•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Property Availability in New Mexico Astronomy Village

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 barrett_flansburg

barrett_flansburg

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Mexico Astronomy Village

Posted 08 June 2021 - 05:25 PM

I live in the New Mexico Astronomy Village near Deming, New Mexico. A property in the village with home and acreage recently went on the market. It is currently owned by non-astronomers, so there is no observatory on the property. However, the astronomers in the village would very much like the property to sell to an astronomer in order to grow the community and keep out any offensive lights. We have no financial interest in the sale of the property and will receive no referral fees from any sale. The property already has a well, septic field, electricity, home, and metal workshop. So an astronomer could immediately move in and start building an observatory. The home is big enough to be shared by two or more astronomers not wanting to move permanently to the village.

Here is the listing for the property on Zillow:

https://www.zillow.c...230358140_zpid/

The skies at the New Mexico Astronomy Village are Bortle 2 with an overhead SQM of about 21.5 and a dry climate that provides many clear nights a year. The location is a good compromise of dark skies for astronomy while maintaining access to restaurants and shopping in nearby Deming and Silver City. A 1.5 hour drive to Las Cruces on Interstate 10 gives you access to all of the big box stores and chain restaurants. A major international airport is located in El Paso, Texas. The astronomy village is home to about two dozen residents including both visual astronomers and imagers, with regular activities for dining out, movie nights, and star parties.

Contact the real estate agent directly if you have questions about the property or contact me by PM if you have any questions about the astronomy village.

• ShaulaB, AlwaysHungry, DSOGabe and 1 other like this

#2 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 08 June 2021 - 06:10 PM

I live in the New Mexico Astronomy Village near Deming, New Mexico. A property in the village with home and acreage recently went on the market. It is currently owned by non-astronomers, so there is no observatory on the property. However, the astronomers in the village would very much like the property to sell to an astronomer in order to grow the community and keep out any offensive lights. We have no financial interest in the sale of the property and will receive no referral fees from any sale. The property already has a well, septic field, electricity, home, and metal workshop. So an astronomer could immediately move in and start building an observatory. The home is big enough to be shared by two or more astronomers not wanting to move permanently to the village.

Here is the listing for the property on Zillow:

https://www.zillow.c...230358140_zpid/

The skies at the New Mexico Astronomy Village are Bortle 2 with an overhead SQM of about 21.5 and a dry climate that provides many clear nights a year. The location is a good compromise of dark skies for astronomy while maintaining access to restaurants and shopping in nearby Deming and Silver City. A 1.5 hour drive to Las Cruces on Interstate 10 gives you access to all of the big box stores and chain restaurants. A major international airport is located in El Paso, Texas. The astronomy village is home to about two dozen residents including both visual astronomers and imagers, with regular activities for dining out, movie nights, and star parties.

Contact the real estate agent directly if you have questions about the property or contact me by PM if you have any questions about the astronomy village.

You might want to repost in the observatory forum.

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 08 June 2021 - 06:23 PM

What an amazing deal! Some people spend this much on a pick'em'up truck. If I could live without my grandson, I'd have pressed 'Contact Agent' already.

Utilities are usually the problem on remote property such as this. But that is all taken care of.

I'm jealous of whomever gets to buy this...

• turtle86, CCD-Freak, ShaulaB and 1 other like this

#4 barrett_flansburg

barrett_flansburg

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:22 PM

You might want to repost in the observatory forum.

I agree! But I was told by the moderators that duplicate posts in multiple forums were not allowed. So I chose the Light Pollution forum because that is where most of the threads discussing dark sky sites reside. I'll see what can be done...

• DuncanM and jcj380 like this

#5 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 09 June 2021 - 07:29 AM

A reminder about the Terms of Service:

"i. Cross-posting is not permitted. Pick the most appropriate forum for your topic and post it there, once. Duplicate topics will be removed."

• csa/montana likes this

#6 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:37 PM

I agree! But I was told by the moderators that duplicate posts in multiple forums were not allowed. So I chose the Light Pollution forum because that is where most of the threads discussing dark sky sites reside. I'll see what can be done...

You can place an add in the classifieds as well.

#7 KTAZ

KTAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:47 PM

If I weren't married with a kiddo, I'd liquidate my 401K tomorrow and move...

• paul and AstroFrankMontana like this

#8 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:54 PM

Would be a nice place to have. Though the 70's/80's want thier light fixtures and fans back.. Just sayin'!grin.gif

Cheap update and selling point. If one can install themselves, less than a grand would give it much more appeal to the eyes. 

Do some jobs for realtors, and a lot go's into that selling appeal when buyer opens the door. And those fan blades burn the eyes!lol.gif

Oh.. and those vanity Hollywood bulb strips with bulbs removed?...Sweet!wink.gif

Edited by spacemunkee, 09 June 2021 - 04:57 PM.

#9 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 09 June 2021 - 06:29 PM

Love the shop!

• CCD-Freak likes this

#10 Gastrol

Gastrol

Surveyor 1

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:23 PM

Man, that is dirt cheap!   And the property looks great!

#11 KI5CAW

KI5CAW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Mountains, New Mexico

Posted 10 June 2021 - 03:33 PM

Before you sell all and move, check out the climate and geography of the Deming area. Flat desert, oven hot all summer. Close to the southern border. Good spot for astronomy in the winter, though.

#12 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:39 PM

Before you sell all and move, check out the climate and geography of the Deming area. Flat desert, oven hot all summer. Close to the southern border. Good spot for astronomy in the winter, though.

You forgot to mention the downsides to the area....what were they??

• Dynan likes this

#13 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:44 PM

ASPB ~ Astronomer Snow Bird Property

And importantly, what is the impact of wildfire smoke on the desiccated Southwest?

#14 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:39 AM

I find it interesting that there is a mix of non-astronomers and astronomers in the villages, as I would have assumed it to have attracted only astronomers.

#15 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:40 AM

If I was in the US - I'd buy it now, shell that outbuilding and install about 10 piers. Looks like a great location but needs a little TLC. 

Edited by SimonIRE, 11 June 2021 - 07:41 AM.

#16 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Gemini

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:48 AM

I find it interesting that there is a mix of non-astronomers and astronomers in the villages, as I would have assumed it to have attracted only astronomers.

This does not surprise me.

First, the properties are inexpensive compared to major metro areas, especially on the east and west coasts.

Second, astronomers in general are usually fine upstanding citizens who won't tolerate crime or foolishness where they live. Safety is a feature that a lot of people, especially older folks, value.

With all my $#&@* health problems, I would not want to live so far from a major medical center. I hope some astronomer or group of them can take advantage of this opportunity.

Maybe someone can turn it into a rental property for astro folks?

#17 firemachine69

firemachine69

Ranger 4

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:04 AM

A little too close to the cartel hotspots, I'd think...

#18 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:12 AM

That's nonsense.  

This does not surprise me.

First, the properties are inexpensive compared to major metro areas, especially on the east and west coasts.

Second, astronomers in general are usually fine upstanding citizens who won't tolerate crime or foolishness where they live. Safety is a feature that a lot of people, especially older folks, value.

With all my $#&@* health problems, I would not want to live so far from a major medical center. I hope some astronomer or group of them can take advantage of this opportunity.

Maybe someone can turn it into a rental property for astro folks?

Deming NM is a town with 15000 people and has a hospital with an ER.

We shop there frequently.

#19 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:14 AM

C'mon, that's nonsense. The US Border Patrol is most active where it needs to be, and these areas are very well policed. 

#20 rlillard

rlillard

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ & SF Bay, CA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:22 PM

I did not see broadband access under utilities  in the ad.  That's a deal killer for me.

• Dynan likes this

#21 barrett_flansburg

barrett_flansburg

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:21 AM

I did not see broadband access under utilities  in the ad.  That's a deal killer for me.

Internet access was a concern for me when I moved to the New Mexico Astronomy Village in 2020. There is no cable, fiber optic, or DSL internet access available in the village at present. At the suggestion of another villager, I subscribed to Net All Over, which resells cellular bandwidth from AT&T. They sold me a log periodic dipole array antenna and LTE router. I experimented with pointing the antenna at the various nearby cell towers and found the best performance by pointing it at a cell tower in Deming, which speedtest.org gave download speeds of up to 103 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 20 Mbps.  This is fine for me for email, surfing the web, and occasional streaming of TV. I use Dish Network for most of my TV. Net All Over advertises their internet as unlimited data for $74.99 per month with no throttling and I have not yet experienced any throttling of the internet speeds with my data usage of perhaps 50 GB per month. Now, if you wanted to watch ALL of your TV by streaming and/or run a remote observatory where you upload all your data every night, that is likely not possible with the cellular internet available in the village. Some villagers are looking forward to Starlink satellite internet in the near future. I’m happy with Net All Over for now.

• CCD-Freak and Dynan like this

#22 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:24 AM

<snip>. Some villagers are looking forward to Starlink satellite internet in the near future. I’m happy with Net All Over for now.

How very ironic!

• Astrola72 and Dynan like this

#23 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:02 AM

It looks (on Google Earth) like the subject property needs extensive cleanup.

#24 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vanguard

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:08 AM

Internet access was a concern for me when I moved to the New Mexico Astronomy Village in 2020. There is no cable, fiber optic, or DSL internet access available in the village at present. At the suggestion of another villager, I subscribed to Net All Over, which resells cellular bandwidth from AT&T. They sold me a log periodic dipole array antenna and LTE router. I experimented with pointing the antenna at the various nearby cell towers and found the best performance by pointing it at a cell tower in Deming, which speedtest.org gave download speeds of up to 103 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 20 Mbps.  This is fine for me for email, surfing the web, and occasional streaming of TV. I use Dish Network for most of my TV. Net All Over advertises their internet as unlimited data for $74.99 per month with no throttling and I have not yet experienced any throttling of the internet speeds with my data usage of perhaps 50 GB per month. Now, if you wanted to watch ALL of your TV by streaming and/or run a remote observatory where you upload all your data every night, that is likely not possible with the cellular internet available in the village. Some villagers are looking forward to Starlink satellite internet in the near future. I’m happy with Net All Over for now.

Great info....I will check into Net All Over for my observatory site. I am exploring my options for internet near Paducah, TX.

Thanks

#25 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 12 June 2021 - 01:40 PM

Some things to know about provides such as Net All Over. You will almost certainly not have a unique IP address due to something call carrier-grade NAT. That makes port forwarding impossible. As a result remote operation of your local computers will have to take place through the cloud with all of the attendant security and performance risks.

• jimwww likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics