•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I could use some help…

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:48 PM

There is a "Wow Factor" to a quality zoom eyepiece that many enjoy, especially young astronomers. Lunar views have that coming in for a landing feel. Watching double stars actually split is enjoyable too. Then there are nights when using just one eyepiece is very relaxing. The Baader Mark lV 8-24 zoom is a good quality option. It could be a nice addition to his eyepiece collection. Best of luck to you! waytogo.gif

• eblanken likes this

#27 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Messenger

• Loc: Lowcountry

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:24 AM

There is a "Wow Factor" to a quality zoom eyepiece that many enjoy, especially young astronomers. Lunar views have that coming in for a landing feel. Watching double stars actually split is enjoyable too. Then there are nights when using just one eyepiece is very relaxing. The Baader Mark lV 8-24 zoom is a good quality option. It could be a nice addition to his eyepiece collection. Best of luck to you! waytogo.gif

They clearly have some budget. Why not go for the Leica ASPH? It’s parfocal throughout its range so you’ll actually be able to see doubles split in real time, rather than zooming, then refocusing, then zooming again, then refocusing again with the Baader.

That said… I would hate to see all those Morpheus eyepieces lay unused due to the Leica… Their range is so well-covered, a zoom just seems excessive in this case.

#28 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:26 AM

They clearly have some budget. Why not go for the Leica ASPH? It’s parfocal throughout its range so you’ll actually be able to see doubles split in real time, rather than zooming, then refocusing, then zooming again, then refocusing again with the Baader.

That said… I would hate to see all those Morpheus eyepieces lay unused due to the Leica… Their range is so well-covered, a zoom just seems excessive in this case.

Very good point ... "If it ain't broke , don't fix it " again . 

#29 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Messenger

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:35 AM

The ultimate “if it ain’t broke” fix could be to sell off all the Morphs, the 9 Nagler, and the 5.5 UWA. Then use the funds to cover most of a Leica, APM adapter, VIP Barlow, and a used Paracorr 1. That would be the lap of luxury right there.

Heck if you snagged the Leica used, you might even be able to squeeze in a deposit on an Ed Jones EQ platform!

Now, that’s a lot of fix for not much problem. I’m just spitballing here.

Edited by thecelloronin, 14 June 2021 - 09:42 AM.

#30 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Messenger

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:54 AM

Seriously? This kid goes out every night he physically can go out. He’s not into sports, he has perfect grades, and he loves doing it. I’m going to support him 1,000,000% in this endeavor. My neighbors actually turn their outdoor lights out at 9pm because they know he’ll be out there.

I know parents that have kids in sports that spend thousands annually without even a hesitation. He’s not into sports, and I’m ok with that.

I didn’t have a pot to **** in growing up. My biological father left when I was born. My adoptive father wasn’t much more than my biological father, so excuse me if I want to give him something more than I had. My wife and I work crazy hours to provide for our three kids. She had no parents as well.

He likes astronomy. That’s it. He could ace a collegiate level astronomy course, and he’s fifteen. Would you rather have me ignore him and let him muddle through life with zero guidance? I’ve l’m a product of that, and it took 46 years to figure things out.

I asked for help, and many provided just that. He will get the tools he needs to be successful in this, and I’m going to help him with that. This also provides an opportunity for me to bond with him(either collminating his scope, or looking at eyepieces, or talking about the Cigar galaxy ad nauseum). Either way, I’m committed to helping him with this, because why not?

This hit close to home for me, so I wanted to respond. My parents were also largely unavailable and I grew up quite poor. While I don’t have kids, I feel that I will have a similar stance to you in wanting to provide what I didn’t have especially if they’re all in on a hobby like astronomy.

Be careful though… I’d say with this kit you’ve long passed the point of needing to worry about him “muddling through life with zero guidance”, at least with respect to astronomy. You’re doing a great job fostering his interest, and buying more gear won’t necessarily make that more true. I would have killed to have a fraction of that support growing up.

Maybe once you get a coma corrector, good collimation tools, and some binoculars (I’ll add a good green laser pointer to the list), you could start putting the money towards a weeklong trip to a Bortle 1. That would be one incredible experience for you both!

• Stef likes this

#31 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:59 AM

I took BlueMoon’s initial response a little too defensively, and I apologize for that. In hindsight, I understand the point he was trying to make. This process is about time and understanding how to use the tools that you have available, and growing with that.

Astronomy is not my strength…I’ll admit that. That’s why I’m here. I don’t have 40+ years of experience to guide him in this journey. I likely have him home for three more years. We started late, but I plan on making the most of our time that we have available. I’m doing the best I can to make this work. You can’t fault me for that. I’m not asking for advice to buy him every obscure eyepiece to make him an elitist astronomer. I’m asking for the next logical step, and if I knew the answer to that question I wouldn’t ask it.

Again, thank you all for the advice. We(both him and I) discussed the direction we should go based on the input of this group.

Michael:

You are fortunate to have a son so excited, so interested in observing.  And he's fortunate to have a father so supportive and appreciative.  You two have a lot to look forward to, together. And he's starting at an ideal time, he has his wonderful young eyes and yet he's mature enough to handle the equipment and understand the equipment.

Some thoughts:

- He has a very good set of eyepieces. Add a good 2x Barlow and he'll be set for a long time.

- At F/4.7, a Paracorr would be a nice addition.

- Collimation tools. If you buy a laser, buy a good one.. my 1.25 inch Howie Flatter is over 20 years old, my 2 inch Howie is 14 years old..both are going strong..

- Adjustable observing chair.. I consider my Starbound chair the most important accessory I own, it's the only one I use every night?

Jon

• rkelley8493, f18dad and thecelloronin like this

#32 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Messenger

Posted 14 June 2021 - 10:03 AM

+1 for Starbound chairs. Couldn’t imagine dobbing without it!

• Jon Isaacs and f18dad like this

#33 Michaelhazuka

Michaelhazuka

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 14 June 2021 - 07:19 PM

you could start putting the money towards a weeklong trip to a Bortle 1. That would be one incredible experience for you both!

We have a planned trip to an international dark sky park that’s only 80 minutes from our house this July. We are both very excited and we hope the weather helps us out. We are close enough that when a good night is near the weekend we can pack up and just go. I believe it’s rated a Bortle 2. Camp sites are available, but they book fast starting six months in advance. I know a family that owns a cottage down the road from the park that would be another option

https://www.darksky..../parks/newport/
  • thecelloronin likes this

#34 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Messenger

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:27 PM

That is awesome!

#35 whizbang

whizbang

Apollo

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:56 PM

You might consider some low power, wide field glass:

41mm Panoptic or an Explore Scientific 40mm 68 degree.

#36 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:36 AM

How about a 4.5mm Tele Vue Delos?

#37 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:08 AM

I think a good Barlow or powermate will be a very useful kit for planetary nebulae / double stars , moon in very good seeing etc.

#38 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:51 AM

I have been purchasing eyepieces for my 15 year old son. He has a dobsonian with a focal length of 1200mm at f/4.7. He uses his telescope almost daily.

He has the following eyepieces:
APM UFF 30
TeleVue Nagler 22T4
Baader Morpheus 17.5
Baader Morpheus 12.5
Baader Morpheus 9****
TeleVue Nagler 9T6****
Baader Morpheus 6.5
Meade UWA 5.5

I realize he has duplicate magnification at 9mm, but we are waiting on shipment of the BM 9 due to supply constraints. We are given a tentative shipping date at the end of July, and we have a dark sky outing planned before that time frame. I will likely sell the 9T6 unless it provides something substantially different than the BM 9. He does seem to like the Morpheus line with the expansive eye relief. He can view without glasses, but occasionally will wear them.

He does not have a Parracor(yet). He also doesn’t Barlow anything(yet). He does have a fairly cheap Barlow that he initially used with his first set of Plossls. He never uses the Plossls anymore.

What’s the next direction in terms of a purchase that will benefit him? He doesn’t give much for feedback other than he loves what he has. I’d like to keep him interested since he’s doing great and loves it.

Any guidance from here?

Thank you for all the help to date…

Mike

Sell the 9mm Nagler and buy a Paracorr 2.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics