•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Camping 'Scope Shelter?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 06 June 2021 - 03:05 PM

The frame imaged below came as a cardboard box stiffener for a patio furniture set. It was just too interesting to trash. The metal tubular struts just push into the plastic corner pieces.

Thinking about replacing the bent strut and maybe increasing its size through new longer struts to become the frame for a shelter to to put around my scope when camping, like at Stellafane. Just use a tarp and bungies to make the skin, maybe tent stakes to hold it down.

Has anyone done something similar?

Peter 

Attached Thumbnails

• frame.jpg

• ShaulaB likes this

#2 Medic002

Medic002

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 06 June 2021 - 03:34 PM

don't know about that but i got a notification lastnight that someone posted a scope tent on astromart lastnight for sell. it was posted as brand new but i didn't look at it just through my email.

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Gemini

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 06 June 2021 - 03:47 PM

Replacement aluminum tubing can get pricey rather quickly. Much less costly to create a space using PVC pipe and tarps. You could get really creative and install grommets all along the edges in order to lace the edges to the PVC frame. This would add to the structural integrity and allow you to use clevis pins on the corners and elbows. As you say, tent stakes would be a great idea as well.

• pbealo, psandelle, ShaulaB and 1 other like this

#4 gwlee

gwlee

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 06 June 2021 - 03:52 PM

My telescope shelter is a plastic garbage bag. If the wind comes up, I put the scope in the truck. 

• wrvond likes this

#5 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:09 PM

A TeleGizmos or Astrosystems cover presents a smaller profile to the wind and the winds down here can howl. And they really work to protect the gear.

• psandelle, Raginar and Medic002 like this

#6 jimr2

jimr2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sparks, NV

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:20 PM

As they say havasman, everything's bigger in Texas--including the wind!

#7 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vanguard

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:27 PM

Something like this ????

At SRO-3.JPG

• dmdouglass, Raginar, wrvond and 2 others like this

#8 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:38 PM

As they say havasman, everything's bigger in Texas--including the wind!

Well certainly you guys in NW Nevada are no strangers to wind. I spent some time in '89/90 up NE of Gerlach and the wind whipping across those flats was no small thing.

There was a post a week or two ago from WVa that spoke of extreme, sustained winds of 15/20mph. Springtime afternoon in the west.  smirk.gif 

• CCD-Freak, archer1960 and ShaulaB like this

#9 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:46 PM

You might try Googling "camping shower tent". I've seen several designs that could be used successfully for "scope shelters". I use a small "grab n go" rig and I've been giving this pop-up the eye: https://www.amazon.c...2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Edited by BlueMoon, 06 June 2021 - 06:50 PM.

• pbealo and Bill Geertsen like this

#10 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vanguard

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 06 June 2021 - 07:28 PM

Well certainly you guys in NW Nevada are no strangers to wind. I spent some time in '89/90 up NE of Gerlach and the wind whipping across those flats was no small thing.

There was a post a week or two ago from WVa that spoke of extreme, sustained winds of 15/20mph. Springtime afternoon in the west.  smirk.gif 

The above picture was made the day after we had winds up to 53 mph according to the onsite weather station.   You have to tie things down WELL here in Texas. (^8

Edited by CCD-Freak, 06 June 2021 - 07:28 PM.

• Raginar and havasman like this

#11 Medic002

Medic002

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 06 June 2021 - 07:38 PM

I just got a telegizmo cover for my scope and love the thing already. It seems like it will hold up very well and easy to just put right over your scope and leave it sitting anywhere u want without having to worry about it 24/7 365. You don't have to put it together either and folds right up into a nice little square u can store in a bag or box. I would just use it inside also so you probably never have to really store it anywhere. Some people stated that they leave their whole scope outside in the yard all year round through rain and whatever weather comes along.

#12 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:10 AM

I use a round Weber grill cover. $15. It has a Velcro strip to secure it to a tripod leg. Works fine for short term use, but I wouldn’t leave a scope under it long term or if really bad weather was coming.

Takes up very little space when packing the car for a camping trip.
  • pbealo likes this

#13 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:53 AM

You guys ever seen helical screws?  I bought some for a 'tree house' I built.  The one I bought was nearly 36" long and took a hammer drill... I imagine for a temporary setup you could get a shorter one and I could've put that in with my Milwaukee drill.  

• ShaulaB likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics