•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

H Beta filter with NVD good for Horsehead Nebula?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CARL_MU1

CARL_MU1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Whitsett, North Carolina

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:32 PM

Will my 1.25 inch H Beta filter suffice for viewing Horsehead nebula in conjunction with NVD?  I've heard that with night vision you can still see horsehead without filters but maybe not as detailed.  True or not. What other visuals if any can this H beta take advantage of using night vision or just glass?

#2 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Roseville,Mn.

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:53 PM

I don't think the H beta is the filter of choice with NV.   I and many use a Narrow band HA 7 or 3nm wide depending on how much light pollution you need to look through.   My skies are about Bortle 8.   Yes with that combination I see the horse head better than I ever saw it at a dark site and H beta.

You will be astonished by the several hundred addition objects you will be able to see.   Many of them are not listed in many catalogues. 

#3 stnagy

stnagy

Sputnik

Posted 09 June 2021 - 06:48 AM

The wavelength of H beta is too short for NV and the emission is not as strong as H alpha. Go with H alpha.
  • Jeff Morgan, turtle86 and ButterFly like this

#4 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Apollo

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:20 AM

Carl,

Welcome to the forum.  Click on the pinned thread "BEST of NV" which is near the top in our forum listings and contains an index of subject matter that's been covered in the past... click on "Filters used with NV" which will bring up 10 CN links, many of which explain why we use the filters we do and under what circumstances. You might find it helpful when considering filter use, and especially, filter purchases.  Other NV subject matter is also covered in the BEST of NV, which might also be helpful to you.  Good luck.  waytogo.gif

Ray

• Joko likes this

#5 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:47 PM

The wavelength of H beta is too short for NV and the emission is not as strong as H alpha. Go with H alpha.

In emission nebula H beta is almost always a bit-player. H-a dominates.

The only reason it is used conventionally is at low illumination levels the eye is more sensitive to blue whereas deep reds are almost invisible. Might as well be radio waves!

Note that imagers whose CMOS/CCD devices are quite sensitive to blues almost never use H-beta. Go on astrobin.com and look. They go for H-a, O-III, and Sulpher (an even deeper red).

#6 ButterFly

ButterFly

Vanguard

Posted 26 June 2021 - 12:34 PM

The h-beta filter may have lots of IR leak that would completely negate any benefit.  My Lumicon h-beta and Gen III UHC have IR leak.  The Gen III OIII has no IR leak.  Unfortunately, it has to be a high surface brightness target for the OIII to work well, given the device's spectrum.  That usually means small targets that I am given power to anyway, so it gets dim very quickly.  Some planetaries can take it, but it's always better unfiltered or broad h-alpha'ed.  The Baader UHC-S is good for that.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics