•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planetary Imaging with a Monochrome Camera

Planet Astrophotography Celestron SCT
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sandconp

sandconp

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:46 AM

I have been doing planetary imaging for a few years using my ZWO 178MC OSC camera.  I have since bought another planetary camera a ZWO 174 MM Monochrome camera for imaging the Sun which is highly recommended when doing Solar Imaging.  I believe that I add color by using Registax when I do the Wavelet processing.

Last night for the first time, I used my Monochrome Camera to image Jupiter and Saturn and was very happy with the results.  I have heard that it's better to use Monochrome camera's  for the Sun and Planets since the pixels are not wasted so you get better quality.

I am very familiar with using AutoStackert and Registax for Wavelet processing.  My question is I don't have a filter wheel so how do I add color to my image?  Would it be the same as using as Registax for my Solar images or would I use something like Photoshop to add the color?

#2 astroflak88

astroflak88

Messenger

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 09 June 2021 - 12:09 PM

You can simulate it in GIMP (in RGB mode) or with similar software but it won't come out as natural as having a filter wheel and the LRGB filters. Each color filter yields certain features that you can't do with software for each channel.

#3 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 09 June 2021 - 12:21 PM

Moved to Planetary imaging

#4 sandconp

sandconp

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:02 PM

I think my long term goal is to use my monochrome camera and buy some planetary imaging filters to get the best quality images.  One person that mentions this is Christopher Go who is an expert in planetary imaging that monochrome camera with a RGB filters are the way to get the best images.  I still have my ZWO 178MC OSC camera which works fine but I would like to improve my images.

That said, can anybody recommend a good set RGB Filters that would work with my ZWO ASI 174MM camera?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Planet, Astrophotography, Celestron, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics