•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet Imaging and GRS Tomorrow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas Area, Texas

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:32 AM

If all goes right and the clouds stay away, I'll have my first shot at imaging the GRS tomorrow morning and as luck would have it comet Winnecke will be right below Jupiter as well.

I plan to shoot jupiter with the GRS and Ganymede transiting first, and then grab a widefield shot of Jupiter and the comet together.

Anything I should know about imaging comets?  I assume sidereal rate is adequate for imaging these things?

#2 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Skylab

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:38 PM

Fortunately (well, perhaps not for him) Jean Louis has been dead for quite some time, so he won't be aware how badly you're bastardizing the name of his comet ....

We're assuming you're referring to 7P/Pons-Winnecke.

As long as you're using short enough exposures (say, 30s), sidereal rate is adequate.  It's usually best to either track at the comet's relative rate (if your mount allows) or guide on the comet nucleus itself, if you're doing much longer exposures. Then align and stack the resulting subs on the nucleus.  Even humble DSS will let you do this.

Edit:  I just re-read and noticed your "widefield" comment.  I really don't think you'll get much satisfaction from a widefield which includes mag -2 Jupiter and a mag +10 comet which is largely nuclear in appearance.

Edited by RedLionNJ, 11 June 2021 - 12:40 PM.

#3 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 04:14 PM

That’s funny. Yes that’s what I was referring to. I guess if it’s just the nucleus I probably won’t bother. It looked large and in charge on my planetarium app. I appreciate the heads up. I’ll just focus on Jupiter in the morning!

Edited by matt_astro_tx, 11 June 2021 - 04:15 PM.

#4 Aquat0ne

Aquat0ne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:47 AM

How did you go? Keen to see if you can see the comet in your photos?

#5 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2021 - 04:19 PM

I didn’t even try for the comet. I post my results in another thread “So close - part deaux”. But here they are as well. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 75EFFD62-608C-4B8E-AB49-07C3B20E05AF.jpeg

• RedLionNJ and Aquat0ne like this

#6 Aquat0ne

Aquat0ne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 05:48 PM

Looks good. The zones and belts of Jupiter are clearly defined. Nice one.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics