•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

qhy8L IR window scratched. any way to change it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sniuk

Sniuk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Barcelona, Catalonia

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:02 AM

Hi, 

the IR window of my qhy8l  has scratches, one quite big... as you can see in the picture below. Also attached a flat frame

the scratch "shadow" is pretty big.. 

I've contacted qhy and they asked around 100€ (including shipping ) for sending the window (not just the glass...but the whole thing) 

So I am looking for alternatives and wondering if someone has replaced it succesfully with a filter of other brand (and perhaps better...

at least in the sense of durability) 

I usually image from home (bortle 7) and use Optolong L-pro, but with good weather coming, wanted to go to a darker site some times and

thus will remove the L-pro. Question is.. how much will affect to the overall image? Right now, even though the L-pro I assume it also cuts 

the IR , the effect I see is on bright stars specially, even using flats. (like the example below, a crop from running man nebula ) 

Thanks in advance, 

clear skies! 

Attached Thumbnails

• Scratch.jpg
  • Scratch- Flat.jpg
  • thumbnail_Catch.jpg

#2 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:55 AM

I'm not sure about a window that has better durability but what is going on that is creating such large scratches in the first place?

• Sniuk likes this

#3 Sniuk

Sniuk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:03 PM

I'm not sure about a window that has better durability but what is going on that is creating such large scratches in the first place?

Actually, no idea...  I had the small circular ones already (bought this second hand a while back )  but around...a month ago or so ? I unscrewed the camera from the T2 extender, and then I've put it back... I don't recall bumping into it, but it would be the only explanation. Even though the window-glass itself is "deep"into the nose piece ...It is weird it got scratch when I didn't even "feel" it.. I saw later in the subs, before doing the flats.. 

but besides the durability,  did you change any glass from a QHY camera? or another one for that matter. I m not sure if it is glued or what. 

Edited by Sniuk, 11 June 2021 - 12:04 PM.

#4 Tayson82

Tayson82

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Poland / Wolomin

Posted 16 June 2021 - 06:58 AM

You can remove blocken glass ang put someware Baader 2" ir/uv blocking filter.

The question is what about the humidity during cooling camera when You remove glass.....

Edited by Tayson82, 16 June 2021 - 06:59 AM.

• Sniuk likes this

#5 Sniuk

Sniuk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 08:56 AM

You can remove blocken glass ang put someware Baader 2" ir/uv blocking filter.

The question is what about the humidity during cooling camera when You remove glass.....

Thanks for your answer

Qhy mentioned to break the glass and glue another one 

Fom his email, apparently glass is 

IR680+AR40*3.0.  

The diameter is 40mm.

So will get a 2" one take off the ring and try to glue. I guess. 

Although 2" is bigger than 40mm but since it goes glued insise, guess could be fine.

This way the humidity problem you mentioned should occur if I finally do it successfully, will post pics here 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics