•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Problem with "Anthology of Visual Double Stars" by Argyle, Swan, & James

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mikemarotta

mikemarotta

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:59 PM

Capricorn is missing.

The index has one entry for alpha Capricorni (Algiedi). The citation takes you the close of a discussion about epsilon Lyrae in which the stars are compared along with omega Scorpii and omicron Cygni as available naked eye to the sharp or fortunate observer. Nothing else in Capricorn is in the book.

I photocopied a page out of Sue French's Celestial Sampler and put it into the Anthology where the data and narrative would go.

We are going to have clear skies here (finally!) but the forecasts are favorable only for early morning hours, midnight to sunrise. So, I started planning. Capricorn will be close to the meridian for me. Saturn will be in the constellation and Jupiter will be to the east. Capricorn has several doubles and M31. French says that she used 17X and was successful. So, I am going to go out this weekend and give it a try. But I was surprised and disappointed that Cambridge University Press and the authors let that oversight go to press.

• Fiske likes this

#2 fred1871

fred1871

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:43 AM

The Anthology of Visual Double Stars is intended to be a sampler, not an observing guide that tries to be anywhere near complete. And Capricorn is one of the least of the constellations for doubles - not a lot for its size - I thought Sissy Haas did well to have a dozen or so.

What you do have with the Anthology is more detail than usual on those they have selected, and a rather large bibliography of references for following up on many of the included doubles. For me, that made it worth having as an addition to my other double star books. Each has its own preferences of coverage; and strengths in particular topics and examples, although leaving out other matters. The "book of everything about doubles" would be impossibly large and heavy.

• payner and Adam Long like this

#3 Fiske

Fiske

Gemini

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:55 AM

Ordering the Anthology today. (From Alibris.)

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

Edited by Fiske, 11 June 2021 - 07:57 AM.

• Adam Long likes this

#4 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:58 AM

Capricorn is missing.

The index has one entry for alpha Capricorni (Algiedi). The citation takes you the close of a discussion about epsilon Lyrae in which the stars are compared along with omega Scorpii and omicron Cygni as available naked eye to the sharp or fortunate observer. Nothing else in Capricorn is in the book.

I photocopied a page out of Sue French's Celestial Sampler and put it into the Anthology where the data and narrative would go.

We are going to have clear skies here (finally!) but the forecasts are favorable only for early morning hours, midnight to sunrise. So, I started planning. Capricorn will be close to the meridian for me. Saturn will be in the constellation and Jupiter will be to the east. Capricorn has several doubles and M31. French says that she used 17X and was successful. So, I am going to go out this weekend and give it a try. But I was surprised and disappointed that Cambridge University Press and the authors let that oversight go to press.

Hope you will have clear skies for this.

And just to note, Capricorn has the globular cluster M30, not M31 ;) .

• Fiske likes this

#5 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:04 PM

Ordering the Anthology today. (From Alibris.)

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

You'll be glad you did. Another excellent double/multiple star title from Mr. Argyle.

Randy

• Fiske likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics