•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIAir Pro SWSA2i DSLR Guide Settings?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 900SL

900SL

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:11 AM

Hello Forum

I have a question regarding guide settings

My rig is a Skywatcher Star Adventurer 2i, ASI Air Pro, Guide camera ZWO 120mm Mini, Guide Scope 120mm/30mm.

I use either a Nikon D610 or 5600 as my imaging camera with lenses from 20mm to 135mm

I've been using the default guide settings for the Calibration Step, max Dec Duration and max RA Duration.

I assume these relate somehow to the guide camera pixel size and focal length of the guidescope.

Does the calibration step refer to the exposure time when the guide does initial calibration? i.e. allows enough time between steps to get a reasonable star movement? If so then shorter for longer focal lengths (faster apparent star movement) and visa versa?

The values for Dec and RA duration I haven't been able to understand. I thought initially these related to guide exposure but that is set separately.

And what are the recommended values for a set up like mine (relatively wide field 135mm - 200 mm EFL on FF or cropped 24 mp sensors )

I've seen 8000 ms recommended for the SA with a 120mm guide scope...  

I'd very much appreciate some clarification and guidance (lol) in respect of the above

Thanks in advance, Rich

#2 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:52 PM

Hello Forum

I have a question regarding guide settings

My rig is a Skywatcher Star Adventurer 2i, ASI Air Pro, Guide camera ZWO 120mm Mini, Guide Scope 120mm/30mm.

I use either a Nikon D610 or 5600 as my imaging camera with lenses from 20mm to 135mm

I've been using the default guide settings for the Calibration Step, max Dec Duration and max RA Duration.

I assume these relate somehow to the guide camera pixel size and focal length of the guidescope.

Does the calibration step refer to the exposure time when the guide does initial calibration? i.e. allows enough time between steps to get a reasonable star movement? If so then shorter for longer focal lengths (faster apparent star movement) and visa versa?

The values for Dec and RA duration I haven't been able to understand. I thought initially these related to guide exposure but that is set separately.

And what are the recommended values for a set up like mine (relatively wide field 135mm - 200 mm EFL on FF or cropped 24 mp sensors )

I've seen 8000 ms recommended for the SA with a 120mm guide scope...  

I'd very much appreciate some clarification and guidance (lol) in respect of the above

Thanks in advance, Rich

I don't have the answers for you based on the subjective chance I would interpret either your question wrong, or the way ASI is choosing to do things, the only recommendation I can give is to go through the many many PHD2 settings here, or on youtube to see how they correlate to your appliance. 

This is one of the reason I use PHD2

Clear Skies !!

#3 michael8554

michael8554

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:18 AM

With PHD2 the Calibration Step size is set to give about 12 steps in the Calibration.

This tells PHD2 how large a pulse is needed to correct a guide error.

The recommended number of Calibration steps for an ASIAir may be different.

But entering the guidescope focal length and the guidecam pixel size should allow ASIAir to calculate the correct Cal Step size.

Maximum RA and Dec Durations can usually be left on the default setting.

In PHD2 it prevents the mount going too far off track if, for instance, a sudden wind gust sends the mount off the guide star.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics