•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tak FS-128 + EM-11

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 grisnir

grisnir

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:49 AM

Hey!

I'm looking for a tripod and German equatorial mount to go along with my Tak FS128. Would be nice if it were Takahashi products too.

I wonder if Tak wooden tripod and EM-11 mount would do the trick. I have some reservations though.

Max loading capacity of EM-11 is 9 kg, according to Takahashi official site. Tak FS128 itself weights 7,5 kg + binoviewers + Tak clamshell + Tak 11x70 finderscope = near or over the limit. Is it going to affect the funcionality of EM-11?

Another thing is that according to Takahashi official site in USA, it's "designed for use in latitudes between 20 and 50 degrees". I live at 59 degrees north. Once again, is it going to affect the funcionality of EM-11?  

Would it be a significant difference if I went for EM-200 (which is obviously more expensive)? EM-200 HL is supposed to go well along with higher latitudes, so that's a plus. 

Are there any other smart options out there? 

Thank you

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:49 PM

Disclaimer: I don't have any first hand experience with Takahashi mounts.  That said,

The EM10 and EM-11 mounts are pretty small, and an FS-128 is a pretty large scope.  It seems like the EM-11 wouldn't be enough mount to hold that scope steady.  If you want to stay within the Takahashi family, then I think the EM-200 is a better choice.  If you are very careful about balancing, I'm sure the EM-11 would hold an FS-128, but I'll also bet the scope would shake a lot while you're trying to focus, or if the wind so much as "breathes" on your scope.  I think it would be frustrating.

Now, if you want to send your FS-128 to me and look for an FS-102...

Good luck with your mount search.

• blakestree likes this

#3 teashea

teashea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:30 PM

Hey!

I'm looking for a tripod and German equatorial mount to go along with my Tak FS128. Would be nice if it were Takahashi products too.

I wonder if Tak wooden tripod and EM-11 mount would do the trick. I have some reservations though.

Max loading capacity of EM-11 is 9 kg, according to Takahashi official site. Tak FS128 itself weights 7,5 kg + binoviewers + Tak clamshell + Tak 11x70 finderscope = near or over the limit. Is it going to affect the funcionality of EM-11?

Another thing is that according to Takahashi official site in USA, it's "designed for use in latitudes between 20 and 50 degrees". I live at 59 degrees north. Once again, is it going to affect the funcionality of EM-11?  

Would it be a significant difference if I went for EM-200 (which is obviously more expensive)? EM-200 HL is supposed to go well along with higher latitudes, so that's a plus. 

Are there any other smart options out there? 

Thank you

Do not degrade your telescope by undermounting it.  It makes a difference.

#4 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 12 June 2021 - 08:06 AM

Hello,

I have the FS-128 and have mounted it to an EM-2, EM-10, EM 200 and NJP.   The EM-10 does handle the FS-128 for visual and is more stable on the SE-L solid tripod than the adjustable FC-L tripod.  I'm not sure how the EM-11 Temma system will fair in terms of accuracy as my EM-10 is an older stepper system.

IMO you will be much better served with the EM-200 and an SE-L tripod.  

Regards

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 12 June 2021 - 08:48 AM

I don't have an FS-128, but I have an EM-11 and an AP130.  Granted, the AP130 is 2lb heavier than the FS-128 (18lb vs 16lb).  I would definitely not put the AP130 on the EM-11, even for visual.

When I had an Orion 100ED f/9 (similar form factor to an FS-102) it was OK but not great on a Vixen GP, which is quite comparable to an EM-11. I no longer have that scope, but I think it would be OK to good on the EM-11 for visual.

This EM-11 review indicates that it is great for visual (but not astrophotography) with a TSA-102 - https://www.wlcastle...sa102/index.htm

which tallies with my experience.

#6 elstargazer12

elstargazer12

Explorer 1

Posted 12 June 2021 - 08:46 PM

I’ve have the AP GTX (24 lbs with rings and everything) on an EM 10 with the adjustable Tak tripod and a Berlebach Planet. The AP is heavier and shorter than the 128, so maybe they’re similar in stability.

I would say with the tak tripod it’s “passable” for visual. And with the Planet it’s “plenty good” for visual. The difference is pretty stark. Damping with the Planet is about a second. Either way, I wouldn’t recommend it for deep sky photography.

Good luck choosing and enjoy the Tak!

Roger

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics