•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question regarding scope

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WThesing

WThesing

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mid Atlantic USA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:30 AM

Hi everyone!

The other night afforded what has lately been one of those few clear nights. I did an almost "all nighter", sitting by my scope, enjoying the stillness, and pulling in quite a few DSO's. When getting ready to wind down (about 4 AM), I shifted from DSO's and attempted Saturn and Jupiter, since they were in fairly good positions.

I was using my Celestron Omni 150 XLT Newt @f5, Asi 385, and AsiAir Pro. I had not used this on any planets yet, strictly deep Sky, and some images of the sun a few weeks back. I worked my way down in gain and exposure length to get a "feel" for the targets. I finally got to .001 sec, and gain of 1, with Saturn still being overexposed. Shape was outlined, but zero detail. My feeling is that this may be too fast of a scope for planetary imaging. I also have an 8" SCT @ f10, which hasn't been used much since I got the 385, and Air Pro last fall. I do have a Night Owl  focal reducer on order for it, but haven't set it up for EAA just yet. So far, I've been very happy with my EAA experiences, and just wanted to check with those having done this longer than myself. 

#2 GazingOli

GazingOli

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:51 AM

for planetary imaging the SC is a very good choice. use it at f/10 with the ASI385. however planetary imaging is not a matter of live stacking but shooting videos and postprocess the frames afterwards. live stacking will not work because the exposure times are way too short to process it live. the matter was discussed for several times in this forum.

CS.Oli

#3 WThesing

WThesing

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:05 AM

I was intended on shooting some video as a wind up for the night. I was stepping down the exposures in order to get a "feel", and doing one image at a time in the "preview" screen of AsiAir Pro app. I thought of using a Barlow to step it down further, but was just out of reach with camera cable unless some adjustment was made, so I called it a night. Cable was re routed for future, but just wanted to verify if f5 was indeed too fast. I will be setting up my SCT for quick change on my cable management that will mimic what I have for my Newt. That way, I can switch OTA's with minimal effort. Thanks for your input!

#4 bips3453

bips3453

Mariner 2

• Loc: MN

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:20 AM

Major & Minor Planetary Imaging forum would be a good place to discuss planetary imaging... 

#5 WThesing

WThesing

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:46 AM

Thanks!

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:02 AM

Major & Minor Planetary Imaging forum would be a good place to discuss planetary imaging... 

Yes, the post-processing to extract detail  from such videos  is beyond the scope of the EAA Forum.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics