•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone make a white light solar filter for IS binoculars?

Binoculars DIY Equipment Filters Solar
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob.Redshift

Jacob.Redshift

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:29 PM

Howdy Astro Buddies,

I am thinking of making a Baader safety solar film filter for a pair of canon image stabilized binoculars. 

I have done a nice build for an SCT with the Baader film and I love it, but that had a lot of room for safety screws as part of the build that actually thread into tapped holes in the front cell of my SCT.

I’m trying to think of how to make a safely secured fit onto binoculars. I want something more secure than a pressure fitting. Thank you for your advice, insights, and any images you may supply!

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:49 PM

Baader Astrosolar

#3 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Apollo

• Loc: Flagstaff

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:56 PM

yes - using 52mm - 58mm step up rings (I have the 10x42s).  I made cardboard rings that fits tightly in the 58mm opening with the solar film bonded to the rings.  Of course it needs to be well bonded to the ring and a tight fit so they don't fall out or get blown out by the wind, or else glue them in.  They thread into the main lens cells and work great - assuming you model is threaded.

• Jacob.Redshift likes this

#4 Oberon

Oberon

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Hunter Valley NSW Australia

Posted 13 June 2021 - 05:41 AM

Howdy Astro Buddies,

I am thinking of making a Baader safety solar film filter for a pair of canon image stabilized binoculars. 

I have done a nice build for an SCT with the Baader film and I love it, but that had a lot of room for safety screws as part of the build that actually thread into tapped holes in the front cell of my SCT.

I’m trying to think of how to make a safely secured fit onto binoculars. I want something more secure than a pressure fitting. Thank you for your advice, insights, and any images you may supply!

While I've built many solar filters, for my Canon stabilised binoculars I bought glass filters from Seymour Solar, they have a screw for securing to the short barrel, and work really well.

gallery_217007_5191_58841.jpg

Other solar filters I have built for other binoculars...

gallery_217007_5191_36904.jpg

My solar filter kit...

gallery_217007_4746_57406.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, jtsenghas, Jacob.Redshift and 2 others like this

#5 JOhio

JOhio

Lift Off

• Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:54 AM

Howdy Astro Buddies,

My setup is not as elegant as Jonathon's but has worked for me.  I have a Burris IS binoculars and has a much shorter nose on the objectives. I used 1/2" baltic birch plywood and Baader Astrosolar film.

Attached with a mini bungee cord

Hope this helps.

Joe

#6 JOhio

JOhio

Lift Off

Posted 13 June 2021 - 10:13 AM

Having problems uploading photos.  Need to leave and will try later.

#7 JOhio

JOhio

Lift Off

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:13 AM

IMG_0321.JPG

Edited by JOhio, 13 June 2021 - 11:14 AM.

• Jacob.Redshift and LU1AR like this

#8 JOhio

JOhio

Lift Off

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:14 AM

IMG_0322.JPG

• Jacob.Redshift and LU1AR like this

#9 Jacob.Redshift

Jacob.Redshift

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:30 PM

Thanks, Everyone! I really appreciate the details you all provided. I have to check and see if they’re threaded. I think they are. They are not mine, but I am planning to build the solar filters for them as a surprise gift for the owner. 

I’ll post some pictures when I can get to the project.

#10 Napp

Napp

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:43 PM

If not threaded you can make tubes that fit around the barrels.  I always tape solar filters to scopes and binoculars for added safety.

#11 Jacob.Redshift

Jacob.Redshift

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:46 PM

If not threaded you can make tubes that fit around the barrels.  I always tape solar filters to scopes and binoculars for added safety.

Yeah, I was thinking if it were threaded, I’d build off of that if practical. I’ll probably end up going tube style like the set more glass.  But I really do like the optical quality of the baader film I’ve used. 

#12 Napp

Napp

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:59 PM

Yeah, I was thinking if it were threaded, I’d build off of that if practical. I’ll probably end up going tube style like the set more glass.  But I really do like the optical quality of the baader film I’ve used. 

The Baader Solar Safety Film is the best!  I have Baader film for my binoculars and my SCT.  I have a Hershel wedge for the refractors.

#13 Oberon

Oberon

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Hunter Valley NSW Australia

Posted 02 July 2021 - 06:31 AM

My Canon’s have threaded barrels, and I use a pair of standard camera UV filters to protect the lenses just as one would do for a camera. While I can imagine adapting a screwed fitting to solar film, the glass Seymour Solar filters work so well I don’t see the point.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Binoculars, DIY, Equipment, Filters, Solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics