•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First try at time-lapse

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tom M

Tom M

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 13 June 2021 - 12:10 AM

This is a first attempt at a time-lapse from earlier today and covers roughly an hour. The seeing was mediocre at best with high clouds passing through and the temps in the 90's.

Still have a lot to learn and need to improve the processing but this was mainly to confirm my new mount works and also plays well with the Hinode guider.

Taken with LS60MT DS, ASI174MM + 3x barlow. Processed in AS!3, ImPPG & PS.

LQ0ZNTR.gif

• BYoesle, Lost in Space, Jim Waters and 12 others like this

#2 Robinodavo

Robinodavo

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Biarritz, France

Posted 13 June 2021 - 02:36 AM

Great results Tom for your first animation !

#3 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 13 June 2021 - 05:24 AM

Excellent animation despite the high clouds which make it tough to keep the background consistent!  Wonderful motion inside the proms.

#4 chemman

chemman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 13 June 2021 - 06:45 AM

That is a great first animation.  Going through the process helps to make better animations but a huge part is luck.  Sure glad we don't have to pour chemicals in a darkroom any more.  Although that would have been a big acomplishment in 8 or 16mm on a projector, lol.   

Chuck

#5 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 13 June 2021 - 06:54 AM

Congrats on first timelapse animation Tom! Looks great!!!

Michael

#6 philmor56

philmor56

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bolton, ON

Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:00 AM

Very nice Tom!

I'm looking forward to seeing more. waytogo.gif

Cheers

#7 Tom M

Tom M

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:22 AM

Thanks all.

I captured this so it also included the surface details but with the variable seeing and clouds it made including the surface pointless as it would get totally blown out any time the clouds interfered.

The stretching was done using ImPPG. I've watched a tutorial or 2 on YT but what's the best way when trying to capture both surface and proms for animations w/o having to record a ton of actions for PS? For this one all I did in PS is the final crop and colorization.

• astro rocketeer likes this

#8 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:38 AM

Thanks all.

I captured this so it also included the surface details but with the variable seeing and clouds it made including the surface pointless as it would get totally blown out any time the clouds interfered.

The stretching was done using ImPPG. I've watched a tutorial or 2 on YT but what's the best way when trying to capture both surface and proms for animations w/o having to record a ton of actions for PS? For this one all I did in PS is the final crop and colorization.

Sometimes you just have to accept that unless conditions are perfect, where you have a really bright prom, great seeing and some nice action on the surface, you just have to work with something in between what you can do with a single image that you can manipulate a lot, and that which you can do the exact same to each and every frame with something like ImPPG.  Or you are going to spend a HUGE amount of time with a 60 - 120 frame animation.  Any time you have any type of cloud moving in front of your image you are going to get problems with brightness, sharpness, etc.  I have had those animations where everything clicked and it was really easy to get wonderful details on both the surface and proms with no flickering, changes in sharpness, etc.  This is always when seeing is absolutely amazing and there is no interference with high clouds.

Typically, unless there is something really interesting on the surface near a prom I want to do an animation of, I simply expose for the prom and then black out the disk as you did here to emphasize the prom.

This is the most dramatic  one out of hundreds that I have done where everything was absolutely perfect:

get.jpg?insecure

• hopskipson, mikela and astro rocketeer like this

#9 Lost in Space

Lost in Space

Vendor - Galactic Rocks

• Vendors
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:52 AM

ohmy.png  waytogo.gif  GREAT JOB!!!

#10 2Barrel

2Barrel

Vostok 1

• Loc: S. Jersey

Posted 13 June 2021 - 12:58 PM

Excellent work Tom.

#11 lorenzo italy

lorenzo italy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Montichiari (Bs) Italy

Posted 13 June 2021 - 12:59 PM

Excellent first animation.
Congratulations.

Lorenzo

#12 MikeKy

MikeKy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lexington, Ky

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:03 PM

Better than my first, for sure. Good job!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics