•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cygnus Wide-Field From a Classic Folder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:05 PM

Hello all, I thought I'd share this not-so-special image made while experimenting with some wide-field film AP attempts in September 2017. I mounted my circa-1947 Zeiss-Ikon Ikonta C 6x9 folding camera with a 105mm f/3.5 Tessar on the piggyback mount of my circa-1997 Celestron Celestar 8 Deluxe aimed at Cygnus.

I was hoping to catch a little more detail, but this was the best of the bunch (I did 8 exposures at different times) with a 20-minute exposure at f/4 on Kodak 400TMax film, processed in HC-110B. You can click on the image to my Flickr posting of this and see the full size.

36383211084_b4f97932f8_b.jpg

Cheers, Allan

Edited by ETXer, 07 June 2021 - 08:10 PM.

• zjc26138, telesonic, SkyHunter1 and 1 other like this

#2 gwfbmd

gwfbmd

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DC

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:33 PM

I never get tired of seeing good films shots like these.  In fact, I hope to get back into film sometime.  Back in the day, I was more of a Tri-X man than a TMAX fan.  I also liked Plus-X but it was pretty slow.  I have no idea what film is available now.  I generally used Tri-X or Plus-X in D76 back it the early 1990s.  I felt like TMAX had a harsher look in everyday photography and I was not a fan of it for AP, either.

Did you print this first or just scan from the negative?  A 6x9 scanner would be pretty fancy.

• ETXer likes this

#3 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:24 AM

I never get tired of seeing good films shots like these.  In fact, I hope to get back into film sometime.  Back in the day, I was more of a Tri-X man than a TMAX fan.  I also liked Plus-X but it was pretty slow.  I have no idea what film is available now.  I generally used Tri-X or Plus-X in D76 back it the early 1990s.  I felt like TMAX had a harsher look in everyday photography and I was not a fan of it for AP, either.

Did you print this first or just scan from the negative?  A 6x9 scanner would be pretty fancy.

Many thanks! I went with TMax at the time since I thought it had better reciprocity characteristics than Tri-X... I'm not sure if that's truly the case, I have to look it up now. Fuji Acros is pretty much the king of B&W films just for that reason.

I printed this at the time, but what you see is a scan of the 6x9 negative, made with an Epson 4990 flatbed scanner; it generally gives me the results I need. Upon close inspection the aberrations from the vintage lens can be seen toward the corners, but it was still fun to try!

Cheers, Allan

• gwfbmd likes this

#4 gwfbmd

gwfbmd

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:40 AM

I still have some of my cameras, like my two 6x6 TLRs, my all-mechanical Vivitar 35mm SLR with Spotmatic lenses, and a Pentax PZ-1.  Unfortunately I long ago sold my Topcon SuperDM and Yashica 125G and 35mmTLR!  Back in 1999 or 2000 that looked like a good thing to do!  I see you have TLRs as well.  They were always my favourite camera type.

I would love to get back into film, but the money stands in my way right now.  I have my enlarger still but the tanks and trays have disappeared.  Film equipment is as expensive as ever, and film and chemicals even more so.  Oh well, I hope to try it again in the next couple of years.

Keep us posted as to your progress.  I can assure you there are more film junkies out there than generally supposed.

• ETXer likes this

#5 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 June 2021 - 01:59 PM

I still have some of my cameras, like my two 6x6 TLRs, my all-mechanical Vivitar 35mm SLR with Spotmatic lenses, and a Pentax PZ-1.  Unfortunately I long ago sold my Topcon SuperDM and Yashica 125G and 35mmTLR!  Back in 1999 or 2000 that looked like a good thing to do!  I see you have TLRs as well.  They were always my favourite camera type.

I would love to get back into film, but the money stands in my way right now.  I have my enlarger still but the tanks and trays have disappeared.  Film equipment is as expensive as ever, and film and chemicals even more so.  Oh well, I hope to try it again in the next couple of years.

Keep us posted as to your progress.  I can assure you there are more film junkies out there than generally supposed.

Those are all eligible for astrophotography! If my old 6x9 folding camera can do it, those certainly can. A big drawback in this case was the smaller aperture that required a long exposure time. I did a longer time on the roll (30 minutes), but there was a large amount of sky fog present. I used an off-axis guider with an illuminated reticle; the scope has a basic hand controller to help keep the scope on target.

Tanks and trays can be had cheaply, especially used. Chemistry isn't overly expensive but yes, film can add up, requiring judicious use. But in my opinion it's fun and worth it! Your encouragement is making me think about going out there again and give it another shot... but this time with 35mm and a faster lens. ;)

• gwfbmd likes this

#6 gwfbmd

gwfbmd

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 03:08 PM

I agree, a fast lens is everything.  My TLRs are f/3.5, I think.  I think my Vivitar screw-mount is a 50/2.8 so it's not that great either.  Slow lenses make it take so long.

I have access to a very dark site, Bortle 2, and a good mount/reticle eyepiece/guider so I will likely try film again sometime soon.  People gave up too quickly on film!  It is actually great fun and a whole different experience from the digital cameras.

I think I will likely shoot slide film and process it myself.  I did lots of E-6 in the past times and it was fun.

If I am understanding this, you are indicating you used a regular scanner, rather than an actual film scanner?  I do have a cheap scanner but I didn't know it would work for scanning film.  I have a film scanner but it only does 35mm.

Glen

• ETXer likes this

#7 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 June 2021 - 08:01 PM

Sounds like a great plan, I envy your B2 skies, you don't have to contend with the sky fog that I have! I've heard good things about the new Kodak Ektachrome E100 (somewhere in this forum) since the old best option, E200 is discontinued. I may get a couple rolls and give it a try myself.

My scanner, the Epson 4990, is well-suited to scanning film from 35mm (both negative strips and mounted slides) all the way up to 8x10 using various adapters placed on the scanning glass. It was eventually replaced by the Epson V700-800 series which give at least as good results, if not better. The Epson V800-series scanners are quite pricey, but older versions are quite affordable.

Cheers, Allan

• Joe F Gafford and gwfbmd like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics