•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 alder1

alder1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Central Vermont, USA

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:21 PM

I was out observing this morning when I noticed that Sky Safari on my iPad was confused. Then I saw that the time was off by four hours: it was showing the sky at 5am rather then 1am. Oddly, the same app on my iPhone worked fine. I can’t figure out how to correct the app on my iPad. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:37 PM

Well, the obvious question would be whether your location was set correctly (under Settings > Location). Plus, you can advance or regress the time to any value you want with the forward and reverse buttons on the date/time panel (under the "Time" control).

• ShaulaB likes this

#3 Medic002

Medic002

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:38 PM

i had that problem before also when i was using wifi between my scope and sky safari6 using the skyfi3 module. I have since then started using cables between everything to my laptop and no more issues.

#4 alder1

alder1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:49 PM

Hmm. It does have my correct location, and when I manually reset the time, it (the time) doesn’t advance. Weird, eh?

#5 Medic002

Medic002

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:55 PM

Hmm. It does have my correct location, and when I manually reset the time, it (the time) doesn’t advance. Weird, eh?

don't know if ur using wifi or not but yeah it did same thing to me when i was using the skyfi wifi. i manually change it and go out the menu and it would go back to the wrong date and time again. try bypassing wifi and see what it does with just cable connections.

#6 alder1

alder1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:46 PM

We don’t actually have WiFi up here in off-the-grid northern Vermont. Just a cell phone and a hot spot. Again, Sky Safari works fine on my iPhone but not my iPad. Although it used to work on both. And the iPad is fine.

#7 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:23 PM

Look at the location setting you are using.  Look at the time zone offset for your location.  Is it correct?

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 alder1

alder1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 04:01 AM

Ah! That did it. Thanks!

#9 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:30 AM

That normally is set automatically so it is not clear how it got 4 hours off.  Anyway, glad it is fixed.

#10 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 June 2021 - 11:17 AM

Is Sky Safari automatically calculating my location’s offset for Daylight Savings Time?
I am in London and can “select location on map” with a pin marker. When I do that, Sky Safari’s settings shows that I am at Standard Time Zone of GMT +0.00 However, we are currently in daylight savings time which makes us at GMT +1.00.
I need to confirm that it is making the proper adjustments cause something is not right.
Perhaps I should tell the app not to “Set time and location” in the Settings? I am using SkiFi with LX200 Classic on my iPhone XR and something wacky is going on.
I would appreciate any advice that someone can give.

Mike

#11 astrokeith

astrokeith

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 20 June 2021 - 11:29 AM

Is Sky Safari automatically calculating my location’s offset for Daylight Savings Time?
I am in London and can “select location on map” with a pin marker. When I do that, Sky Safari’s settings shows that I am at Standard Time Zone of GMT +0.00 However, we are currently in daylight savings time which makes us at GMT +1.00.
I need to confirm that it is making the proper adjustments cause something is not right.
Perhaps I should tell the app not to “Set time and location” in the Settings? I am using SkiFi with LX200 Classic on my iPhone XR and something wacky is going on.
I would appreciate any advice that someone can give.

Mike

In 'Date & Time" settings, you can switch Automatic Daylight Saving Time on or off. (in brackets below the options it states what it thinks it is currently)

I'm using London time and its fine for me.

• LoveChina61 likes this

#12 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 20 June 2021 - 01:33 PM

SkySafari finds the closest city to your location and uses the DST rules for that city.  This works 99% of the time but there is alway the possibility of an error.  That is why you can turn off automatic DST and set your time zone explicitly.

• LoveChina61 likes this

#13 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 June 2021 - 02:28 PM

In 'Date & Time" settings, you can switch Automatic Daylight Saving Time on or off. (in brackets below the options it states what it thinks it is currently)

I'm using London time and its fine for me.

Great! Thanks. Did you select to let the Sky Safari program determine time and date, or did you uncheck that box in the Telescope/Setup section where you can chose the proper telescope type, port number, etc.?

Mike

Edited by LoveChina61, 20 June 2021 - 02:30 PM.

#14 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 20 June 2021 - 03:31 PM

I find it is generally best to let SkySafari send the time and date to the mount if that option is available.  That ensures the two are in sync.

• LoveChina61 likes this

#15 Michael2

Michael2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 21 June 2021 - 06:08 PM

Hi, is the option “Set Time & Location” what you are referring to? I have not been turning that on. Should probably try it.

Michael.

#16 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:31 PM

Yes, that is what we are referring to.  Normally the default for that is ON, but there are a few mount types where that is not true.  I would have to look at the code to see which ones, but I no longer have access to it.

I would try turning it on if it is off.

#17 Michael2

Michael2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:34 AM

Thank you.

Michael.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics