•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Laptop Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nathanwhitsett

nathanwhitsett

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:01 PM

I have an old Dell Win 7 laptop that has 4...yes, four...USB-A ports, which is a dream for me. However, there is not enough memory to install Win 10 upgrade. It is 12 years old. So, yeah, it's time. Besides, I can't run NINA on it which is a program I am interested in exploring.

I want to get a Win 10 laptop but all of the new laptops are using USB-C or Thunderbolt to connect.

Is this a problem? Do I just need to get USB-C cable to hook to my DSLR/ guide camera and mount? So, just replace all my cables with a USB-C connection rather than USB-A and I am good?

#2 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:31 PM

Grab yourself a quality USB Power Hub and you will then only need 1 USB port on your laptop and if needed get an adapter to go from USB-C to USB-A so you can use the Hub..

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:44 PM

My new Acer Nitro-5 15.6" has one USB-C and 3 USB-A ports. Its not the fastest with the Ryzen chip but the one with the 10th Gen 17-10300 and the 1650 Ti 4GB graphics in the $800 range give or take a little. It replaced an old 17" HP that may have been as old as yours, with an 3-core AMD Phenom II chip and Radeon graphics. However its running Win 10 Pro cleanly but slow, maxed out in everything but HD has no SSD yet like the new one. Pretty sure if I can do the upgrade it will be better but still not as fast as the new one.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics