•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What do I have?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DitchDoc

DitchDoc

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2021 - 11:12 PM

We were garage saleing in Montana over week. We know nothing about telescopes. We found a nearly new in box "Scope" brand "Astronomical reflector Model No. 2538 F=600mm D=75mm". This thing is pretty **** clean. The box is in good shape. No paperwork. Even has the original wooden stand. It has one eye piece. 

I am sure it's nothing valuable, but it seems functional. Any information on it would be appreciated. Maybe even a learners site for something comparable. 

Thank you in advance. 

Mark

Edited by DitchDoc, 08 June 2021 - 12:02 AM.

#2 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 07 June 2021 - 11:37 PM

Welcome! A picture would help. (Go to More Reply Options and upload a pic under 500 KB.) 

#3 Alrakis

Alrakis

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:13 AM

Mark,

From this link

https://www.invaluab...81-c-fbf4147a60

It looks like you have an old classic 3 inch reflector. You should check out the classics forum for help.

Chris 

• Sky King and Waynosworld like this

#4 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:53 AM

Moved from Reflectors. 

#5 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:23 AM

It’s a 75mm f/8 Newtonian, probably made by Towa, on an alt-az yoke mount. There are a lot of similar scopes discussed on here - the Tasco 3tr is probably the most common. Scope was a Sears brand. A search for 76mm or 3 inch newtonian should provide quite a bit of information.

#6 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:29 AM

Here's the Kmart Focal Model T191:

T191 - Setup CN01.jpg

And some Moon pix made with it:

T191 - Moon CNG01.jpg T191 - Moon CNG02.jpg

• jim kuhns, steve t, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#7 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:27 PM

As I see pictures like this one of the little Newt, and that SPI 40mm F20 you posted in the other thread JW along with many others (Unitrons, etc.), and I go through my own picture galleries of all the ones I’ve turned over, I can’t get over how many, many telescopes we’ve gone through here in the past eight years! It’s mind-blowing! ohmy.png

Edited by Terra Nova, 08 June 2021 - 01:28 PM.

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#8 DitchDoc

DitchDoc

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:55 PM

I am unable to get the image down to low enough MB to upload. I will try later. 

I did find the same link to the old auction as you did. Still not much information. 

where can I get a manual on how to used it? 

I am able to get it to almost focus on some distance trees. 

Is there an adapter to reinvert the image so it is not upside down?

and is it possible to get a camera adapter for something this old?

thanks again. 

#9 DitchDoc

DitchDoc

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:55 PM

I did find the same link to the old auction as you did. Still not much information. 

thanks again. 

#10 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 08 June 2021 - 03:31 PM

thanks again. 

You can use Paint in Windows Accessories to reduce the size to under 500 KB (resize).  Very nice find! 

#11 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 08 June 2021 - 03:39 PM

You can use Paint in Windows Accessories to reduce the size to under 500 KB (resize).  Very nice find! 

Make sure to save as jpeg, not bmp.

#12 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Page, AZ 36°54'45"N 111°27'39"W 1327.7AMSL

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:31 PM

Go here:  Reflector Links of Interest

read. a lot.

#13 DitchDoc

DitchDoc

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:46 PM

this what i can get

Close up 3.jpg Close up 3.jpg

• steve t, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#14 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:46 AM

Cosmetics look very good.

#15 telescope200

telescope200

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: south eastern Pennsylvania

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:54 AM

Need a few more pictures (of the mount, tripod, finder scope on side, etc) to tell you anything more useful as far as usage/manual, etc.

Is it a fork mount like the Kmart Focal Model T191 above or something more like this Gilbert?

For astronomy you don't normally invert the image, you leave it upside down. Image inverters degrade the performance of the telescope.

The scope would be too flimsy to do anything with a camera.

It looks like it has a fairly narrow field 6mm .965" eyepiece on it, that will be no fun to use. .965" is a cheap old eyepiece standard, all the new/better stuff you will find is 1.25''. You can get a 0.965'' to 1.25'' Eyepiece Adapter and then look up a few better 1.25'' eyepieces. People in this group can probably give you pointers on which eyepieces to chose.

A 3" Newtonian like this can be fun to use, given some good eyepieces, good for the moon, Saturn, Jupiter, some deep sky objects. Googling "using a small telescope" actually brings up allot of helpful information on using your little find there.

Robert S

Edit: If you want to go a little cheaper, you can try SurplusShed.com. Check out .965 eyepieces -- they have a few that would work. You already have the "high power" 6mm, you would want to look into their better quality 16mm to 40mm eyepieces - low power, better field of view, thats where this scope is going to shine.

Edited by telescope200, 10 June 2021 - 07:24 AM.

• steve t likes this

#16 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:00 PM

Need a few more pictures (of the mount, tripod, finder scope on side, etc) to tell you anything more useful as far as usage/manual, etc.

Is it a fork mount like the Kmart Focal Model T191 above or something more like this Gilbert?

For astronomy you don't normally invert the image, you leave it upside down. Image inverters degrade the performance of the telescope.

The scope would be too flimsy to do anything with a camera.

It looks like it has a fairly narrow field 6mm .965" eyepiece on it, that will be no fun to use. .965" is a cheap old eyepiece standard, all the new/better stuff you will find is 1.25''. You can get a 0.965'' to 1.25'' Eyepiece Adapter and then look up a few better 1.25'' eyepieces. People in this group can probably give you pointers on which eyepieces to chose.

A 3" Newtonian like this can be fun to use, given some good eyepieces, good for the moon, Saturn, Jupiter, some deep sky objects. Googling "using a small telescope" actually brings up allot of helpful information on using your little find there.

Robert S

Edit: If you want to go a little cheaper, you can try SurplusShed.com. Check out .965 eyepieces -- they have a few that would work. You already have the "high power" 6mm, you would want to look into their better quality 16mm to 40mm eyepieces - low power, better field of view, thats where this scope is going to shine.

My old red tube Tasco reflector wouldn't come to focus with that adapter, I ended up putting a 1.25 focuser off a newer Tasco on it. Not great but it works. I'm unfamiliar with the focuser on tho OP's scope, it doesn't look to be rack and pinion?

#17 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:18 PM

My old red tube Tasco reflector wouldn't come to focus with that adapter, I ended up putting a 1.25 focuser off a newer Tasco on it. Not great but it works. I'm unfamiliar with the focuser on tho OP's scope, it doesn't look to be rack and pinion?

It’s helical and relatively short. Most r&p focusers will be too tall for this scope. Lumicon made a low profile helical that doesn’t extend into the tube. It would be short enough and wouldn’t require a new hole.

#18 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:25 PM

While I personally have not "sailed" a garage before, are they even water tight?, I have attended many yard sales. You would not believe my collection of yards I have amassed over many decades of purchasing selected good ones. LOL!

Looks like you lucked out. While a 3-inch refractor many not have the greatest light collecting capability, there are many that have very good quality air-spaced lenses as well as robust GEM and sturdy tripods. With the right collection of eyepieces, which can really bring out the quality of the objective, you should have a nice instrument that could give years of enjoyment when used properly and your expectations of a 3-inch scope are realistic.

Good luck and have fun!

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• steve t likes this

#19 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:30 PM

It’s helical and relatively short. Most r&p focusers will be too tall for this scope. Lumicon made a low profile helical that doesn’t extend into the tube. It would be short enough and wouldn’t require a new hole.

That Lumicon is pretty nice. I picked up that 114 Tasco for $50.00 and used the mount for a different scope and put the focuser on my short FL red Tasco so I guess I saved a few bucks. Making a new hole proved to be a bit of a challenge though. I figured it must be a helical focuser but I've never had one.

#20 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:49 PM

Here’s mine. The base contour fits a 7” diameter tube so it would need shims for a smaller scope. At some point I’ll use it to build a long focus 6” with a tiny secondary.

Attached Thumbnails

• 84C294D2-2D55-4BB5-8D6C-45AAF2CB80E7.jpeg

Edited by sdedalus83, 12 June 2021 - 12:49 PM.

• steve t, Bomber Bob and DouglasPaul like this

#21 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 15 June 2021 - 12:01 AM

We were garage saleing in Montana over week. We know nothing about telescopes. We found a nearly new in box "Scope" brand "Astronomical reflector Model No. 2538 F=600mm D=75mm". This thing is pretty **** clean. The box is in good shape. No paperwork. Even has the original wooden stand. It has one eye piece. 

I am sure it's nothing valuable, but it seems functional. Any information on it would be appreciated. Maybe even a learners site for something comparable. 

Thank you in advance. 

Mark

Mark.

Why don't you come " garage sale diving" at my place. Maybe you'll walk away with something else.

You said in "Montana", but didn't pin point it.

Clear Skies.

#22 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:08 AM

While I personally have not "sailed" a garage before, are they even water tight?, I have attended many yard sales. You would not believe my collection of yards I have amassed over many decades of purchasing selected good ones. LOL!

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Mark.

Why don't you come " garage sale diving" at my place. Maybe you'll walk away with something else.

You said in "Montana", but didn't pin point it.

Clear Skies.

...errr, wouldn't that be <"you'll swim away with something else">..? :lol:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics