•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nishimura, a name few know and far fewer own

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:31 PM

Well we just missed crossing paths! I knew Lew Chilton and his wife, and corresponded regularly with Clint Whitman. Sold Lew a 10” Trekkerscope I had won in an auction. Lew and Clint invited me to the classic scope get together at Pinos but I was never home in those days, always off on trips climbing, kayaking or exploring. A bit more settled now. I have a friend in Japan who has helped me locate many rare scopes. Still hoping he finds a Takahashi FC-150. I will ask him about Nishimuras. 

• Steve_M_M and Terra Nova like this

#27 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:33 PM

. Still hoping he finds a Takahashi FC-150. I will ask him about Nishimuras. 

That would be great.  All info is appreciated.

I still talk to Lew and Clint regularly.

• ltha and Terra Nova like this

#28 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:16 PM

I mean what are the chances of one of these scopes popping up local for sale in my area?

Some people just win lotteries..imagine finding 25$ nishimura in a garage sale.

I did pick up these few weeks back-and probably the only nishimura I'll ever own. Scope is too much...

Orthos

• steve t, Kokatha man and Ben Bajorek like this

#29 skywatcher3000

skywatcher3000

Vostok 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 12 June 2021 - 02:08 AM

I knew Chuck Mitchell when he lived in LA back in the late seventies, and I did get to see his Nishimura telescope and mount

at the time!! If memory serves, I believe it was a ten inch Newtonian. But, he had it in pieces, at the time, so I never did get to

look through it. I remember that he was thinking of selling it for a while, but eventually changed his mind. I lost track of him after

that, but I did hear that he was a pilot in the Air Force at Luke AFB in Arizona. And, apparently he retired and moved back to LA

in recent years. I would love to find out what happened to the Nishimura and some other astro equipment he had. If anyone else

knows, maybe they could chime in?!?

• Steve_M_M likes this

#30 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:59 AM

I knew Chuck Mitchell when he lived in LA back in the late seventies, and I did get to see his Nishimura telescope and mount

at the time!! If memory serves, I believe it was a ten inch Newtonian. But, he had it in pieces, at the time, so I never did get to

look through it. I remember that he was thinking of selling it for a while, but eventually changed his mind. I lost track of him after

that, but I did hear that he was a pilot in the Air Force at Luke AFB in Arizona. And, apparently he retired and moved back to LA

in recent years. I would love to find out what happened to the Nishimura and some other astro equipment he had. If anyone else

knows, maybe they could chime in?!?

Have not heard from Chuck in a while.  Hope he is doing OK

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics