•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari Pro nomenclature question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mbhnm

mbhnm

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: East Tennessee

Posted 08 June 2021 - 03:20 PM

Example: When I am using Skysafari Pro it shows: Mizar A 0.8”. When I go to the info page it lists: Separation 0.8” at 214.9 degrees. I would assume this means that Alcor is .8 arc seconds away and located at 214 degrees right declension. But when I read the accompanying notes they say Mizar and Alcor are separated by 11.8” So I seem to have something wrong and have not been able to find any explanation. If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it. If the 0.8” is not the separation distance between Mizar and Alcor, what is it? And why does a similar designation show up for most double stars (ie: Kochab 214.1”). Thanks!

#2 mbhnm

mbhnm

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 03:23 PM

Forgot to add, my version is 6.8.5.2.

#3 jc482p

jc482p

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: northern NJ, USA

Posted 08 June 2021 - 03:36 PM

Looks like the description is saying the separation of 11.8” is between Mizar and Alcor, whereas the info page is saying the separation of 0.8” is between Mizar A and Mizar B.  Mizar by itself, without Alcor, is a double star system.

• Bean614 likes this

#4 mbhnm

mbhnm

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 03:52 PM

That is possible, but further down in the notes it indicates that Mizar A and B are 14” apart. At least that is how I read it. You are probably right that the separation listed is between A and B even though most of the discussion is about Mizar and Alcor. The discussion is certainly not clear, at least to me, and makes me wonder if I am off track somewhere.

#5 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 June 2021 - 04:29 PM

Is it 11.8" (arc-sec) or 11.8' (arc-min)? 

SS6 Pro says the latter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizar

From what I read:

Mizar A and B (not Alcor) have 14" (arc-sec) separation. Each of them are binaries (Aa Ab Ba Bb).

I am guessing Sky Safari says the Mizar A double is actually Mizar Aa and Ab have 0.8" (arc-sec) separation.

#6 mbhnm

mbhnm

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 06:55 PM

That sounds correct. I miss typed 11.8” instead of 11.8’. That should be Mizar A and Alcor. The 14” is probably Mizar A and B and the 0.8” Mizar Aa and Ab. Seems I read that Alcor may also have a double as well, a complicated little group. I think that clears it up in my mind and will give me a clearer idea of what to look for. Looks like the best I can hope for with my scopes is to see Mizar A and Alcor with maybe Mizar B on a clear night. Thanks!

#7 sanbai

sanbai

Apollo

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:30 PM

My guess it's that there's a kind of automatic value in the data tab. Some stars have listed separations that I would not consider "double star", especially with the magnitude difference. I would say even the description tab may automatically tell you a about that separation based on some algorithm and the proximity of stars rather than a double star catalog information. This happens with many bright stars there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics