•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Observatory Wish List

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 hmaron

hmaron

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 05:51 PM

5. Warm room is probably unnecessary - use this space for scopes/second pier (unless you have a massive structure).

Very necessary in New England winters!coldday.gif

Michael

The entire BunkHouse is technically the warm room. As for the second pier?.....would be nice but, ain't gonna happen! This is a massive system.

#27 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 16 June 2021 - 12:20 AM

Fancy guy with his Gulf Stream lol.gif

I have sat outside at -20°C typing on my laptop.  I prefer sitting in my warm room with a wine glass in one hand and typing with the other wink.gif

:)

I guess my thinking is that if you have your remote set up working properly, you can just run it from your house. This makes all that warm room space available for the observatory. I think most/many observatory owners probably wish they had made it just a little bit larger

#28 hmaron

hmaron

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 12:04 PM

smile.gif

I guess my thinking is that if you have your remote set up working properly, you can just run it from your house. This makes all that warm room space available for the observatory. I think most/many observatory owners probably wish they had made it just a little bit larger

I would bet you are right. I imagine size turns out to be the biggest regret. Certainly in a remote observatory (by remote here I mean "separate from the living facility"...as in backyard observatory),  I would most assuredly consider a second pier.  This is definitely true in a roll off roof type observatory.

Edited by hmaron, 16 June 2021 - 12:13 PM.

#29 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 16 June 2021 - 05:03 PM

Fancy guy with his Gulf Stream lol.gif

I have sat outside at -20°C typing on my laptop.  I prefer sitting in my warm room with a wine glass in one hand and typing with the other wink.gif

Yup!

#30 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 16 June 2021 - 05:13 PM

I would bet you are right. I imagine size turns out to be the biggest regret. Certainly in a remote observatory (by remote here I mean "separate from the living facility"...as in backyard observatory),  I would most assuredly consider a second pier.  This is definitely true in a roll off roof type observatory.

I have 3 piers installed in my 8x16ft RoR which I control remotely from the house (50ft away via Chrome Remote Desktop (CRD). With CRD, if have have a PC for control at the mount, then you can run that setup remotely from any other networked PC .  

As long as I use short tube OTAs (C14 or smaller) the RoR is fine for room - it's amazing how little room you need when you don't have a person in the observatory.

#31 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 18 June 2021 - 03:12 PM

Another idea worth mentioning.

I had an 8" steel pier custom made for my setup.  I have four 1/4-20 holes tapped into the south side spaced at roughly equal distances.  I use these for attaching trays and electronics to the pier. 

Trays OkKsM95.jpg

#32 VinceV

VinceV

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern PA

Posted 03 July 2021 - 10:04 PM

Many intereesting coments with very good advice.

My thoughts are more on the simple end:

I don't bring food into the 3rd level observatory or in the 2nd level control room (primarily water of coffee) - no reason the give insects or rodents a reason.

You refer to grandkids, so I'm assuming various heights. I'll keep a small 3-step ladder (with wide steps and a higher bar to hold onto) so that smaller people can look through an eyepiece.

Speaking of eyepieces, you may want to consider less expensive 2" as kids will touch these (hands, cheeks, foreheads, etc).

Your observatory size will allow multiple people at a time, so you may want to consider a few folding chairs for those kids waiting their turn to look.

I keep an older house vacuum on the 2nd level for cleaning the observatory, steps between floors 2 & 3 and the control room.

Finally, most of these items are stored outside of the observatory as I'm the only one using the room >90% of the time.

We all love to share our hobby and it's always nice to make it fun & educational, so older books and charts are good to keep nearby as well.

Stay safe and clear skies.

#33 hmaron

hmaron

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2021 - 10:55 AM

I don't bring food into the 3rd level observatory or in the 2nd level control room (primarily water of coffee) - no reason the give insects or rodents a reason.

You refer to grandkids, so I'm assuming various heights. I'll keep a small 3-step ladder (with wide steps and a higher bar to hold onto) so that smaller people can look through an eyepiece.

Speaking of eyepieces, you may want to consider less expensive 2" as kids will touch these (hands, cheeks, foreheads, etc).

Your observatory size will allow multiple people at a time, so you may want to consider a few folding chairs for those kids waiting their turn to look.

I keep an older house vacuum on the 2nd level for cleaning the observatory, steps between floors 2 & 3 and the control room.

Finally, most of these items are stored outside of the observatory as I'm the only one using the room >90% of the time.

We all love to share our hobby and it's always nice to make it fun & educational, so older books and charts are good to keep nearby as well.

As a constant eater you just gave me a reason to not eat in the dome....including the kiddos.  I will love the no food policy there. Also the step ladder is now on the list of must haves.  Not only for that reason. Even though I essentially have no pier it's still tough to do work on the top of this scope. I did a lot of visual astronomy in years past so I have tons of 2" "easy" to see" eyepieces for the little ones to enjoy.   Thanks.

#34 DavidTrap

DavidTrap

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 August 2021 - 06:13 AM

Over the years I have built several observatories ranging from roll-off to dome observatories.  I hope I have my final observatory after a long journey of discovery.  All of the excellent advice is spot on.  I can only few additional considerations:

• Power to the observatory and plenty of it (I have 60 Amps) - for dome operations, equipment, AC, etc - I would also add plenty of electrical outlets and good UPS for protection and loss of power
  • Observatory control - get the best you can afford.. I have Astrometic Systems - costly but reliable and highly capable
  • High-speed internet - 10 Gbit fiber for remote operations
  • a rock solid pier - lots of information here on CN
  • camera’s for remote operation - on/off IR
  • storage shelves and cabinets for equipment storage

Hopes this helps

Jason

Why do you recommend 10Gb fibre internet for remote operation?

I manage a school observatory on a cellular link running at 2-4mbps uplink.

DT

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics