•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Great Hercules Cluster with a Stellarvue SV80ST2 and ZWO ASI183MM

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:02 AM

Okay, finally a clear night with no moon! I thought last night was going to be clear, but it clouded over less than one minute into my sequence (yes, it was completely clear and with a "good" forecast when I finished my setup, but things went bad almost immediately thereafter).

I'm still working toward my bi-color Pelican Nebula but while waiting for that target to appear above my roof I imaged M13 using a Stellarvue SV80ST2 refractor with a 0.8X reducer and a ZWO ASI183MM Pro camera with Baader RGB filters.

Captured with Sequence Generator Pro and PhD2 (guided with a SVBONY 30mm, f/4 scope and ASI290MM). Image processing with PixInsight and Photoshop CC2021. This shot had minimal processing with no calibration files and is a 50% reduction and crop from the 20 mega pixel original. The total integration time was one hour and twenty-one minutes (just under thirty minutes for each filter).

If I'm lucky (again) then I should be able to double the integration time tomorrow night.

It's interesting to compare this image with one that I took using a 50mm guide scope and an uncooled ASI290MM camera a few weeks ago under a gibbous moon (i.e. not a great night), and with just 30 minutes of total integration time:

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry11130608

C&C Welcomed.

Attached Thumbnails

• The Great Hercules Cluster with SV80ST2 and ASI183MM (small).jpg

Edited by james7ca, 11 June 2021 - 07:08 AM.

• elmiko, chrysalis, happylimpet and 10 others like this

#2 Enance42

Enance42

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alton Il.

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:28 PM

The picture taken with the 290mm looks pretty good considering the short integration time. The 183mm is much better though im my opinion. I am impressed how it looks even with no calibration files. I had the 183mm arrive on my doorstep this morning. I am jumping from DSLR to mono and this gives me hope. Thank you.

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:56 PM

The biggest change in the results comes from the difference in the scopes. That shot done with the ASI290 used a simple finder/guider scope (50mm, f/4 achromat). In fact, the ASI290MM camera was two times the cost of the scope that was used to make the image. The 50mm, f/4 finder was just $145 in cost (new) and that included the 1X Crayford focuser (which is just barely adequate for imaging).

As for the ASI183MM image, I had to crop out the amp glow (since I didn't use any calibration files). Full frame (with the amp glow) and I would have definitely needed darks. Plus, the SV80ST2 setup was over ten times the cost of the 50mm finder.

Edited by james7ca, 12 June 2021 - 06:06 AM.

#4 Enance42

Enance42

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alton Il.

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:40 AM

The scope definitily makes a difference. I will have mine on a Redcat51 for the time being. I have read that the amp glow calibrates out easily if you know what your doing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics