•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX 850 permanent mount

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:14 AM

But you reported it worked on the 29th, so why are you repeating the Polar Home Alignment  ?

Switching on from PARK it shouldn't be searching for Polaris, you don't need to do any of that PA rigmarole.

After entering time and date it will start tracking in RA, then just do a 1 Star Alignment.

Edited by michael8554, 21 July 2021 - 09:24 AM.

• Spacetravelerx likes this

#27 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:00 AM

Yeah, the LX850 should be parked after alignment and usage.

Again, let me repeat my steps every night, once the LX850 is aligned:

(1) power on LX850
(2) go to a bright target near the equator
(3) Do ACR function
(4) Enjoy the night
(5) Park LX850 when done
(6) Power off LX850

Note, I have not done alignment in this process.  And I don't think I have done an alignment in the past year.

#28 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 05:16 PM

"Note, I have not done alignment in this process.  And I don't think I have done an alignment in the past year"

You're lucky, the first GoTo on my permanently wedge mounted LX200GPS is never spot-on after un-parking, sometimes halfway to the edge of the 9x50 after a few weeks of non use.

#29 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:24 PM

"Note, I have not done alignment in this process.  And I don't think I have done an alignment in the past year"

You're lucky, the first GoTo on my permanently wedge mounted LX200GPS is never spot-on after un-parking, sometimes halfway to the edge of the 9x50 after a few weeks of non use.

@michael8554,

Both my LX850s are quite precise from power on after the mount is parked.  It may be the nature of the construction of the LX850 and being a GEM mount, but who knows.  I love it.

#30 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:38 AM

Perhaps you could clarify the Polar Home Alignment on these EQ mounts ?

Does Polaris at 180 degrees/6 o'clock Hour Angle cause the mount to move to a dangerous position ?

#31 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:28 AM

Perhaps you could clarify the Polar Home Alignment on these EQ mounts ?

Does Polaris at 180 degrees/6 o'clock Hour Angle cause the mount to move to a dangerous position ?

@michael8554 - in theory yes, but typically that is not done on the LX850.

My routine:
* Rough align with the finder
* Power on LX850 and do Easy Align (gets me quite close)
* Do automatic drift align.

Once these three steps are done I am all set for a long stretch.  Sometimes, at the start of a night of observing, I will go to a bright target, center it if slightly off and then do SYNC/ENTER and I am good.

And when done, I just "Park", power off and cover until my next session.

• dcaponeii and michael8554 like this

#32 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:27 AM

@michael8554 - in theory yes, but typically that is not done on the LX850.

My routine:
* Rough align with the finder
* Power on LX850 and do Easy Align (gets me quite close)
* Do automatic drift align.

Once these three steps are done I am all set for a long stretch.  Sometimes, at the start of a night of observing, I will go to a bright target, center it if slightly off and then do SYNC/ENTER and I am good.

And when done, I just "Park", power off and cover until my next session.

I think that's a point worth reinforcing.  Coming out of park, the first GOTO to a bright star conveniently located.  Manually center that bright star after the GOTO move and then SYNC the mount.  That's all that's needed after coming out of park.  The rest of the GOTO moves after the SYNC should be spot on.

#33 LouHalikman

LouHalikman

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Central Maryland

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:43 PM

Thank you everyone.  I am polar aligned, when it went to Polaris I just hit enter, then centered the bright star of its choice.  Goto's were good enough.  I managed to get it into Park, so I'm ready to go next time out.

Thanks again.  Lou

#34 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:01 AM

Spacetraveller,  dcaponi, perhaps my question wasn't clear.

Lou wasn't parking, and was worried about the Meade Polar Align routine when Polaris was a 6 oclock.

The LX200GPS routine involves a RA slew to the hour angle to centre Polaris, and I inferred from the initial posts that the LX850 was making a similar move ?

• dcaponeii likes this

#35 LouHalikman

LouHalikman

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Central Maryland

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:47 AM

Exactly.  It went to some strange places to follow the hour angle.   I did polar align with the built in alignment procedure and checked it with Polemaster -- right on.  From my experience, I would recommend doing a polar alignment as soon as the mount comes out of its box to avoid these mount contortions and possible damage.  Even with polar alignment and not parking, achieving a new alignment with one star is easy bypassing the command to center polaris.  Lou

#36 BrianAstro

BrianAstro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2021 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, the LX850 should be parked after alignment and usage.

Again, let me repeat my steps every night, once the LX850 is aligned:

(1) power on LX850
(2) go to a bright target near the equator
(3) Do ACR function
(4) Enjoy the night
(5) Park LX850 when done
(6) Power off LX850

Note, I have not done alignment in this process.  And I don't think I have done an alignment in the past year.

Hello there, you said park the scope.. is that after you do "Align to home" and then park it each night's end? Im having some same issues here. I can align just fine, I have a pier so my scope in my observatory is fixed. Or are you saying you park the scope without going back to home? 

#37 johnpane

johnpane

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wexford, PA, USA

Posted 15 August 2021 - 12:07 PM

are you saying you park the scope without going back to home? 

The Park Scope command will first go to the Home position, then tell you to turn off the power.

#38 BrianAstro

BrianAstro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2021 - 01:25 PM

The Park Scope command will first go to the Home position, then tell you to turn off the power.

Wow I had no idea this was actually how it worked! Thank you, sir! All I do was align on home then turn it off. d'oh!! 

#39 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:56 AM

You can also define the park position inside the "telescope" menu.  In my case I can't close the roof if I park the scope in the home position.  Using the "telescope" menu I defined the park position as the OTA at 0 dec and facing west.  That's the scope's minimum height (the GPS module is "up") above the pier which then allows the roof to close.  Just manually slew to your desired position, then use the "telescope", "park position" menu to "SET" that position.  Then when you go to "Utilities" at the end of the session and select "park scope" the scope moves to the defined position and then prompts you to turn off the scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics