•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

P8079nonHP - DIY Fun NV Build - Washed Out Result

NV
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VegaSkyLoom

VegaSkyLoom

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2021 - 10:50 PM

New to the forums here, and really glad to be part of a group of very cool and smart people.

To speak in brief about myself, I have taught for years in state park settings, combining astronomy science with native, asian and greek star myths, and constellations painting via pointer.

Recently decided to try something new in the NV field, and picked up a P8079 non-HP variant.

Got it all rigged up with 4 AA's, and a nice tripod mount.

Dug the rubber away, and discovered the gain control.

It seems that the non-HP variant, is differentiated from the HP to the extent that gain control is not automatic.

There seems to be a single gain adjustment screw, rather than the two found on the HP.

I thought that manual gain would be a plus, but I have been unable to secure any image other than a fully washed out green field.

Adjustment of the screw merely dims or strengthens the green, and I cannot get any detail on stars or even closer objects such as trees etc.

It's just a washout. Am I missing something here? I have not yet added a lens.

As the non-HP seems to be less common, I have not found a manual anywhere on the web. Does anyone have one?

Essentially brainstorming here on the status of this tube, and wondering what I could do from here.

Thank you!

Edited by VegaSkyLoom, 06 June 2021 - 10:55 PM.

#2 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Roseville,Mn.

Posted 06 June 2021 - 11:19 PM

If this device is like the NV devices we all use you must have a lens to image onto the face of the tube and then an eyepiece lens to see the image the tube creates.

• VegaSkyLoom likes this

#3 maxmir

maxmir

Viking 1

• ***--

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:12 AM

Read :

https://www.cloudyni...ruise-ship-nvd/

• VegaSkyLoom likes this

#4 VegaSkyLoom

VegaSkyLoom

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:09 PM

Dale and Maxmir, thanks very much.

I went through the full forum at your link maxmir, and found a lot of really helpful info but nothing exactly specific to the lack of any detail on the tube's output, as being normal.

Why is it that no output at all can be seen on the tube itself?

I wish I could find some other users who are using the non-HP variant of the P8079, and find a manual somewhere.

Thanks once again.

#5 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Roseville,Mn.

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:10 AM

You have to have a lens objective in front of the tube that focuses the light onto the front..   Other wise it is just like holding a piece of paper up in a well lit room and expecting an image to form on it.   That will only happen if you focus a lens or pin hole onto a darkened paper.  

You could block off part of the light by covering 1/2 the face of the tube with something that is opaque to IR then I think you may see the same pattern on the output.

I think the fact that you see a green glow is that the tube is working.   If not it would be black or dark.

• VegaSkyLoom likes this

#6 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Apollo

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:09 AM

Welcome to the forum Vega.  waytogo.gif

You might also look at this link:

https://stargazerslo...ht-vision-tube/

It suggests that a manual is available on-line, since certain pages were linked.  

Good luck. 

• VegaSkyLoom likes this

#7 VegaSkyLoom

VegaSkyLoom

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2021 - 04:48 PM

Dale, your explanation is super appreciated. This is making sense for me now. Given the lack of info Ive found on the web, I hope your post can help future amateur astronomers who are new to NV.

Geezer, the instructions links on that page are for the more common HP version, but there's some great hi-res photos.

Thanks to all who have added their input to help.

Edited by VegaSkyLoom, 27 June 2021 - 04:54 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics