•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Save record of telescope position over observation session

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ragaltron

ragaltron

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:47 PM

Hello!

Does anyone know of a hardware+software solution that can save a record of where in the sky a Push-To telescope was pointing over the observation session? I'd love to sample the position at, say, 10Hz and then be able to seek through the movements later. I think it would help me (as a beginner) to be able to replay where I got stuck star hopping and also I think it would be fun to be able to fast-forward through past observing sessions.

Does an off-the-shelf option like Nexus II + SkySafari support something like this? If not, maybe I can pair the hardware with code I write myself? I've started digging into ASCOM and INDI, etc. but I'm having trouble finding examples of a use case like this (most common use cases seem to be more focused on updating position vs. reading position).

Thanks for any ideas/advice you can offer!

#2 ExploringTheFrontier

ExploringTheFrontier

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:38 AM

KStars/EKOS has an “Analyze” tab with records of all aspects of an imaging session. You can open the logs again, and click on particular events to get details like the RMS during a particular capture or guiding session. It tracks the Alt/Az and RA/Dec coordinates as well.

https://indilib.org/...le-analyze.html

It also allows you to step through the imaging session and change the scale of the data.

I think that sounds closest to what you want. As a fellow beginner, I’ve definitely found it useful for figuring out what is happening. For install, I picked up a $55 Rapsberry Pi 4 4GB + a 32GB microSD card with Astroberry on it, which has the KStars+EKOS suite preinstalled. There are Windows/Mac installers as well, but I have no experience with those platforms + KStars.

• ragaltron likes this

#3 ragaltron

ragaltron

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for this pointer! I spent some time looking through the Ekos source code today and have a much better sense now of how to retrieve "mount" data from INDI. (And I think Ekos might work off-the-shelf for some of what I'm trying to do also.)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics