•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium 0.21 problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ah.clem

ah.clem

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:24 PM

I've used Stellarium for years. I'm running it on a 64 bit version of Windows Enterprise edition, 32G RAM, 30G free disk space, i7.

When I started it a few days ago, I was prompted to install the newest version; I usually don't until I know all the bugs are worked out. I did D/L and install 0.20 and it worked fine. Today, it won't start and displays an error message "Insufficient OpenGL Version...". I've uninstalled and reinstalled all the way back to version 0.17 and the error persists. I've made certain that the Stellarium folder is gone and rebooted between reinstalls. Anyone have ideas? Thanks.

#2 bips3453

bips3453

Mariner 2

• Loc: MN

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:03 PM

Try running Stellarium or Stellarium Direct 3D from start menu.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2021-06-11 183730.png

#3 Lasko

Lasko

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:29 PM

Stellarium stores settings and other things in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Stellarium

There is a log.txt file there that should record the video and OpenGL information and might give you some help figuring out what it doesn't like.

#4 ah.clem

ah.clem

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:38 PM

Thanks, but no joy. 1. it errors out no matter how I start it and, 2. the logfile (thanks for that tip, I did a headslap as I should have thought of it) just shows the version of OpenGLsw32.dll that I am running, the version it is looking for (same same) and the error message re: the dll file proceeded with an "Oops".

I ran the registry hive to delete any instances of "Stellarium" (a lot more than I expected as I did not think it set any keys; there were a few that it could not clear, but they are not keys that should be troublesome.)

As a last ditch effort, I downloaded a new copy of OpenGLsw32.dll and replaced the one installed by the Stellarium setup but it had no impact on the problem. I already have almost 6 hours into this today and I'm pretty much ready to stop. I must say that I think it's a great piece of software and I am quite disappointed that I haven't come up with a solution to this problem. I will pass the logfile and my experience on to the devs, but having been one myself before I retired, I'm not sure what response I will get.

I suppose that it's possible that it's not checking the dll from the Stellarium directory but the version in the system folder... man, even in retirement I just can't let bugs go. That would really be too weird.

Edited by ah.clem, 11 June 2021 - 09:39 PM.

#5 bips3453

bips3453

Mariner 2

• Loc: MN

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:51 PM

Sorry to hear about that... I am using 0.21 version, and it is working fine for me. 

#6 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:05 PM

Generally speaking, the video card companies update their version of OpenGL along with their specific card drivers. I'd recommend updating them if you haven't done so recently.

Clear skies.

Edited by BlueMoon, 11 June 2021 - 11:14 PM.

#7 ah.clem

ah.clem

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:37 PM

Thanks, BlueMoon. I tried that first, but I just might be out of luck on this Carbon X1 as the Intel GPU update says that it's at it's latest and greatest. I did write the devs at stellarium.org so, fingers crossed.
  • BlueMoon likes this

#8 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:43 AM

No worries. Ah. Okay, the Lenovo Carbon X1, integrated Intel graphics. Hope they can help you out. waytogo.gif 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics