•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astropixel Processor, super stumped

Astrophotography Beginner DSO Software
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Blackhawk163

Blackhawk163

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:45 PM

Okay I'm terribly at a loss here in regards to extracting dual band data from my subs using l-Extreme filter.

I've done it before with the rosette, but for some darn reason it's not working for a portion of the veil nebula. APP just gives me a green mess if I process it normally. Doesn't do jack if I extract both ha and oIII other than give me monochrome images, or a blank screen that can't be stretched at all. 

What am I doing wrong here? Even a normal image stack (I choose RGB right?) gives me a nearly unusable image (1st pic)

the second pic shows you how all my subs look like.

Attached Thumbnails

• wtf is this.JPG
  • full color.JPG

#2 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:29 AM

That's strange... can you upload a few light frames plus your calibration files? Whenever I get weird results from APP, the first thing I do is click on the "openGL4" button on the top left just to make sure the graphics card isn't doing something strange.

I haven't processed with an l-extreme, but have used an l-enhance filter plenty. Usually the AAD debayer algorithm works ok, but "Ha-OIII color" usually works a bit better. Or you can process them as the mono images and then recombine them into a color image in the tools tab.

#3 fewayne

fewayne

Apollo

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:24 PM

I think I would integrate them as separate channels, then do an RGB combine starting with one of the HOO presets. That would also allow you to do LP correction separately, just in case your gradients weren't identical at those two wavelengths.

[Edited to add: "integrate them as separate channels" is confusing. I would select the option that pulls the monochrome images out as separate integrations.]

Edited by fewayne, 10 June 2021 - 12:26 PM.

#4 Blackhawk163

Blackhawk163

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:30 PM

That's strange... can you upload a few light frames plus your calibration files? Whenever I get weird results from APP, the first thing I do is click on the "openGL4" button on the top left just to make sure the graphics card isn't doing something strange.

I haven't processed with an l-extreme, but have used an l-enhance filter plenty. Usually the AAD debayer algorithm works ok, but "Ha-OIII color" usually works a bit better. Or you can process them as the mono images and then recombine them into a color image in the tools tab.

I'll give the master calibration files and a few subs as soon asi get home, thanks. This has been a 3 day affair. DSS gave me something workable this morning before heading out to work.

#5 fewayne

fewayne

Apollo

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:50 PM

BTW I just had to figure it out for another post. Is this procedure what you meant when you said "extract with ha and oiii"? If going directly to ha+oiii color doesn't work, I'd try extracting them separately and then doing an RGB combine with one of the HOO choices.

• Blackhawk163 likes this

#6 Blackhawk163

Blackhawk163

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2021 - 03:19 PM

BTW I just had to figure it out for another post. Is this procedure what you meant when you said "extract with ha and oiii"? If going directly to ha+oiii color doesn't work, I'd try extracting them separately and then doing an RGB combine with one of the HOO choices.

Yup that's the process I have been doing before. Two mono images and then under tools combine rgb hoo1(2) and nope nothing. Perhaps doing this on the Veil is not a good candidate for this based on its strong oIII signal? 

Almost  home so I can up some subs

#7 Blackhawk163

Blackhawk163

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:00 PM

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...wFiG0A?e=TPqYKo

I decided to upload the whole folder, about 5gb worth of data. Lights are mostly done as are the master calibration files.

Edited by Blackhawk163, 10 June 2021 - 05:02 PM.

#8 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:40 AM

I’ll be away from my workstation until Monday, but if you don’t have it figured out by then I’ll certainly take a look.

#9 Blackhawk163

Blackhawk163

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:27 PM

I’ll be away from my workstation until Monday, but if you don’t have it figured out by then I’ll certainly take a look.

Thanks DD. I had to take a break from it. I was getting a bit too obsessed with it and still getting the same results. You might even call it insane 🙃
  • DubbelDerp likes this

#10 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:39 AM

So I think I figured out the problem, but I'm not sure why it was causing a problem. That would be a good question for Mabula over on the APP forum... Here's the result I got with all the default settings, which looks pretty similar to yours:

Annotation 2021-06-14 092626.jpg

As you mentioned above, the uncalibrated light frames looked just fine, other than the normal issues that are corrected by calibration. However, when I loaded a calibrated light, things got a little strange.

Light frame looks just fine:

Annotation 2021-06-14 092908.jpg

Calibrated light is heavily dominated by red:

Annotation 2021-06-14 092955.jpg

So if you uncheck the "adaptive pedestal/reduce amp glow" setting under the calibration tab, you get this for a calibrated light, which I think looks a lot more balanced:

Annotation 2021-06-14 093201.jpg

And then if you integrate with this one changed setting, you get a result that looks pretty good:

Annotation 2021-06-14 093640.jpg

It's still pretty red, but that's probably just the result of using the filter. You might be able to get a more balanced image if you use the "extract H-a" and "extract OIII" algorithms and then combine as HOO in the "combine RGB" tool, but I think this will get you to a good starting point. Try unchecking that box under "calibrate" and see if it works better for you.

#11 Blackhawk163

Blackhawk163

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 14 June 2021 - 02:48 PM

Thanks DD. Just got home. I'm integrating now under extract ha and oIII with that one setting off. I'll report back 🤞🏽

The over worked photo here is a  DSS stack with some Shop and lightroom. Funny that DSS gave me something to work with.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3774F2B2-5C47-4ED8-BE9E-8E5157E60953.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, DSO, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics