•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

tell me the differences between FC100DZ, TS 115 TRIPLET, TS 125 DOUBLET LANT for visual use

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fedele

fedele

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:18 AM

hi

have any of you ever compared them directly?
What are the differences in the purely visual planetary use?  which guarantees the "wau" or "Ok" effect? the quality of the little one? the diameter of the large?
thank you

#2 JeremySh

JeremySh

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:44 AM

The main difference is that with the two TS scopes, you’ll always be wondering how good the Tak would be smile.gif

• RogerLaureys, rerun, russell23 and 7 others like this

#3 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:38 AM

The Tak will be essentially perfect.  Every review I've seen of the FC100DZ suggests it's the perfect 4" scope for visual.  Very fast cooldown as a doublet, but the color correction of a refined triplet.  Lightweight.  Easy on the mount.  A bottomless pit of magnification if the night is steady.  But it will cost you.  A LOT.

The TS 115 triplet and the 125mm doublet, IMO, will work just fine for 99% of visual observers.  Any amount of false color in these would be vanishingly small.  They would, IMO, be the better value.  Aperture simply matters, and the 15mm or 25mm bump up from the 100mm of the Tak would be noticeable on all deep-sky objects.

The Tak would have the higher-quality image.  The others would let in more light and would probably put up a fine-quality image.

It's a matter of personal preference; not really a right or wrong answer.  I do know this--if you look through a Tak and have money to burn...

...consider that money already burnt.

Clear Skies,

Phil

• RogerLaureys, JeremySh, teashea and 1 other like this

#4 fedele

fedele

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:05 AM

The main difference is that with the two TS scopes, you’ll always be wondering how good the Tak would be smile.gif

hahaha

terrible

• JeremySh likes this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:10 AM

The TS 115 triplet and the 125mm doublet, IMO, will work just fine for 99% of visual observers.  Any amount of false color in these would be vanishingly small.  They would, IMO, be the better value.  Aperture simply matters, and the 15mm or 25mm bump up from the 100mm of the Tak would be noticeable on all deep-sky objects.

Aperture matters viewing the planet's, it matters viewing double stars.

Jon

• beanerds, NC Startrekker and fedele like this

#6 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:22 PM

hi

What are the differences in the purely visual planetary use?  which guarantees the "wau" or "Ok" effect? the quality of the little one? the diameter of the large?
thank you

I've not compared those scopes, but I did have a Tak TSA-102 and also used FS-102 and Lzos 100mm.

I did Compare those scopes side by side with bigger aperture refractors of lesser optical quality. The net

result was that I found the larger scopes better for planetary viewing. They allowed more magnification

and resolved more detail.  

• Lookitup and fedele like this

#7 Lookitup

Lookitup

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:56 PM

Comparing the Tak DF and SW120 with binoviewers on planets I do prefer the SW120. The Tak cools faster and is a little sharper; better for quick deployment. Observed Jupiter several times this week with excellent results in both. Saw the not so "red" spot in details but not the ovals. The SW needs better sky condition to really show more details then the Tak in my setup. If weight and cooling is no issue my recommendation would be the TS 125. CS Pete

Edited by Lookitup, 11 June 2021 - 02:44 PM.

• lwbehney, Space_Race_T.J. and fedele like this

#8 dweller25

dweller25

Vanguard

• Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:37 AM

hi

thank you

Of the three scopes you mention the best would be the…….

Takahashi TSA120 waytogo.gif

Or wait for the FC125DZ fluorite doublet lol.gif

Edited by dweller25, 14 June 2021 - 06:41 AM.

• RogerLaureys, Lookitup, JeremySh and 2 others like this

#9 Faber

Faber

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:13 PM

We’re all waiting the FC125DZ!
  • Lookitup and fedele like this

#10 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:35 PM

You have sort of answered your question by asking if anyone has compared them directly as that will be the only way you'll get an answer that is not based on conjecture.  But this is CN...

While the discussion may be entertaining, the signal to noise will be out of whack as I doubt anyone has compared all three at the same time.   

As someone said above, your best bet may be the TAK TS120.  I have one and I absolutely love it.  It takes the place of all of the refractors you mentioned.

• John Huntley, ullomat, Steve Allison and 3 others like this

#11 fedele

fedele

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:16 AM

My main field of application is about to become the Sun. As far as planets are concerned, I like to have non-microscopic discs, even if they are very sharp. I want to see. So a good image scale is important.

#12 dweller25

dweller25

Vanguard

• Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:49 AM

My main field of application is about to become the Sun. As far as planets are concerned, I like to have non-microscopic discs, even if they are very sharp. I want to see. So a good image scale is important.

A Barlow may help ?

#13 fedele

fedele

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:17 AM

fingertap.gif fingertap.gif fingertap.gif

#14 Reid W

Reid W

Apollo

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 01:56 PM

Based on the white light solar images you are getting with your Mewlon 180... instead of acquiring a refractor for h.a. solar, get the gear for h.a. solar for your mewlon?

http://daystarfilters.com/SCT.shtml

#15 reglogge

reglogge

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 04:05 PM

Ed Ting did a comparison of the AT115 which seems to be basically the same scope as the TS115 with his TAK FS102 here: https://youtu.be/sE18PBQRzDQ (starts at around 9 minutes into the video). Maybe that helps?

• JeremySh and teashea like this

#16 teashea

teashea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:27 PM

Ed Ting did a comparison of the AT115 which seems to be basically the same scope as the TS115 with his TAK FS102 here: https://youtu.be/sE18PBQRzDQ (starts at around 9 minutes into the video). Maybe that helps?

As usual, a nice review by Ed.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics