•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SGP centering failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dgpilot

dgpilot

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:27 AM

I had to write this several times to remove the profanity and otherwise aggressive language, especially after losing 5 perfectly clear nights and one Bortle 3 dark sky night.

Problem:

Been using SGP for over a year no, no major probs. Out of the blue, this starts to happen..

Sequence Generator Pro fails to center the target with this error message below.. however it ONLY happens when I'm asleep/away from the computer!

scaleerror.jpg

Now, my experience tells me it's usually a wrong setting, either in camera settings or Plate solving settings.. however I've checked and rechecked. Here's what really throws me off: I've tested various sequences and they ALL center perfectly with no errors while I'm monitoring the computer. Zero issues plate solving, no errors whatsoever. Yet.. as soon as I go to sleep, it throws a huge fit and aborts the whole sequence. To say this is rage-inducing is an understatement.

Nothing has changed, no hardware, no software, nothing. Yet how can it go from perfectly centering a target with zero plate-solving errors, to suddenly throwing this error in the middle of the night? I only use one settings profile.. and I've made sure the sequence is using that profile. Same one I've been using for a year.

After night 4 I started using NINA. Plate solves and images perfectly as the software currently stands. I have a love-hate relationship with NINA though. I think it's great, but it lacks the sequence planning features such as what time to start/end etc. I know some of these might be in the new nightly builds but I don't wish to use unstable builds. So here we circle back to SGP again.

If this is user error.. great! I'd love to know where I made the mistake and move on. However if I have a suggestion to make for SGP is to remove the absurd default value of "abort sequence" just because the "scale is not within 25% of scale hint".. the target was actually centered in view.

#2 dgpilot

dgpilot

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:39 AM

Settings:

settings2.jpg

settings1.jpg

Scope: Esprit 80ED

Camera: ASI294mm

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:10 AM

I think that you need to tell SGP to save the images it's taking to do the solve. No plate solver is invariably successful. 

One thought is inadequate "settle time".  I don't use SGP but I tell my systems to wait two seconds after a slew to settle down before trying to take any centering exposures. 

Have you determined that the failure is not due to the scope continuing to image when it hits the meridian and stops?

Perhaps you're getting some dew or a passing cloud, I don't know. However, if it's failing, being able to inspect the failed image should give you a clue.

#4 dgpilot

dgpilot

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:41 AM

Have you determined that the failure is not due to the scope continuing to image when it hits the meridian and stops?

Perhaps you're getting some dew or a passing cloud, I don't know. However, if it's failing, being able to inspect the failed image should give you a clue.

Thanks for your reply

The nice thing is that in the mornings I get to see this failed plate solved image. And every single time, it's been a perfectly fine exposure, round stars, no issues.

#5 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:40 PM

The error message says solved but hint is wrong.   Is this a new target that you slew to and image when you are asleep? 

I dumped SGP for NINA, so my memory of SGP is a little rusty.  Is there a per target setting for image scale, or is it all done in one place for the night?

I have not tried NINA Nightly builds, but all the Alphas and Betas worked very well.

Edited by t-ara-fan, 24 June 2021 - 03:47 PM.

#6 dgpilot

dgpilot

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:28 PM

The error message says solved but hint is wrong.   Is this a new target that you slew to and image when you are asleep? 

I dumped SGP for NINA, so my memory of SGP is a little rusty.  Is there a per target setting for image scale, or is it all done in one place for the night?

I have not tried NINA Nightly builds, but all the Alphas and Betas worked very well.

I can't seem to remember anymore actually.. because a few days after this thread I switched to a NINA Nightly build and have been happy ever since.

Highly recommended.

• mikefulb likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics