•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oberwerk 15x70 Deluxe Report

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 Fiske

Fiske

Soyuz

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 19 June 2021 - 11:20 AM

Kind of like the CA sufferings of others I encountered when I bought a 6 inch f8 achro. And the abuse that was hurled towards me and heaped on me for not being bothered by it when I looked at Jupiter. I was trying to see the GRS and other features on the planet, not looking for a purple halo around it!lol.gif

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

#27 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 19 June 2021 - 12:01 PM

Is there something in particular you want me to look for?

I would like to know how well the two tubes of the 25x100 point into the same direction. Ideally the star in the foccused tube is in the center of the fully defocussed ball, if that makes sense. But more likely it is going to be near the border or maybe even outside. It could be a little above or to the left/right. If you observe the size of the defocussed ball relative to the AFOV one could estimate convergence/dipvergence angles (notice third picture in this thread). I am curious how tight Oberwerks QC really is compared to APMs. My APM 20x100 arrived right at the limit of its specification.

• Fiske, j.gardavsky and Echolight like this

#28 Fiske

Fiske

Soyuz

Posted 19 June 2021 - 12:50 PM

What a great optical check to do, IHF. It never occurred to me. I will definitely try that at the next opportunity and will follow up with what I see.

Thank you! grin.gif

Fiske

• ihf and Echolight like this

#29 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:21 PM

OK- I get it.  A couple "Alpha" CF Porro models still use "old style" focusers, anything else using "modern" (bad, low-quality) CF focusers won't compare.  It's nice that you'd like to buy a 25x100 Deluxe, available in your choice of IF or CF (you should get the IF wink.gif  But I'm afraid that when you compare that $469 binocular to our $3000 BT-100XL-SD, you will find much to complain about.

I'm actually trusting your word Oberwerk, that the central focuser is of high quality.

So, I'll go for a Deluxe CF, most likely 10x50. And I'll do the comparison with only the Skymaster's focuser, but I'm pretty sure your binoculars will win. wink.gif

I just have a few questions:

1 - how much is the total rotation of the Deluxe focuser in degrees?

2 - and how much does it measure, from close range to infinity?

3 - does your quality control also apply to binoculars sold in Europe?

Thank you,

Henry

#30 OBERWERK

OBERWERK

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: OH

Posted 20 June 2021 - 12:10 PM

1 - how much is the total rotation of the Deluxe focuser in degrees?

2 - and how much does it measure, from close range to infinity?

3 - does your quality control also apply to binoculars sold in Europe?

1 - 240 degrees

2 - 6mm focus shaft travel

3 - For oberwerk.eu, Q/A is by RPOptix.  

#31 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 June 2021 - 01:32 PM

1 - 240 degrees

2 - 6mm focus shaft travel

3 - For oberwerk.eu, Q/A is by RPOptix.  

What the heck, Kevin. Your answers are not very comforting.

1 - The 240 degrees of the Deluxe is much less than the 400 degrees of the Skymaster!

You told me that "the center focusers on the Deluxe Series are among the best on the market" and I understood that it has a lot more rotation, due to a tighter pitch than other lower quality focusers, when you said that "it's due to a slower design that makes the focuser shaft pin-to-focuser wheel spiral track contact more of a wall than a ramp".

But from the numbers you give me now, it doesn't seem to be that way at all.

2 - ok, but I was asking for it in angular degrees.

3 - I'm sorry that it's not you, the man who controls the European binoculars, but I understand that logistically it would be more laborious. I just hope everything is ok. And when it arrives, I'll make a report. 

#32 OBERWERK

OBERWERK

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: OH

Posted 20 June 2021 - 02:29 PM

What the heck, Kevin. Your answers are not very comforting.

1 - The 240 degrees of the Deluxe is much less than the 400 degrees of the Skymaster!

You told me that "the center focusers on the Deluxe Series are among the best on the market" and I understood that it has a lot more rotation, due to a tighter pitch than other lower quality focusers, when you said that "it's due to a slower design that makes the focuser shaft pin-to-focuser wheel spiral track contact more of a wall than a ramp".

But from the numbers you give me now, it doesn't seem to be that way at all.

By "slow", I was referring to a change in our focuser long ago to prevent defocusing from pressure on the eyepieces.  Bottom line is they work well (without the use of sticky grease), they last forever, and the other parts of the system (such as ocular arms) are robustly designed to minimize flex and backlash.  

• ECP M42 likes this

#33 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 June 2021 - 02:38 PM

OK thanks. I'll let you know.

#34 Cestus

Cestus

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:06 PM

I decided to shift my inventory a bit. I gifted my 11x56 lw to an aspiring astronomer. To replace it I ordered the 15x70 Deluxe. I wanted something that I could more easily take on flights or long car trips where I didn't want the weight of the 20x80, but would still give me great views. I wait with anticipation.

• Fiske and ECP M42 like this

#35 Fiske

Fiske

Soyuz

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:32 PM

I think a topic for binocular purchase rationalizations would be a winner!

This is a good one.

waytogo.gif

#36 Cestus

Cestus

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2021 - 09:56 AM

I just used my new Obie 15x70 last night. I was very impressed. It didn't go as deep as my 20x80 and I didn't expect it to, but it gave very clear views. It is lighter and easier to use and transport. The optics were quite good and everything was in order as you can expect with Oberwerk QC.

• Fiske, John Miele, astronomus1930 and 2 others like this

#37 John Miele

John Miele

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:58 PM

Hi Cestus,

Great to hear!

I am still happy with mine. I am almost finished with my homebuilt bino chair project. Might get a pseudo chance to try it tonight. I can't wait to mount the 15x70s and go star cruising!

#38 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 06 July 2021 - 11:06 AM

This thread has now been reopened after some action to make it more compliant with our ToS.

Please keep it friendly and play nice. For the next lock will be permanent.

Thank you.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#39 Cestus

Cestus

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 July 2021 - 10:00 AM

Thank you, I don't want to see this forum become like the rest of the net.

So the other night I used my new 15x70's to find M 80. I've had a bit of trouble given my light pollution situation. But I did see it, faint, but there. I look forward to viewing the moon with it.

Edited by Cestus, 07 July 2021 - 10:01 AM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#40 Fiske

Fiske

Soyuz

Posted 07 July 2021 - 11:22 AM

Good work on M80, Cestus. Appropriate for July 4th, too. wink.gif

My next comparison project may be an Oberwerk 25x100 Deluxe versus 100XL-SD showdown. grin.gif Kevin B himself suggested it. lol.gif

(Hint: both instruments are excellent IMO.)

Fiske

• Lyons77 likes this

#41 John Miele

John Miele

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:45 PM

Here's a bit of a follow up...

After a few weeks of use, the objective lens covers now snap into place quite easily. They seem to have worn in just a bit and fit perfect.

The main focusing action has also become less stiff and smoother. It too has sort of worn in and is quite acceptable to use.

I  just came in from a quick session looking at the waxing Crescent Moon using the 15x70s on my monopod and the focus continues to snap into place. There is no fussing to find focus. When it is focused...you know it!  My unit stays in focus and does not drift. The Lunar surface detail was crisp and sharp.  And yes, there is a very thin greenish line of CA around the limb. These are not apos. But the views are still excellent.

I then looked at Venus and Mars below and to the right of the Moon which are nearly in conjunction. I estimate less than a degree apart. It was still twilight but Mars was easy to see and had a faint reddish tint. Venus was dazzling but the monopod is a little too shaky to tell if I could see any sort of phase. But the lack of flaring off bright objects like Venus still surprises me from a binocular this big. 

So after about a month of use I am totally satisfied with their performance and would recommend these as an excellent option in the lower mid-range of binoculars. 

P.S. my bino-chair is coming along slow but is almost ready. Another couple days and I'll have it done! Very excited to see how it goes!

cs...John

Edited by John Miele, 13 July 2021 - 08:50 PM.

• Phil Barker, Terra Nova, astronomus1930 and 1 other like this

#42 Cestus

Cestus

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2021 - 09:38 AM

Here's a bit of a follow up...

After a few weeks of use, the objective lens covers now snap into place quite easily. They seem to have worn in just a bit and fit perfect.

The main focusing action has also become less stiff and smoother. It too has sort of worn in and is quite acceptable to use.

I  just came in from a quick session looking at the waxing Crescent Moon using the 15x70s on my monopod and the focus continues to snap into place. There is no fussing to find focus. When it is focused...you know it!  My unit stays in focus and does not drift. The Lunar surface detail was crisp and sharp.  And yes, there is a very thin greenish line of CA around the limb. These are not apos. But the views are still excellent.

I then looked at Venus and Mars below and to the right of the Moon which are nearly in conjunction. I estimate less than a degree apart. It was still twilight but Mars was easy to see and had a faint reddish tint. Venus was dazzling but the monopod is a little too shaky to tell if I could see any sort of phase. But the lack of flaring off bright objects like Venus still surprises me from a binocular this big. 

So after about a month of use I am totally satisfied with their performance and would recommend these as an excellent option in the lower mid-range of binoculars. 

P.S. my bino-chair is coming along slow but is almost ready. Another couple days and I'll have it done! Very excited to see how it goes!

cs...John

I was looking at the same moon with the same binos and it was indeed crisp and clear, despite poor seeing.

#43 sneeds

sneeds

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 14 July 2021 - 05:00 PM

As a new owner of an OB 25x100 Deluxe IF binocular I'm not complaining. It's an amazing value. grin.gif

Fiske

Yup I'd have to agree!  And I like the hard case that came with mine too.

(It really improves my ability to split doubles...lol.gif )

But there is something to be said about the 'extras' with binos like neck strap (very useful on the 25x100s), case, objective covers (as John has pointed out)...

@John: Enjoy the views!  15x70 hits a sweet spot and Obies are very nice.

• Fiske likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics