higher objects such as Alcor Mizar I will be on my knees. Do the other Unitron folks have similar issues with positioning..?

• Terra Nova, kansas skies, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#105 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:45 AM

Let me tell you about a discovery I made recently. Well, a few weeks after I crashed the lens on my 114, I dared to look through it. Out of curiosity, I made a test comparing the image of plants visible outside the window with some other 60 mm classics. And ... it turns out that despite all the shortcomings of the Polarex lens, i.e. possibly an uneven air gap (no round Netwon rings), the appearance of secondary reflection seen in point objects such as stars, and even damage to the Flint - the Polarex 114 still wins the competition, showing the most fine details on leaves, stems and flowers and capturing subtle details from the shadows...

• Terra Nova, combatdad, PawPaw and 3 others like this

#106 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:07 AM

Let me tell you about a discovery I made recently. Well, a few weeks after I crashed the lens on my 114, I dared to look through it. Out of curiosity, I made a test comparing the image of plants visible outside the window with some other 60 mm classics. And ... it turns out that despite all the shortcomings of the Polarex lens, i.e. possibly an uneven air gap (no round Netwon rings), the appearance of secondary reflection seen in point objects such as stars, and even damage to the Flint - the Polarex 114 still wins the competition, showing the most fine details on leaves, stems and flowers and capturing subtle details from the shadows...

how can you beat thatwaytogo.gif

#107 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:13 AM

OK, the Royal Astro 76 mm did not take part in the test because it has a larger diameter - but I have a reasonable suspicion that its lens may be of higher quality. The moon viewed by the Polarex is impressive, but I loose my jaw when looking through R-74 ... It even beats the views given by 120ED apo.

• PawPaw, Bomber Bob, Piggyback and 1 other like this

#108 DPT

DPT

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 June 2021 - 04:45 PM

Well the deed is done, I am now the proud owner of a Unitron 142. Thanks to Russ, the previous caretaker, for maintaining the telescope in great condition and adding some original Unitron parts and eyepieces. I am looking forward to using and enjoying this Unitron, and looking forward to a rigorous first light in a few days upon my return home. The scope was in a town where my two brothers currently live so I want to make up for some missing family time since the COVID crisis.

Awesome trip, a “new-to-me” Unitron plus some quality with my brothers, truly a win-win situation.

David
  • Terra Nova, kansas skies, Bonco2 and 4 others like this

#109 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 12 June 2021 - 05:01 PM

Well the deed is done, I am now the proud owner of a Unitron 142. Thanks to Russ, the previous caretaker, for maintaining the telescope in great condition and adding some original Unitron parts and eyepieces. I am looking forward to using and enjoying this Unitron, and looking forward to a rigorous first light in a few days upon my return home. The scope was in a town where my two brothers currently live so I want to make up for some missing family time since the COVID crisis.

Awesome trip, a “new-to-me” Unitron plus some quality with my brothers, truly a win-win situation.

David

Cool, I am sure you will love the scope.

#110 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vanguard

• Loc: 76707

Posted 12 June 2021 - 05:04 PM

Yes David, you do.waytogo.gif 
Russ

Edited by Russell Smith, 12 June 2021 - 05:05 PM.

#111 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:38 PM

To the OP

Thanks for getting this thread started. We do think everyone should have a Unitron. The three inch (I have the 140) seems to be in the easy to manage and  quite capable sweet spot.

Alanvogt

Yes  good show with the Unitron 4 inch....

Funny we have so much going on in our lives that is similar.

I just turned 64 last week. I have a similar sloop.

Just got a Unitron 4 inch here to use for outreach.

You are probably correct  there is no reason why the Unitrons should not outlast us

Concerning the Unitron 4 inch. I have not really been able to test drive it properly yet. But I am amazed at the wide range of positioning depending on what we are looking at. For low in the sky stuff like planets I am going to be on the stool/milk carton. When looking Higher objects such as Alcor Mizar I will be on my knees. Do the other Unitron folks have similar issues with positioning..?

Got a dovetail on your Uni??  In < 2 mins, I can move a LONG frac from the Mizar SP tripod to the much taller Meade SF pedestal...  IOW:  altitude, smal-titude!  (Of course, it helps to have more mounts / platforms than Carter has Little Red Pills!)

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#112 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:37 PM

"Awesome trip, a “new-to-me” Unitron plus some quality with my brothers, truly a win-win situation."

David 

David    Excellent news......and what a win win .    You will like the 142. And it will serve you well.  Congrats to you.

And the circle closes.....on a fun thread         Great discussions  Great purchase   Great ending

BB.....Actually    My Unitron 140 has quite a neat set up   not only does it ride well on the 140 alt az   I got the 142 mount for it as well        But  I also bought a clam shell mounted on a vixen dove tail (Thanks Terra )  which means it rides on modern mounts and other mounts very well and in a flash.........

The new to me  Uitron 150 so far is on the Unitron 150 mount

• Terra Nova and Alanvogt like this

#113 DPT

DPT

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:05 AM

I had first-light with my "new to me" Unitron 142 last night.  I am very happy with the preliminary views as well as the mechanics of the mount.  I had nice views of the quarter moon (extremely slight, thin coloration on the rim however that disappeared as I adjusted my viewing angle), also viewed Mars low in the West, and several stars before the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes ran me back into the house.  Also, I was using the Unihex with all Unitron eyepieces this first time out, the Unihex was very convenient.  My next viewing session will utilize some of my Meade plossls and Edmund RKE's in the 1-1/4 inch format to compare performance to the Unitron eyepieces.

Overall very pleased with the optical and mechanical performance of the Unitron.

David

Unitron 142 Photo.JPG

• photiost, astro140, Terra Nova and 6 others like this

#114 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 01:09 PM

I had first-light with my "new to me" Unitron 142 last night.  I am very happy with the preliminary views as well as the mechanics of the mount.  I had nice views of the quarter moon (extremely slight, thin coloration on the rim however that disappeared as I adjusted my viewing angle), also viewed Mars low in the West, and several stars before the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes ran me back into the house.  Also, I was using the Unihex with all Unitron eyepieces this first time out, the Unihex was very convenient.  My next viewing session will utilize some of my Meade plossls and Edmund RKE's in the 1-1/4 inch format to compare performance to the Unitron eyepieces.

Overall very pleased with the optical and mechanical performance of the Unitron.

David

attachicon.gifUnitron 142 Photo.JPG

nice scopewaytogo.gif

#115 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

David

attachicon.gifUnitron 142 Photo.JPG

That is what i am looking for in mint shape pre 1972. Not too big to deal with and nice to look at as well.  Now if one will pop up local i would jump.

#116 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 08:34 PM

Beautiful telescope, Congrats !!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics