•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Considering a Swift Compound Microscope

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:22 AM

Would be interested to see if anyone has any opinions on this set up:

https://www.amazon.c...op?ie=UTF8&th=1

It gets a good review from Oliver Kim of Microbehunter, but that just one take. I like to cast a wider net.

#2 David I

David I

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:55 AM

This looks like a good deal from Amazon

But I'm not familiar with Swift microscopes , B&H may have a 'Swift expert' to answer your questions, they have many to choose from.

https://www.bhphotov....html/overview 

Astronomics has one but it may not suit your needs.  https://www.astronom...screen-lcd.html

David

Edited by David I, 09 June 2021 - 10:56 AM.

• desertstars likes this

#3 David I

David I

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:12 AM

If you need a one time special microscope use with a professional scientific microscope , I would think the Microscope Core Facility in University of Arizona ,Tucson would be able to assist you . Just a thought.

David

• desertstars likes this

#4 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:12 AM

This looks like a good deal from Amazon

But I'm not familiar with Swift microscopes , B&H may have a 'Swift expert' to answer your questions, they have many to choose from.

https://www.bhphotov....html/overview 

Astronomics has one but it may not suit your needs.  https://www.astronom...screen-lcd.html

David

Never occurred to me to check at B&H, and I should have. Thanks!

#5 Montanaman

Montanaman

Mariner 2

• Loc: Montana

Posted 09 June 2021 - 12:27 PM

Greetings:

I would avoid any of the microscope models with "built-in" cameras or video screens.  Astute amateur and professional microscopists avoid them.  They are prone to failure.  Also, stick with binocular viewers for the best viewing experience especially for long viewing sessions.   Just some practical suggestions.

Bill in Montana

• desertstars and David I like this

#6 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:34 PM

Greetings:

I would avoid any of the microscope models with "built-in" cameras or video screens.  Astute amateur and professional microscopists avoid them.  They are prone to failure.  Also, stick with binocular viewers for the best viewing experience especially for long viewing sessions.   Just some practical suggestions.

Bill in Montana

I've received advice against built in imaging from people on a Facebook group. Seems like a pretty solid consensus on that matter. Likewise binocular viewing.

#7 desertstar

desertstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: So. CA. Desert

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:29 PM

Hi,  I have problems with ads like this one. There is no way in **** you can get a sharp 2500X view with this scope.  The"Optical magnification " of the scope is 40,100,400,1000 ( But you have to use oil between the slide coverslip and the 100X objective lens. The 1000X only works well if the the 'subject' is fixed and embedded in the proper slide cement ( all having similar optical characteristic so the image isn't blurred.  I will give them the fact it should work under those conditions , which they do not mention. The way most of the companies can claim 2500X or even more is that they add  the camera /video  size as the extra magnification factor and use that has the last multiplier, which is empty magnification as the camera and video have limited resolution themselves.

I am a moderator on a coin forum and we daily get blurry coin photos from posters that are so blurred the poster thinks he has a coin error worth thousands as they say on Youtube. I also have taught college microbiology for  20+ years. What I would do is  ask at any nearby colleges or a lab tech / purchasing dept. who can tell you who sells andservices their scopes. Those servicers also buy damaged or older scopes and repairs them to like new optically and sells for half or less of new price, but they work great.  Best to you, Jim

• desertstars likes this

#8 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:31 PM

I know enough about optics in general not to be either swayed or put off by such hyperbole. For my purposes, I'd rarely be using 1000x in any case, and  comments elsewhere regarding general optical quality have been favorable. 

#9 desertstar

desertstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: So. CA. Desert

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:47 PM

Thomas, that's good. And I apologize because I was mainly following the thread, but I should have ask what your intent for it, General usage,  illustrations for other  material,  General studies, Interest and fun,  etc. My major usage is for coins and gem mineralogy so most of my work is macro in use. I  am sorry if I appeared 'pushy'  :)  Jim

• desertstars likes this

#10 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:09 PM

Thomas, that's good. And I apologize because I was mainly following the thread, but I should have ask what your intent for it, General usage,  illustrations for other  material,  General studies, Interest and fun,  etc. My major usage is for coins and gem mineralogy so most of my work is macro in use. I  am sorry if I appeared 'pushy'  smile.gif  Jim

No worries. cool.gif

I'm looking at exploring things on a much smaller scale, from parts of plants down to microorganisms. The motivation is pretty much the one I have at the eyepiece of a telescope. This is an aspect of the cosmos I'd like to see for myself.

• BlueMoon and mdowns like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics