•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter, Saturn, Moons, UV, IR, CH4 2021-06-11

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:23 PM

The weather's been absolutely awful of late, and the forecast this morning was for fog, but I know better than to trust fog forecasts... Well the fog rolled in towards the end anyway, so I rushed the last few captures, especially the methane ones, but I actually got to do almost everything I planned. The fan heater blasts to fix dew were going regularly and this time I think I was on top of it - the humidity was above 90% for the entire duration. I used three imaging trains and two cameras this morning, all in the name of fun, and science. I actually managed to get average seeing in spite of this, and a bit above average for the colour capture of Saturn so it was well worth it. The finer inner ring actually came out quite clearly.

First up, I thought I'd try using my powermate 2x with the ASI462, and make the train as short as possible. I managed to get the focal ratio down to 16.3 but that's still oversampling compared to the ~optimal 14.5 for this camera. I was curious to see if the better optics would be worth the compromise in sampling. The answer is "not really". The other compromises I had to make in terms of multiple imaging trains added an awful lot of shuffling of equipment. One thing I did discover, however, was my new spare UV/IR filter - the Optolong, that I bought to be able to do this experiment, lets a lot more low blue in than all the other luminance filters I have, without adding more red. I had to adjust my colour balance yet again, but it had about 7% more blue overall. Andrew you might like this one with the 224 since you can't seem to quite get your blue gain high enough with it. I'm really liking it and it's going to be my new default UV/IR filter.

Next up, I got jealous of seeing Paul post his UV images so I nabbed myself a Venus U Optolong filter and tried to image the giants with it. I had prepared by removing the AR window on my mono 183MM since there is precious little light and sensitivity in the UV region and that filters some more of it out. I suspect it will only work reasonably this way, and I've yet to learn the optimal way to expose them, but I managed to get something. I screwed up on the Saturn and cut it shorter than I meant so it's pretty gritty. Jupiter was only a little better. Fine focusing with it is near impossible, and alas I'd simply screwed it in front of the camera so I couldn't switch to another ~parfocal filter and focus with that first.

Finally I tried some rapid switching with the new Baader T2 quick adapters I ordered. These are awesome. If you need to switch cameras, barlows, whatever, they are super fast, robust, and allow you to rotate as you see fit.  I wasn't too stressed about orientation this time around though since I had so much to do. Now I think I've narrowed down how I'm going to rebuild my imaging train for quick swapping. It would be much easier if I gave up 2 cameras but they all have something different to offer, though I didn't use one at all this morning.

On with the images.

Celestron Deluxe CPC 1100 Edge HD, Tele Vue Powermate x2, Tele Vue Barlow, ZWO EFW, Optolong UV/IR, Optolong Venus U, Astronomik 807 planetpro, ZWO CH4, ZWO ASI462MC, ZWO ASI183MM Pro

Firecapture, WinJupos, Autostakkert, The Gimp.

A 10 minute derotation of Jupiter +50%. Took me 4 goes at derotating to get rid of the limb rind and then I kept getting AP artefacts which I never get, so I combined the non-artefact parts from two stacks.

2021 06 10 1905 2 L Jupiter DeRot P34

Jupiter, Europa, Io, and Callisto

2021 06 10 1949 8 L Jupiter full limit007500 010500 P26 1600w

Jupiter UV
2021 06 10 2028 6 L Jupiter UV limit000100 005500 P33

Jupiter IR 807 long pass
2021 06 10 2047 6 IR807 Jupiter limit001500 004500 P37

Jupiter Methane
2021 06 10 2114 2 CH4 Jupiter limit000000 001000 P33

Saturn +50%
2021 06 10 1927 9 L Saturn surface limit003600 014400 P50 planet

Rhea, Dione, Enceladus, Tethys, and Saturn
2021 06 10 1927 9 L Saturn surface limit003600 014400 P50 full

Saturn UV
2021 06 10 2020 7 UV Saturn P40

Saturn IR807 long pass
2021 06 10 2054 4 IR807 Saturn P50

Saturn methane
2021 06 10 2106 0 CH4 Saturn limit000000 002000 P61

Thanks for viewing, and likes.

Edited by Ittaku, 10 June 2021 - 11:50 PM.

• Sunspot, John Boudreau, CPellier and 13 others like this

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:26 AM

Nice Con, and again, I cannot believe you were out there this morning also. 

Interesting set of images, especially Saturn in CH4. I noted your comment about the Optolong UV/IR filter, is this the one? If so, not only is the blue channel wider, the red channel is also (according to published specs, see image below with ZWO in blue, Optolong in red).

https://www.testar.c...=32260424040535

I really think you need to wait until we get some really good seeing to make comparisons between better optics and sampling. Granted, the weather hasn't cooperated lately, but it should come good in a month or two fingerscrossed.gif .

Attached Thumbnails

• Optolong vs ZWO L filter 2x.jpg

Edited by Tulloch, 11 June 2021 - 01:50 AM.

• Ittaku likes this

#3 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:53 AM

Nice Con, and again, I cannot believe you were out there this morning also. 

Interesting set of images, especially Saturn in CH4. I noted your comment about the Optolong UV/IR filter, is this the one? If so, not only the blue channel wider, the red channel is also (according to published specs, see image below with ZWO in blue, Optolong in red).

https://www.testar.c...=32260424040535

Every darn website has a different graph. I was looking at the optolong website itself and the L filter from their LRGB set, but this is actually the correct graph you have. This is the version from where I bought it, so yes the one at Testar is the same:

ol-uvir-2s.jpg

I confused it with this one (not the one I bought):

27fe738c2ce6a5a69e998d648cc17b60.png

I really think you need to wait until we get some really good seeing to make comparisons between better optics and sampling. Granted, the weather hasn't cooperated lately, but it should come good in a month or two fingerscrossed.gif .

I'll just keep imaging till it is better... You never know, we may get a freak, though I think the early morning simply isn't going to be it.

• Tulloch likes this

#4 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:05 PM

I've been looking at my Saturn data in this image and I think this is the best capture of the C ring I've ever had, which makes the very average seeing of Jupiter even more baffling.

#5 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:19 PM

Lucky seeing? You were looking through a hole in the sky which was available for a short time, and then disappeared? That would be my guess.

Edited by Tulloch, 11 June 2021 - 05:19 PM.

• Ittaku likes this

#6 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:20 PM

Lucky seeing? You were looking through a hole in the sky which was available for a short time, and then disappeared? That would be my guess.

Indeed, it just seems that Saturn has all the luck lately though.

• Tulloch likes this

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:55 PM

I've been looking at my Saturn data in this image and I think this is the best capture of the C ring I've ever had, which makes the very average seeing of Jupiter even more baffling.

Indeed, it just seems that Saturn has all the luck lately though.

Con, I don't think capturing the "C" ring is in itself an indicator of good seeing - possibly reasonable sky transparency - but more often than not it is the processing - something I admit I can be rather slack at accommodating in our own images often...

Applying gamma reduction diminishes the appearance of the Crepe Ring & even the viewing angle on a screen influences it, but it is more often the processing that affects the visibility of which I am often guilty as said.

Without sounding too pessimistic I think it can generally be said that despite good elevation just about everyone in Oz (N or S) is waiting for some decent seeing conditions - desperately! lol.giffingerscrossed.gif fingerscrossed.gif fingerscrossed.gif

• Ittaku likes this

#8 CPellier

CPellier

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 02:30 AM

Nice multispectral set! Saturn in UV is very difficult!

• Ittaku likes this

#9 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2021 - 02:45 AM

Nice multispectral set! Saturn in UV is very difficult!

High praise indeed coming from you, thanks! It was my first time and the capture was cut short on Saturn so I'm hoping for better next time, including better focus since I'll use the filter wheel to focus in L first.

• CPellier likes this

#10 Foc

Foc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 12 June 2021 - 02:55 AM

Well done for persisting and considering our recent conditions, excellent outcomes!

• Ittaku likes this

#11 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:16 AM

Without sounding too pessimistic I think it can generally be said that despite good elevation just about everyone in Oz (N or S) is waiting for some decent seeing conditions - desperately! lol.giffingerscrossed.gif fingerscrossed.gif fingerscrossed.gif

Since I only started doing this late last year, can I ask, is it normal to not have good seeing yet at this time of year?

#12 Tulloch

Tulloch

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:56 PM

Since I only started doing this late last year, can I ask, is it normal to not have good seeing yet at this time of year?

I was looking through my capture sessions from last year (my first full year with the 9.25) and have noticed that I was getting some good seeing in May, but it was quite variable. It wasn't until June - September that the seeing really got good and there was a run there when I rarely got poor seeing.

I did see reports saying that Victoria should expect a warmer, wetter winter this year, which probably means more clouds, higher humidity and more rain. 

Edited by Tulloch, 13 June 2021 - 07:31 PM.

• Ittaku likes this

#13 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 13 June 2021 - 07:21 PM

I was looking through my capture sessions from last year (my first full year with the 9.25) and have noticed that I was getting some good seeing in May, but it was quite variable. It wasn't until June - September that the seeing really got good and there was a run there when I rarely good poor seeing.

I did see reports saying that Victoria should expect a warmer, wetter winter this year, which probably means more clouds, higher humidity and more rain. 

Well, I'm not a Victorian but the last couple of years have been plagued with a lot of clouds for the first half of the year in South Oz, with a bit more rain so far this year, but I'd have to check with the "Weather Girl" aka Pattie :lol: to confirm that...in 2019 we travelled to Natimuk twice for a bit of clear sky around opposition - no covid issues then! (opposition this year 19th August...2019 was 10th June)

• Ittaku likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics