The weather's been absolutely awful of late, and the forecast this morning was for fog, but I know better than to trust fog forecasts... Well the fog rolled in towards the end anyway, so I rushed the last few captures, especially the methane ones, but I actually got to do almost everything I planned. The fan heater blasts to fix dew were going regularly and this time I think I was on top of it - the humidity was above 90% for the entire duration. I used three imaging trains and two cameras this morning, all in the name of fun, and science. I actually managed to get average seeing in spite of this, and a bit above average for the colour capture of Saturn so it was well worth it. The finer inner ring actually came out quite clearly.
First up, I thought I'd try using my powermate 2x with the ASI462, and make the train as short as possible. I managed to get the focal ratio down to 16.3 but that's still oversampling compared to the ~optimal 14.5 for this camera. I was curious to see if the better optics would be worth the compromise in sampling. The answer is "not really". The other compromises I had to make in terms of multiple imaging trains added an awful lot of shuffling of equipment. One thing I did discover, however, was my new spare UV/IR filter - the Optolong, that I bought to be able to do this experiment, lets a lot more low blue in than all the other luminance filters I have, without adding more red. I had to adjust my colour balance yet again, but it had about 7% more blue overall. Andrew you might like this one with the 224 since you can't seem to quite get your blue gain high enough with it. I'm really liking it and it's going to be my new default UV/IR filter.
Next up, I got jealous of seeing Paul post his UV images so I nabbed myself a Venus U Optolong filter and tried to image the giants with it. I had prepared by removing the AR window on my mono 183MM since there is precious little light and sensitivity in the UV region and that filters some more of it out. I suspect it will only work reasonably this way, and I've yet to learn the optimal way to expose them, but I managed to get something. I screwed up on the Saturn and cut it shorter than I meant so it's pretty gritty. Jupiter was only a little better. Fine focusing with it is near impossible, and alas I'd simply screwed it in front of the camera so I couldn't switch to another ~parfocal filter and focus with that first.
Finally I tried some rapid switching with the new Baader T2 quick adapters I ordered. These are awesome. If you need to switch cameras, barlows, whatever, they are super fast, robust, and allow you to rotate as you see fit. I wasn't too stressed about orientation this time around though since I had so much to do. Now I think I've narrowed down how I'm going to rebuild my imaging train for quick swapping. It would be much easier if I gave up 2 cameras but they all have something different to offer, though I didn't use one at all this morning.
On with the images.
Celestron Deluxe CPC 1100 Edge HD, Tele Vue Powermate x2, Tele Vue Barlow, ZWO EFW, Optolong UV/IR, Optolong Venus U, Astronomik 807 planetpro, ZWO CH4, ZWO ASI462MC, ZWO ASI183MM Pro
Firecapture, WinJupos, Autostakkert, The Gimp.
A 10 minute derotation of Jupiter +50%. Took me 4 goes at derotating to get rid of the limb rind and then I kept getting AP artefacts which I never get, so I combined the non-artefact parts from two stacks.
Jupiter, Europa, Io, and Callisto
Thanks for viewing, and likes.
Edited by Ittaku, 10 June 2021 - 11:50 PM.