•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New garage Build with dormer observatory -- ideas requested

Observatory
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MDL1

MDL1

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:12 AM

I'm adding a separate single story two "car" garage to my house and I'm looking for ideas on how to build a "dormer" roll off roof observatory.  I'm good on how to design the concrete piers that are isolated from the slab, but what I'm wrestling with is how to do a wind and rain "proof" roll off roof design that won't have a bunch of external trusses or support mechanisms that my HOA will object to. I can't do a dome and the roll off roof will need to match (aesthetically) the rest of the garage so it will need to have a shingle roof. I also need a design that will hold up to winds and rain.  I live in the hill country and we can get fairly high winds (and hail) with storms in the spring (and remnants of hurricanes in the late summer/fall).

A brief description of the base project:

The garage is 26' x 32' with a single story and a 7/12 pitch gabled roof on a concrete slab.  The internal ceiling height will be 10 feet from the bottom of the roof trusses to the floor.

I plan to have two concrete piers so I'm looking at roughly a 7' x 9' opening in the rear left half of the roof as a planning factor.  The back half floor space (13' x 12') of the left side car bay will be used for the observatory to provide room to build an enclosed  walk up deck with the piers from the ground to the observation height. 

So, a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone done anything like this and do you have any pics or diagrams?

2. Has anyone used 80/20 extruded aluminum framing and 80/20 rollers (similar to the Pier Tech roll off roof) but skinned it with plywood and shingles? Will the 8020 framing and rollers support the added weight.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and clear skies to all!

#2 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:29 AM

Sounds like you are going to be doing proper construction but I thought I would show you my little observatory. It is a total hack but it works great and it is by far the the best investment in this hobby that I could have made.

https://www.cloudyni...st-20/?hl=+nest

Edited by descott12, 08 June 2021 - 12:01 PM.

• Stevegeo likes this

#3 MDL1

MDL1

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Dave--that's a neat setup and gives me some stuff to think about!

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:00 AM

With those myriad boundary conditions

>intimately attached to the house

>mods to long-span trusses

>Homeowners Association restrictions/agreements

>hilly, wind, rain, hail

Makes sense to get an architect involved right from the get-go. There are a few ways to do these things right... and plenty of ways to botch it.    Tom

#5 MDL1

MDL1

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:17 PM

Tom--thanks.  Definitely plan to get an architect to do the design.  I'm just trying to pull some concept stuff together to help him visualize what I'm looking for--which I'm still not fully sure of at this point :)

#6 speedster

speedster

Astronomy Architecture and Engineering at McCathren Architects

• Vendors
  • Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:51 PM

It can be done with 80/20 but you might think about inverted double channel Unistrut with Unistrut trolleys.  It can significantly reduce the size of the gaps making it easier to weatherstrip.  Also makes for a nice minimalist appearance to make the HOA happy.  80/20 rollers are good for about 35 pounds.  Unistrut trolleys are rated up to 600 pounds and are also half the cost of a 80/20 roller pair. 

#7 MDL1

MDL1

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:50 PM

Thanks Jim...I took a look at some Unistrut videos and it looks like a much better option than 8020.  Really appreciate the information!  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics