•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

auto stacker what am I doing wrong

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:29 PM

I ran this image  with pipp first. I thought it looked ok but this it what I get when I try to stack with auto stacker. The second image is the same except just a prom the same day. I seam to be able to get kind nice results with proms but a full disc not so much as you see. 

Any suggestions, ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• auto stacker full disc cropped 061221.jpg
  • 061221prom1.jpg

#2 Borodog

Borodog

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:41 PM

What are your settings? First thing I see is that your APs are way too small for white light solar. Try setting them to the maximum, 400.

Also, how was this captured? Did you use flats? How was it tracked?

Edited by Borodog, 12 June 2021 - 09:43 PM.

#3 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 13 June 2021 - 05:32 AM

A few more details could help.  What were the conditions, were clouds interfering during capture, how was seeing, how long was the capture, were you tracking, did you use multisize AP's, did you try planet instead of surface analysis?  I can see this happening when clouds pass in front during a capture or there are some corrupt frames included in the AVI/SER.

#4 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2021 - 10:30 AM

What are your settings? First thing I see is that your APs are way too small for white light solar. Try setting them to the maximum, 400.

Also, how was this captured? Did you use flats? How was it tracked?

Im using a coronado pst single stacked Ha, zwo 178mc. The imaging software that came with cam and trying sharp cap same results. I have no tracking mount at this time so only can have sun in view maybe 15 secs at a time till it drifts past the field of view. The pipp avi seams stable it does bounce around some.  I.ve tried planet/ surface. Been clicking different options like a mad man. still can't get a decent stack on a full disc. proms seam to come out ok not the best but for what I'm working with ok. for now I'm only stacking 100 frames or 5 secs of avi. I've dried diff size AP's still garbage results.

• Borodog likes this

#5 Borodog

Borodog

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:23 AM

When you say it "bounces around some", what does that imply? Slight jostling or the Sun is sometimes mis-tracked? First I would skip PIPP and see how Autostakkert handles the image stabilization. After stabilization, play through the frames and kick out (spacebar) any frames that are mis-tracked. Second, if you are drifting through without flats, that could be a huge problem. Try using Global instead of Local quality. You will not get as sharp of an image, but you might eliminate the problems of trying to register APs that are changing gradient as they move relative to the vignetting. Definitely use the largest possible APs.

#6 DavM

DavM

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Almelo, Netherlands

Posted 13 June 2021 - 01:03 PM

I had the same with a full disc after the partial eclipse. I tried PLANET instead of surface and it worked perfectly!

Dave

• Borodog likes this

#7 Borodog

Borodog

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 13 June 2021 - 01:20 PM

I had the same with a full disc after the partial eclipse. I tried PLANET instead of surface and it worked perfectly!

Dave

The OP should of course try it, but it may not work with the Sun drifting across the frame and no flats.

OP, if you can post the raw video for download somewhere, I'd like to take a stab at it.

#8 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2021 - 06:04 PM

This is the same day only difference is  image was taken with ASI studio and zoomed in 1980x820 I think I did auto stack this but every time I try a full disc stack ....well you see the results garbage. 

Confused on why.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-06-12_14_18_31Z_lapl5_ap24001_conv.jpg

#9 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2021 - 06:08 PM

When you say it "bounces around some", what does that imply? Slight jostling or the Sun is sometimes mis-tracked? First I would skip PIPP and see how Autostakkert handles the image stabilization. After stabilization, play through the frames and kick out (spacebar) any frames that are mis-tracked. Second, if you are drifting through without flats, that could be a huge problem. Try using Global instead of Local quality. You will not get as sharp of an image, but you might eliminate the problems of trying to register APs that are changing gradient as they move relative to the vignetting. Definitely use the largest possible APs.

This is the same day only difference is  image was taken with ASI studio and zoomed in 1980x820 . I did auto stack this but every time I try a full disc stack ....well you see the results garbage.

Confused on why.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-06-12_14_18_31Z_lapl5_ap24001_conv.jpg

#10 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Trinidad

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:01 PM

Planet may work. But if you want, set surface and an anchor point in the disk. Try 120 point size

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics