•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Problems with Stellarium and iOptron Mount Control

Imaging EAA Mount
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 07 June 2021 - 04:44 PM

Hi All;

I've been trying to use Stellarium (Angle Mode) in conjunction with my iOptron CEM 70 Mount and seem to consistently encounter 'freezing' problems that end up crashing the application and sometimes cause me to need to re-start my computer.

So, I'm wondering whether this is a known, and un-solved issue, or is there some way to get the mount and Stellarium to work together.

Thanks for any insights!

Gary

#2 larryjh

larryjh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Marriottsville, MD, USA

Posted 08 June 2021 - 03:26 PM

You've probably already thought of the following suggestions, but here's a few things to consider:

I have the CEM26, which I think uses the same ASCOM driver as the CEM70.  When I updated the CEM26 firmware, the ASCOM driver was no longer compatible, so if you've recently updated one, but not the other, that could be a problem.  There could also be compatibility problems if you don't have the latest ASCOM version.

I see that you have a remote setup.  Do the crashes only occur for remote operation?  I ended up switching to "angle" mode, which you have also, but before I did so I would get freezes also (using Windows Remote Desktop), so it might be worth trying some of the other Stellarium variants, or trying to run with something like tight VNC, which also stopped the crashes for me until I figured out "angle" mode.

You could try running with all of your antivirus software disabled.

You could also try running Stellarium as admin.  I've occasionally had problems with programs crashing or freezing that was solved by "run as admin".

#3 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 08 June 2021 - 04:45 PM

Thanks Larry - guess I have some homework....ioptron is updating my firmware so I'll see how things work when that's done and then work down your idea list.

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Imaging, EAA, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics